BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Sat, Jan-30-2010, 10:20:31 PM   #1
WkboardAtx
"What a long time to be gone, and a short time to be there"

United States

Default Looking for a Post Cat O2 Sensor DIY

Recently I got a code P0159 for Bank Two Sensor Two Slow response o2 sensor. I searched both here and e46 fanatics for the DIY for the M3 and was only able to find a DIY for the 325i and 328i. Can someone please direct me towards the correct DIY for the e46 M3. I understand that sensor two is post cat but which side is bank 2? Thanks in advance.
6sp, Cold WX Package, Titanium Carbon Fiber Interior Trim,Hidden Valentine one with StealthONE, Dinan exhaust, Dinan Stage 2 Software, Time Attack 19" M6 Wheels, AFE intake, RPI Scoop, CDV Delete, Depo smoked corner lights, Black kidney grills, Black side grills, Smoked reflectors, ZHP knob, EAS aurora 2 angel eyes, more to come...

Jump to top WkboardAtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sat, Jan-30-2010, 10:35:35 PM   #2
100degrees

China

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=486937

It's a hit or miss though, it may or may not work.
Jump to top 100degrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jan-30-2010, 11:11:31 PM   #3
WkboardAtx

United States

I've saw that on my search earlier but it wasn't specific enough, I need a DIY on how to get to the post 02 cats. Also need to know which one is bank 2.
6sp, Cold WX Package, Titanium Carbon Fiber Interior Trim,Hidden Valentine one with StealthONE, Dinan exhaust, Dinan Stage 2 Software, Time Attack 19" M6 Wheels, AFE intake, RPI Scoop, CDV Delete, Depo smoked corner lights, Black kidney grills, Black side grills, Smoked reflectors, ZHP knob, EAS aurora 2 angel eyes, more to come...

Old Sun, Jan-31-2010, 02:20:52 AM   #4
Jumbosock

United States

Wow it's not a quick fix. I doubt there is a DIY for just this but I think I can sum it up for you using other posts: First of all bank 1 is the header closer to the front of the car and bank 2 is the rear header. All credit goes to Mikymu since I cut and pasted his work from his header DIY. Also read everything first to see if you think you can do it. You MAY be able to see the O2 sensor by just jacking up the car and looking towards the rear of the header where they connect to section 1 to see if you think you will be able to remove it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikymu View Post

Remove strut bar before jacking up the car .................... remove left fan cradle

Remove HVAC air filter - follow step 10 from m3madrussian: http://m3.madrussian.net/diy_alarm.shtml
I did not remove it until later and pay dearly for it with cuts on hands and back pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikymu View Post
To take the plastic ///M cover off from the top of engine - pinch the valve and pull, remove the 6 nuts, take oil cap off. Put the oil cap on afterward - there you see the long black plastic holder for the O2/temp sensor wires. The O2 harness is in this plastic strip that comes out with 2 screws and 2 clips that you squeeze.

There are 2 flexible metal clips at the back of upper heat shield holding the O2/temp sensors wires - lift open the clips and gently work the wires out.

Now you need to remove the soft square rubber block - just slide it out

If you haven't jacked up the car do it now and never trust the jack. Put some jack stands under there.

YOU MIGHT BE ABLE TO REMOVE THE O2 SENSOR WITHOUT REMOVING THE REINFORCEMENT PLATE!!! Give it a try first (maybe by just removing section 1). Otherwise this is how you remove the plate:

Remove the black plastic lower front engine cover (seven 8mm screws) then Remove the 12 reinforcement plate's bolt - notice 2 of them - one each side - are bolt right into the front wishbone - hence do not jack up car on any side once plate is off to avoid messing up alignment

Full view of the glorious US headers and cats with reinforcement plate off - looks like fat boys to me - you can see the smaller temp sensor and the
Bank 1 post cat O2 and part view of the Bank 2 post cat O2 sensors. Remove the Bank 2 O2 sensor with a 22mm open end wrench.

Removing the sensor is the hardest part. You MIGHT have to remove the section 1 exhaust to get to it like in the following pics. Although in these pics the headers were loose since they were being removed which made for more room. I have a hunch section 1 will need to be completely removed. That involves removing the ten flange bolts on the front and back flanges. You push it towards the rear of the car and the whole thing drops right down:
]

Just install everything in reverse.

The torque for reinforcement plate is 59nm.

Also don't over tighten the 6 nuts that hold the plastic ///M cover on. You can ruin the cover since it's plastic.

Last edited by Jumbosock; Mon, Feb-01-2010 at 05:34:36 AM.
Jump to top Jumbosock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jan-31-2010, 02:28:01 AM   #5
M3_JD

United States

If you're doing the job, isn't it worth it to just do both while you're in there?
Jump to top M3_JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jan-31-2010, 03:52:26 AM   #6
WkboardAtx

United States

Wow thanks for putting that together!

Old Sun, Jan-31-2010, 04:09:25 AM   #7
Jumbosock

United States

you're welcome
Old Sun, Jan-31-2010, 04:31:13 PM   #8
SickSeries

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_JD View Post
If you're doing the job, isn't it worth it to just do both while you're in there?
Yeah heard this also, confirmation?
Jump to top SickSeries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Feb-01-2010, 05:31:50 AM   #9
Jumbosock

United States

Hey I told you the incorrect placement of the O2 sensor harness. The O2 harness that you are replacing is in that black plastic strip. It's held in place by 2 screws. I think there are also 2 clips you squeeze to remove it. I'll correct it on my post. Sorry I was going by memory.

Last edited by Jumbosock; Mon, Feb-01-2010 at 05:38:39 AM.
Jump to top Jumbosock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Oct-10-2010, 03:05:41 AM   #10
Hank Cohn

United States

Hey Jumbosock,

I didn't see your original uncorrected post but you must have been right the first time. The harnesses for the pre cat O2 sensors are in plain view. They are at the rear of the engine above the long plastic strip if you are standing on the passenger side.

Thanks for putting this together. I probably would not have tried this without your post. You can get to the Bank 2 pre cat 02 sensor without dropping Bank 1 from underneath the car after removing the reinforcement panel. You need an O2 sensor tool like the one sold at Bavarian Autosport (part number OSW1) , a long extension (12") and a universal joint.

You were right. It was not a quick fix but not that hard either. I am an accomplished diy'er and it took me about 3.5 hours. Again, not complicated--just a lot of stuff in the way.

hope this helps someone
Jump to top Hank Cohn is offline   Reply With Quote