BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Sat, Jun-13-2009, 04:34:58 AM   #1
Getmine

United States

Default New twist on the SMG temp sensor Issue

I have read all the threads on the SMG HCU temp sensor. My car has the same exact symptoms listed but I have came to a different hypothesis. I went to the dealer today for diagnosis. They said the had now idea what was wrong then they wanted me to do service bulletin SIB 23 03 04for $500 dollars. I politely informed them that the subject line on bulletin read "E46 M54" and that my car has an S54 engine and a completely different tranny and has the latest service bulletin for the >2003 S54 SMG done. They admitted they were completely out of line and had no idea what the problem was.

But most importantly I got a printout of my codes and I returned 3 codes:

B1 DME MIL lights up as a result of request by SMG
69 DME:Signal, engine temperature, implausible
38 SMG: ON period, Hydraulic unit (OBDII: P1717) implausible value--Not currently present- On period B2360_S2HED

From page 39 of the document below written by bmw it appears that the Gearbox temp is calculated based on the engine temp. So if the dme has an implausible value for engine temp then the gearbox temp would also be implausible. This would then tell the tranny to disengage because the gearbox is overheating. Explaining all the codes above.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/2819600/SMG

Last edited by Getmine; Sat, Jun-13-2009 at 06:02:11 AM.
Jump to top Getmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sat, Jun-13-2009, 04:44:27 AM   #2
ferrari

What symptoms exactly?
Jump to top ferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jun-13-2009, 04:51:23 AM   #3
Getmine

United States

"Randomly throwing on the Transmission Check light and randomly cycling into neutral for around 6-15 seconds, displaying a constant "0" during an up or downshift in hot and/or humid weather. "

I live in Arizona where temps are regularly 100+ This happens pretty much every day where it is over 100 degree and I drive more than 35 minutes. It has never happened below 100. The hood/door sensors are working fine and I replaced the relay already.

Last edited by Getmine; Sat, Jun-13-2009 at 04:55:04 AM.
Old Sat, Jun-13-2009, 04:54:23 AM   #4
ferrari

Thanks, I caught the symptoms on the other thread. My problem was hitting like a rev limiter 2k too early in 4th. I don't recall lights and have never seen a zero. I have an '04 car, do we have zeros? Hmm. Maybe what I perceived as a rev limiter was going into neutral temporarily but it was happening only in 4th and at the same particular rpm, which thankfully, doesn't sound like this problem. But who knows.
Jump to top ferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jun-13-2009, 05:02:32 AM   #5
Getmine

United States

when it goes into neutral it cuts engine power to idle. You will know for sure - especially if you are in the middle of a left turn with no arrow.
Old Sat, Jun-13-2009, 05:26:17 AM   #6
RedM3/4

United States

Default That table is difficult to interpret

I didn't re-read the whole SMG manual, but from memory, there are these sensors for the tranny and HCU/tranny brain:
1) temp sensor for the HCU
2) pressure sensor for the HCU
3) temp sensor for the tranny itself
and of course, there is a
4) engine temp sensor
and other sensors such as gear position sensors, for example.

So I'm not 100% clear what the table is trying to say with "calculate gearbox temp based on engine temp", but looking at the other "Measures (column heading)", I believe this is an action to take. In other words, I think this row supposes the temp sensor is shorted to ground so they're suggesting calculating the temp based on engine temp - but I have no way to know for sure.
My pure guesses on your codes go like this:
B1 DME MIL lights up as a result of request by SMG
- you have an error lite on, simple enough (at least if you do have a lite on!); key here is that the SMG set the error lite on.
69 DME:Signal, engine temperature, implausible
- your engine temp sensor isn't feeding a reasonable value to the DME. Is your water temp gauge normal/in the middle? Oil temp in normal position? ----I can't believe your dealer has no idea on this code----
38 SMG: ON period, Hydraulic unit (OBDII: P1717) implausible value
- assuming period means part of a cycle time, it seems the time it is "ON", being implausible, is either too long or too short. My bet is this is your best clue to the actual SMG shift issue. My take: this error is significant enough that it won't resolve itself or has happened enough times that, in either case, the SMG asks to set an error lite - code 69 above.

Honestly, if my dealer said "no idea" and was throwing darts, I'd ask for a "district tech rep" (or whatever BMW calls them) or go to another dealer, or both. I'd say go to an independant BMW tech, but most have little SMG knowledge. You may even want to call BMWNA, tell them your woes and ask them how to get a knowledgeable person to solve your problem.
Good luck,
ADS

Last edited by RedM3/4; Sat, Jun-13-2009 at 05:30:58 AM. Reason: revise wording a bit
Jump to top RedM3/4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jun-13-2009, 05:43:44 AM   #7
Getmine

United States

hmm good call on the measures column. The coolant temp will go above the center line when ambient temp exceeds 110+ it has never been in the red. The owners manual claims this is normal for extreme climates. The oil temp goes to the dot to the right of the center starting at ambient temps around 105. Implausible seems different than out of safe range. Maybe more like a dme error?

Last edited by Getmine; Sat, Jun-13-2009 at 05:49:27 AM.
Old Sat, Jun-13-2009, 06:08:36 AM   #8
Getmine

United States

Looking through the tech's notes he says "Pulled faults found SMG relay on too long" so something is telling the relay to keep the pump on for an extended amount of time.

Then he says "Also found DME temp sensor faults. went through test plan, unable to determine cause. Tech notes that dinan software installed and work has been done outside the dealership making diag unclear"

Edit: Looking further at the "Measures" column these are not all actions to take. The one right below the gearbox temp says "Hydraulic pump is switched on in fixed time intervals and with each shift for a fixed time" That is certainly not an action to take.

Last edited by Getmine; Sat, Jun-13-2009 at 06:53:07 AM.
Old Sat, Jun-13-2009, 04:07:02 PM   #9
yaja23
M Addict

In the garage:

United States

try swapping the relay? Cheap part

Orion V2 Angel Eyes, OEM LED TailLights, Valentine1 Hardwired, OEM ZCP Rims, Turner Subframe Reinforcement Kit, Vorsteiner Double Sided CF Bootlid
Jump to top yaja23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jun-13-2009, 05:35:25 PM   #10
Getmine

United States

Replaced the relay twice with no luck.