BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Thu, Oct-08-2015, 12:20:19 PM   #1
1slowz06

United States

Exclamation E46 M3 04 SMG won't display gear, won't start, locked in gear - Please Help

Hey Everyone,

Before instantly getting flamed, I have read almost every sticky I can find and have searched multiple forums trying to find an answer to my problem. I rarely post, and only do so when I actually need help. This forum has been of immense help in the past and now I am back looking for more help.

Let me start with what the current issues are:

1. Vehicle will not start!
2. Car is locked in gear, BUT in the neutral slot of the SMG.
3. No gear displays for the SMG indicator on the dash

What I did prior to the issues arising:

1. Took the car to Jiffy Lube to get the state inspection done for Texas.
2. Car failed, because it wouldn't connect through the OBDII and apparently wasn't providing any power? Odd, because when I hook up my handheld scanner it lights right up and scans just fine...
3. I drove her home no problem and parked.
4. I decided to check some of the fuses in the glovebox including the OBDII and "others" I apologize, but I cannot recall EXACTLY what fuses I pulled.
5. Upon pulling fuses and reinserting them, the M3 will now not start.
Thinking I may have blown a fuse or put one back in the wrong spot, I proceeded to check every fuse for the appropriate amperage (right location) and checked with a fuse light and all of them are solid.
6. I then went to the dealership and got a new Salmon relay and swapped it out. No dice. The original Salmon relay was in perfect condition as well...
7. I proceeded to ensure the battery had the appropriate voltage (brand new). I checked to ensure the hood was shut properly and hard. I made sure the trunk was closed multiple times.
8. Left negative battery disconnected overnight and no dice.
9.. Current lights displayed on the dash with key in "2" position. Battery, Oil, DSC in middle, Brake, Seatbelt, Tire Pressure (exclamation point with two parentheses around it?)

I am thinking the car may have thought I was trying to steal it and it is immobilized through the EWS?? Is this even possible? How would I "undo" this?

Someone with some knowledge please help in any way you can. Thank you in advance!!!
Jump to top 1slowz06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Oct-08-2015, 12:49:48 PM   #2
kokgo20

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: E46 M3 04 SMG won't display gear, won't start, locked in gear - Please Help

There is bigger fuses in the fuse box behind the small regular ones that r held with 2x 8mm nuts, requires the fuse box to come out tho, not sure what each fuse is for but worth checking

Build thread
05/2004 SMG PY/BLK - 600 TCKline - CPI Headers & resonated Sec1- Stoptech BBK 6 pod front & 4 pod rear with steel lines - 75mm Studs conversion - PF RTABs & FCABs - AKG subframe bushings - Multi color AEs - FR-X 3.0 Projectors - Smoked Side markers - Euro bumper - V1 with hard wire & Stealth one - M Track Mod - ZCP steering rack - Dual LI - CSL Style diffuser - SCZA Exhaust - E9x Door handle LED retrofit - SCZA CSL bootlid - VEI systems custom air vent A/F & boost gauge - VEI custom air vent Water temp & oil pressure guage- Active Prima plus + FS tune - Mishimoto Radiator & Oil cooler - H&R front Sway - UUC camber arms - keyless & push to start system - clear bra - interiors red stitching contrast - Apex PS7s - 16" Spal fan
Jump to top kokgo20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Oct-08-2015, 04:22:27 PM   #3
1slowz06

United States

Default Re: E46 M3 04 SMG won't display gear, won't start, locked in gear - Please Help

Kokgo20 thanks for the tip. I was aware of the extra fuse box, but never checked the fuses. I didn't think they would be the problem since none of them were touched. I will try to take a look tonight though.
Old Thu, Oct-08-2015, 11:39:25 PM   #4
03-M3-Vert

In the garage:

United States

The EWS won't lock you out of gear.

When that is not in sync, the car will turn over ..., fire ..., and then quit in a second or two. Sorry not more helpful, but just assisting with narrowing your options.

Good Luck.
Jump to top 03-M3-Vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Oct-09-2015, 03:15:49 PM   #5
foolio
40oz. to Freedom

In the garage:

United States

Make sure your hood is closed. If so, might check the hood switch as well.

Old Fri, Oct-09-2015, 06:51:23 PM   #6
RedM3/4

United States

I'm guessing you don't hear the SMG pump prime when unlocking or opening a door after 30 minutes?
There is a large SMG fuse near the relay, I'd check that. I'd also check all large grounds and positive connections for tightness, corrosion. Remove, wire brush, replace any that don't look great. There are positive cables on starter and the under hood one. You'll have to search on here for grounds, but it is well-documented in a few posts.
An open hood will NOT cause the car not to start; it will cause it to not go into gear on an SMG.
Since you don't have SES/EML or SMG cog, I'd work on the connections and fuses and not get derailed on the SMG for now. If it has no power, it isn't going to do anything and that seems to be where you are.

ADS
Jump to top RedM3/4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Oct-09-2015, 07:31:05 PM   #7
1slowz06

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedM3/4 View Post
I'm guessing you don't hear the SMG pump prime when unlocking or opening a door after 30 minutes?
There is a large SMG fuse near the relay, I'd check that. I'd also check all large grounds and positive connections for tightness, corrosion. Remove, wire brush, replace any that don't look great. There are positive cables on starter and the under hood one. You'll have to search on here for grounds, but it is well-documented in a few posts.
An open hood will NOT cause the car not to start; it will cause it to not go into gear on an SMG.
Since you don't have SES/EML or SMG cog, I'd work on the connections and fuses and not get derailed on the SMG for now. If it has no power, it isn't going to do anything and that seems to be where you are.

ADS
SMG PUmp primes just fine for 5-7 seconds upon hitting unlock on key fob.
Old Fri, Oct-09-2015, 07:34:07 PM   #8
1slowz06

United States

I'll try to check all the connections you mentioned. Thank you
Old Fri, Oct-09-2015, 07:45:38 PM   #9
RedM3/4

United States

I'd still check the connections, but don't need to check the big fuse by the relay if it primes. You may want to check the SMG connector. I'd think if the pump primes and you changed the relay there would be power to everything, but still possible you blew some other fuse when you did that work.

ADS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slowz06 View Post
SMG PUmp primes just fine for 5-7 seconds upon hitting unlock on key fob.
Jump to top RedM3/4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Oct-11-2015, 05:47:38 AM   #10
v1rotate1

In the garage:

United States

I agree with "Foolio" ....... make sure hood is fully closed and check hood switch.