BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Thu, Jun-25-2015, 10:48:44 PM   #51
dhigham

In the garage:

Canada

Default Re: Comprehensive CSL Intake Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhigham View Post
Hey guys, I am troubleshooting a problem with my CSL airbox conversion. I've installed the TTFS MAP rail / MSS54HP ecu / GSR airbox. Everything runs fine, but the car has ZERO power (by zero, I mean Camrys are pulling off the line ahead of me without trying... and my pedal is to the floor). It is very sad, yes. My car ran perfect before the conversion with a standard TTFS tune.

All of my wiring seems to be okay (tested with a volt meter and datalog shows all sensors to be working). Car runs perfectly smooth, starts fine cold/warm, idles fine, accelerates fine (but does so VERY slowly). I originally tried running the car without moving the fuel pump relay pin from X60002 Pin 11 -> X60004 Pin 10, and today switched the pin over to the empty slot in X60004 with no noticeable change (runs almost the same, maybe a little more power). Here are some more details which may help:

-Stock US cams (not-CSL)
-Jun '01 build vert
-6MT
-No flap
-Green fuel pump relay (came this way from factory... pin locations were verified today)
-3 error codes: 6, 124, 130

I am waiting for a reply from TTFS but maybe someone on here can help.

*PS thanks to the OPs for all the info it made the wiring conversion very straightforward.
TTFS sent a revision to the tune and that fixed the problem. Not sure what the tune parameters were or if the car was in limp mode with no indication.

As for the conversion the car feels awesome with the new MAP rail setup and the growl/ power is awesome at WOT. Very pleased with the conversion so far!
Jump to top dhigham is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Oct-01-2015, 11:25:20 PM   #52
cozmo kraemer

United States

The wiring DIYs show replacing the wire in Pin 17 of x60003 with the ground from the MAP sensor. What does that wire originally ground? If anyone has a full MSS54HP wiring diagram, I guess that would be helpful and answer my question. I couldn't find one by searching.

I originally wired the ground to Pin 16 which was suggested in another thread. I have had a sub 3000rpm hesitation which I have been chasing and a cold start, rough running problem. If I unplug the MAP sensor, the car seems to behave better. I was chasing VANOS and TPS issues, but the VANOS checks out now, as does TPS. So, on to the MAP and associated wiring/tuning.
2004 E46M3 - BBS RGR - RE11, BMW Motorsport 3.91, Eibach Pro Street S Coilovers (500/600), GC plates, SSV1 Headers/CPI slip fit catted/resonated section 1, Karbonious CSL intake, Shrick 280/272 cams, CSL DME Conversion, TTFS tune, OEM CSL front and rear seats

2010 - X5 4.8 Msport - the boring daily driver

My Journal

Previous - '95 M3, '94 FD RX7 (single turbo and LS6 swapped), '98 Integra Type R, '89 325i, '91 318, etc
Jump to top cozmo kraemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Nov-19-2015, 02:38:52 PM   #53
Dave B
M3 collector

Italy

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3dragon View Post
Alternator signal (March 2004+ Cars)
  • Requirements:
    • 12527510674 x 2 (Cluster and DME pins)
    • 22 AWG wire
  • Pinout: Black Connector Cluster Pin 2 -> X60004 Pin 1
  • Coding: Set “GENERATOR_UEBER_CAN” to nicht_aktiv
What is "black connector cluster" as listed here? Is it the 8-pin guy on the driver side wall of the box next to the 4-way split of the hot wire? (It comes from the engine harness.)

There's an empty pin on the 3-pin alternator plug itself, but it's not #2, plus I assume if that was where this was going it'd just say that connector by name...
Jump to top Dave B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Nov-19-2015, 03:09:09 PM   #54
m3dragon
CSL M3 / Raptor / 12C

In the garage:

United States

Use the pin out instructions.

All you are doing is punching pins in or T tapping them.

Ignore all the garbel speak.

NorCal drive organizer guy
Drive database and photo locations
NorCal CSL build thread - US to CSL Conversion
Jump to top m3dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Nov-19-2015, 09:20:23 PM   #55
Dave B
M3 collector

Italy

That's what I'm confused by. Pins out of pin 2 of something I'm not understanding (as opposed to "X60004" or "MAF harness, which I can identify). What is "black connector cluster?"
Old Thu, Nov-19-2015, 10:48:51 PM   #56
terraphantm

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave B View Post
That's what I'm confused by. Pins out of pin 2 of something I'm not understanding (as opposed to "X60004" or "MAF harness, which I can identify). What is "black connector cluster?"
Should say "black connector of cluster" - as in literally the black connector that plugs into the instrument cluster (there's a black one and a white one)
Old Fri, Nov-20-2015, 03:07:19 PM   #57
Dave B
M3 collector

Italy

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3dragon View Post
IAT Sensor
  • IAT pin 2 to MAF harness pin 3 or DME X60003 pin 14 (Ground)

Flap position sensor
  • FPS pin 3 to MAF harness pin 4 or DME X60003 pin 14 (Power)
Found another... same pin being used as power and ground on different things? Typo? Is there a reason we aren't just following the CSL pins and use X60003 pin 25 for IAT's ground?

(I'd just use the MAF but I don't actually have that harness anymore. Actually I'm just going to plug things in wherever Terra tells me to anyway.)

Last edited by Dave B; Fri, Nov-20-2015 at 03:38:10 PM.
Old Fri, Nov-20-2015, 08:43:41 PM   #58
terraphantm

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave B View Post
Found another... same pin being used as power and ground on different things? Typo? Is there a reason we aren't just following the CSL pins and use X60003 pin 25 for IAT's ground?

(I'd just use the MAF but I don't actually have that harness anymore. Actually I'm just going to plug things in wherever Terra tells me to anyway.)
Yeah that seems like a typo. I *think* the ground is supposed to be pin 15, but I have to double check that.

You can just follow the CSL pins, but those pins are used for ground for a lot of things, so it adds some work compared to just reusing an existing ground or running a wire to one of the unused grounds
Old Fri, Nov-20-2015, 11:07:23 PM   #59
Dave B
M3 collector

Italy

Quote:
Originally Posted by terraphantm View Post
Yeah that seems like a typo. I *think* the ground is supposed to be pin 15, but I have to double check that.

You can just follow the CSL pins, but those pins are used for ground for a lot of things, so it adds some work compared to just reusing an existing ground or running a wire to one of the unused grounds
25 - (OE location is 22 and 25 for IAT) had an existing ground in it so I ended up hacking into that one, which ended up being far messier than I had hoped since I had a nice perfect length pinned end ready to go in. I was too lazy to run back inside and up to the computer to check the diagrams to see if any other pins (ie 15 that you mention) might also be grounds.

Speaking of pins in use, two of the three flap motor pins were occupied too. I left it alone and will re-visit that when I actually get a snorkel.
Old Sat, Nov-21-2015, 01:49:44 AM   #60
terraphantm

In the garage:

United States

Those pins are originally used for the MAF. CSL repurposes them for the flap sensor.