BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Sat, Dec-02-2017, 07:39:15 PM   #1
mazez

United States

Default E46 m3 smg strange issues

Picked up a clean e46 m3 smg. Wouldn't shift when I put in maximum shift speeds, so I drove the car in the lowest shift speed and had no issues. One day when launching the car, once again it would not shift, then all of a sudden locked up the rear wheels. I had to limp the car in 2nd gear and it would stall. Left the car in neutral idling one day and it just started creeping forward and was about to run me over. Also reverse goes forward for some reason. Had the code for the gear position sensor, replaced it even though the one already in it looks brand spankin new, had no luck. I have a big fancy scan tool that can runs smg tests but it always fails, so i can't even adapt the gps. I can engage each gear manually with the scan tool. When I try to put the car in gear it makes a bunch of clicking noises like its trying to engage but cannot. I pulled all the compression springs and none are broken, and the blind plug seems fine. I have a couple guesses of what it could be but I need help. The blind plug could have possible been misaligned, the compression springs don't have enough tension because they are old? (new compression springs are way firmer than the ones I pulled out) or the gps needs to be adapted but I can't get it to adapt since there are smg faults that immediately come back after clearing, SMG PUMP? OR SMG ACTUATOR?
All help is greatly appreciated, Ive been trying to diagnose this car for far too long its been sitting pretty on the lift taking up space.

Just to recap
1. Compression springs not broken
2. Clutch opens and closes
3. New gps sensor
4. SMG and Trans fluid at proper level
5. SMG pump primes
6. Gears engage manually with scan tool

Last edited by mazez; Sat, Dec-02-2017 at 07:44:45 PM.
Jump to top mazez is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sat, Dec-02-2017, 07:51:17 PM   #2
icecream
Registered Apples

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: E46 m3 smg strange issues

What are you trying to adapt the gps with?
Does it fail while adapting or does it fail to start at all because of another fault? If it is the latter, gt1/dis will let you continue, just have to click start or whatever again and it it will ask if you want to continue with faults stored, click yes. If it faults while trying to adapt you must have a fault code stored (you should have one stored either way). Can you post the faults?
If it fails adapting in the middle of the process, what gear does it fail at?
Jump to top icecream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Dec-02-2017, 08:45:38 PM   #3
mazez

United States

It gives the position sensor selection angle p1849 code. Im using an autel MS906p Diagnostic tool. It fails to start at all because of that one fault but has the capability of doing everything. So I'm kind of stuck in a pickle. I have the inpa CD and cable laying around somewhere. I was thinking I should wait and replace all the compression springs anyways instead of just the one that commonly fails, since I have the car in pieces. Put everything back together and then perform further diagnosis as necessary. I will get back to you after I perform a couple more steps.
Appreciate the help
Thanks
Old Sun, Dec-03-2017, 12:46:29 AM   #4
MrVond
The Phanto///M

In the garage:

United States

it seems that the system is trying to find the gears. your gear position sensor might be on its way out.
Old Sun, Dec-03-2017, 05:41:11 AM   #5
RedM3/4

United States

How many miles on the car, and the clutch? My gut before you answer is a mechanical clutch issue, like the pin that pushes the fork, TOB ,etc.

ADS
Jump to top RedM3/4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Dec-09-2017, 01:25:25 AM   #6
mazez

United States

Replaced all the compression springs, it wouldn't even go into any gear with the new gps so I put the old one back in. Trying to adapt the transmission but it fails at "shift gate position cannot be set". It also jumps back in neutral whenever I select 5th gear with the scan tool, although all other gears are fine.
Old Sat, Dec-09-2017, 02:32:11 AM   #7
e46Dan

United States

I've found my smg doesn't like to be adapted when cold. It will fail unless I've driven it for a while first. What kind of clutch are you running?

Last edited by e46Dan; Sat, Dec-09-2017 at 02:36:03 AM.
Jump to top e46Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Dec-12-2017, 01:50:09 AM   #8
mazez

United States

I actually got to a further point with adaptation when warmed up but failed at "electrical value select angle main sensor" I got sick of spending so much time on it and dropped it off at RRT.
Thanks for all help.