BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Sat, Mar-28-2009, 05:18:38 PM   #1
Fastdog911

United States

Default Removing intake manifold for SMG, DIY?

Ok, I have searched and have not found what I am looking for. I would like to remove the intake manifold on my SMG car. The inside is really dirty and I would like to give it a good cleaning. The yellow horns are very dirty. Questions: #1) on the pita scale 1-5 where does it lay #2) those clamps look like they need a special tool, how do you take those off without destroying them if you dont have the removal tool #3) can you clean the intake manifold if you remove it from the car #4) I see there are several SMG parts involved like the tank and some lines coming off of that, how do you remove those and are they self sealing. Any photos, advise, comments ( yes I did a search) on doing this would be a huge help! TIA

1970 911T Tangerine
1972 911T Albert Blue
1970 911E Ossi Blue

Last edited by Fastdog911; Sat, Mar-28-2009 at 05:22:44 PM.
Jump to top Fastdog911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sun, Mar-29-2009, 04:30:07 PM   #2
alpina527

United Kingdom

Its hard to describe but it is fairly easy. Clean the throttle butterflies and throttle springs at the same time.

Remove the front top cover of the air intake and the air filter housing and elbow.

You will definitely need the correct tool to get the clamps off properly. I think Snap on make one. If you don't have the correct tool. get some new clips on standby.

Remove the chrome domed nut from the dipstick tube, and pull the tube off from next to it. Just squeeze the fitting and it comes straight off.

The Smg reservoir stays put, but there is a tricky pipe to get off. You may be ok if you have small fingers. Hold the top of the fitting and pull it upwards while pulling the tube downwards. Don't force it though. If you do it properly, it comes off easily. The tank is self sealing so no fluid comes out.

Look under the plenum and slip the fuel tank regulator off its clip.

You will see a large icv pipe under the manifold which comes off with a squeeze.

After removing the TB clips, pull up the plenum gently so you can get to the small drain tube that is right under the back of the plenum.

That's it really. It's much easier the second time, that's for sure.

Check the throttle balance at the same time. You should be able to put a .002" feeler between each idle screw and lever one at a time. The feeler shouldn't fall out if all the other bodies are closed.

Whatever you do, don't undo the idle stop screws. If they need adjustment you need to undo the 8mm nuts on the lever arm rail. Number one is fixed, but the others can be adjusted by undoing the nut on the relevant arm and prying the collet open slightly with a screwdriver and pushing the arm down while doing the nut up again to close the collet.

Last edited by alpina527; Sun, Mar-29-2009 at 04:39:25 PM.
Jump to top alpina527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, May-10-2009, 11:18:52 PM   #3
hottnikkz

Thanks for the info. Do you happen to know what the clamp tool is called? I'm trying to find one. Thanks!
Jump to top hottnikkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, May-11-2009, 12:12:33 AM   #4
CaliAgents1688
Banned

United States

This is what you need ideally, although they can be removed with needle-nose pliers. Don't even bother trying to install the boot clamps with pliers unless you don't mind spending half a day trying to do so.

Jump to top CaliAgents1688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jul-15-2011, 11:05:39 PM   #5
English

In the garage:

Canada

Default Re: Removing intake manifold for SMG, DIY?

This DIY seems sketchy..so the smg reserve stays on top of the air intake box
Old Fri, Jul-15-2011, 11:12:38 PM   #6
///NNM

In the garage:

Russian Federation

see sticky for starter replacement.

YouTube DIY Videos Race Car: '03 M3 Coupe
Jump to top ///NNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jul-16-2011, 06:28:49 AM   #7
bmwm3smg2
forever stock...

In the garage:

Philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by English View Post
This DIY seems sketchy..so the smg reserve stays on top of the air intake box
DIY seems fine to me. The reservoir stays with the intake manifold.
Old Sat, Jul-16-2011, 09:11:32 AM   #8
MPOWERD
Mod Hound!

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm3smg2 View Post
DIY seems fine to me. The reservoir stays with the intake manifold.
Absolutely does, because it it attached to the intake manifold.

And the DIY is straight forward and very detailed and shows exactly how to disconnect the supply line from the reservoir to remove the intake manifold.

<> CSL Carbon Fiber Intake w/MAF, Brembo Gran Turismo, Euro Headers & Cats, K&N 69, Radenergie Carbon Fiber Strutbar
<> EAS Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills, Carbon Fiber Fender Grills, SMG Carbon Fiber Paddles, Vorsteiner 2 Sided CF VCSL Boot
<> EAS Slvr Carbon Fiber Interior Trim, Blk Carbon Fiber SMG Dome, Carbon Fiber Console, & Blk/Slvr Steering Wheel Trim
<> EAS Carbon Fiber Engine Bay, Vorsteiner Carbon Fiber Valve Cover, RPI Intake Scoops, CarPC w/Nav/MP3/HD Radio/TV
<> Eisenmann Race Exhaust, Supersprint X-Pipe with Resonator, Ekarbon 1/2 Carbon Fiber Diffuser, DEPO Smoked Corners
<> 19x8.5 19x9.5 VMR V710s in HyperSilver, Painted Corner Reflectors, EAS Carbon Fiber Emblems, Carbon Fiber Hood Vent
<> Slvr CF Pedals, OEM 2-Tone Hardtop, Windscreen, & Alarm, 6K Headlights & HID Fogs, Blk Carbon Fiber Headlight Trim
Jump to top MPOWERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jul-16-2011, 09:14:10 AM   #9
MPOWERD
Mod Hound!

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAgents1688 View Post
This is what you need ideally, although they can be removed with needle-nose pliers. Don't even bother trying to install the boot clamps with pliers unless you don't mind spending half a day trying to do so.

Not true! Needle nosed pliers are just as good, if not better than, these pliers.

I purchased a set and they bent on me when trying to install the clamps the first time I reinstalled the intake...

The next time I did it the needle nosed pliers were actually VERY easy to use and more stable when applying force to the clamps to both remove and install...

Much faster as well. It only took me 15 mintues to reattach all six clams the last time using them.

<> CSL Carbon Fiber Intake w/MAF, Brembo Gran Turismo, Euro Headers & Cats, K&N 69, Radenergie Carbon Fiber Strutbar
<> EAS Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills, Carbon Fiber Fender Grills, SMG Carbon Fiber Paddles, Vorsteiner 2 Sided CF VCSL Boot
<> EAS Slvr Carbon Fiber Interior Trim, Blk Carbon Fiber SMG Dome, Carbon Fiber Console, & Blk/Slvr Steering Wheel Trim
<> EAS Carbon Fiber Engine Bay, Vorsteiner Carbon Fiber Valve Cover, RPI Intake Scoops, CarPC w/Nav/MP3/HD Radio/TV
<> Eisenmann Race Exhaust, Supersprint X-Pipe with Resonator, Ekarbon 1/2 Carbon Fiber Diffuser, DEPO Smoked Corners
<> 19x8.5 19x9.5 VMR V710s in HyperSilver, Painted Corner Reflectors, EAS Carbon Fiber Emblems, Carbon Fiber Hood Vent
<> Slvr CF Pedals, OEM 2-Tone Hardtop, Windscreen, & Alarm, 6K Headlights & HID Fogs, Blk Carbon Fiber Headlight Trim
Jump to top MPOWERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Feb-16-2015, 10:54:37 PM   #10
BubbaTree
BubbaTree

United States

I have a few questions regarding the SMG fluid reservoir that is made into the intake manifold. Anyone have the correct P/N for the seal that fits below the screw-on filler cap? Dealer sold me an "O" ring, and the old one was more of a flat rubber washer. This reservoir leaks fluid between the body of the reservoir, and the top plate; not the screw-on filler cap, but that top plate into which it screws. Mine has leaked for years, and the dealer says it normal. What say the forum?
Jump to top BubbaTree is offline   Reply With Quote