BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Tue, Jul-31-2007, 02:54:08 AM   #41
Budman
Semi-stock M3

United States

s6, dsc off, mash gas, have fun
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Jul-31-2007, 02:23:10 PM   #42
Grey04M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thm View Post
You may think it is rev matching, and it may be doing so somewhat, but no where near as smooth or effective as giving a little gas while braking. It's one of the reasons I got the P7 brake pedal, so that on the track I can give it a little gas with my right foot while doing the braking with my left. Makes the downshifting seamless and doesn't upset the balance of the car.
No!, I know its rev matching....look it up.
Jump to top Grey04M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jul-31-2007, 02:55:05 PM   #43
thm

United States

Did you even read my post?

"You may think it is rev matching, and it may be doing so somewhat, ..."
Jump to top thm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jul-31-2007, 04:07:45 PM   #44
Nebraska_M3

Hey, guys calm down, your both correct it does and he said it does, just not as accurately as if you were assisting it in the rev-matching. We're just here to help this man learn more about his car and views from both sides never hurt anyone so let him listen to both sides and see which he preffers.
Jump to top Nebraska_M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jul-31-2007, 06:28:53 PM   #45
m3 ireland

Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budman View Post
s6, dsc off, mash gas, have fun

Jump to top m3 ireland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Aug-02-2007, 09:11:48 AM   #46
jyejye318
jye

Quote:
Originally Posted by magman007 View Post
Hello, and Let me start off by saying, I really appreciate the professional atmosphere you guys keep around here.

I have searched this topic, but even mentioning smg into the search, just seems to bring up a myriad of... SMG VS 6spd threads, So I do apologize if this topic has been discussed in length. If this is the case, please just point me in the right direction.

Anyways, for the past year or so, I have been saving and saving my hard earned money, which as many of you know, is a tough thing to do while in college. I have finally amassed enough money to purchase what I like to call, my first "realistic" dream car. Until a few weeks ago, I had the mind set that the 6spd was the proper gear box for me, until I had the pleasure to test drive an m3 with the smg system. Let me first say, Im in love. After reading on how to properly drive the smg system, I found the test drive to be remarkably smooth and I didnt find my self missing the long throw and relatively feel free standard 6spd setup.

So, I have decided to purchase an m3 with smg, I have a deposit on one now, and if all goes well on Saturday, I will be the proud new owner of an 02 titanium gray (not sure if this is the actual color, but its the best fitting description) m3 with smg.

So, I come to you m3forum.net, to teach me some tips and tricks with the smg. What are some things I should know? What tips and tricks can you share with me, to make my smg experience that much more enjoyable?

I understand that a slight lift of the accelerator is required to smooth out the shifts, either up or down, but how can I learn to down shift into first more smoothly when coming to a stop? or can I just leave it in 2nd and down shift once stopped?

These are the types of questions I have and If you have any knowledge to share with me, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks a bunch guys! Im sure I will have even more questions as the thread progresses, but this post is lengthy as it is

you will love your choose, but you need more time to find out how to deal with m3, cause it's like a race car ( for me) special with smg, when i first drive my m3 i thought i brought a bad car, and actually it's my skill problem, so just drive more, and you will learn.
Jump to top jyejye318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Aug-02-2007, 01:08:41 PM   #47
dissto
the polish pimp

Poland

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeKay View Post

6. Contrary to what some people say above, do NOT put it "N" while driving unless (a) you're trying to reset the SMG system, or (b) you're trying to start the car. You don't have as much control of the car when you're in neutral. Don't do it.
i disagree with this completely. ive been driving a manual for 17 years and i ALWAYS put the car in neutral when coasting to a stop, saves the clutch. i do this in my SMG as well. and and how do you have less control over the car? i can understand coasting down a steep hill in neutral may pose a danger, but other than that, its completely fine

2004 SMG ///M3, A08, BBS CH-R satin, custom two-tone fender gills, custom two-tone front grill, v-csl splitter, v-csl trunk, depo corners, LED angels, dice, tein s-techs...
Jump to top dissto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Aug-02-2007, 03:09:58 PM   #48
crs

I didn't know the answer to that question until recently. Was running all out thru the gears - using the paddles - and DOWN shifted at 7,000 rpm, 2nd gear. Just make sure you know your right hand from the left. It didn't blow thru 8,000 rpm and I didn't blow oil all over everything as well. Have fun.
Jump to top crs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Aug-02-2007, 03:52:53 PM   #49
dissto
the polish pimp

Poland

Quote:
Originally Posted by crs View Post
I didn't know the answer to that question until recently. Was running all out thru the gears - using the paddles - and DOWN shifted at 7,000 rpm, 2nd gear. Just make sure you know your right hand from the left. It didn't blow thru 8,000 rpm and I didn't blow oil all over everything as well. Have fun.

with smg, you cannt money shift, car wont allow it, so no need to worry about knowing your left from your right hahah

2004 SMG ///M3, A08, BBS CH-R satin, custom two-tone fender gills, custom two-tone front grill, v-csl splitter, v-csl trunk, depo corners, LED angels, dice, tein s-techs...
Jump to top dissto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Aug-03-2007, 06:15:47 PM   #50
TeeKay
Golden Bears United

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissto View Post
i disagree with this completely. ive been driving a manual for 17 years and i ALWAYS put the car in neutral when coasting to a stop, saves the clutch. i do this in my SMG as well. and and how do you have less control over the car? i can understand coasting down a steep hill in neutral may pose a danger, but other than that, its completely fine
How does doing that save the clutch? You shifts it into neutral by using the clutch, and have to shift out of neutral again into gear.

Maybe we're talking about the same thing. If the stop is RIGHT in front of me, then I will shift to N in a manual. (I won't in the SMG because the comp will do the same for me anyway.) But I won't just shift to N in other circumstances. It's good to always be in gear.

If something unexpected happens in front of or behind you, and you're in N, how can you speed up?
Jump to top TeeKay is offline   Reply With Quote