BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Wed, Jul-10-2019, 07:15:04 AM   #241
M3AN
321 fun...

New Zealand

Default Re: 1999 Dakar M3 Coupe Build/Restoration Journal (Long and Picture Heavy)

I'm glad you reverted to your old cooler because that forced you to replace the coupling to the return line which absolutely would have started to seep in a few years and would have pissed you off. What you've ended up doing is a "must-do" mod. Having a removable coupling there also make draining and flushing the PS system a trivial and mess-free exercise, you decouple there and drain from the cooler (with some garden hose shoved onto the nipple).

The feed line (res -> pump) is not high pressure, the only high pressure line in the system is the pump -> rack line (which is why it's so expensive). Not important for your change but worth knowing nevertheless. The pump is gravity fed from the res.

Finally, did you save, or can you recover, you old return line (cooler -> res)? If so, grab it and cut the restrictor out of it, your new line doesn't have one. You may never need it but you can't get them as a spare/separate part so if you do need it you'll be glad you saved it. If you're planning track work or otherwise your PS fluid gets hot you'll need to install the restrictor (or have low PS fluid because it's all over your engine bay). To install the restrictor drain (and keep) your PS fluid (at your new cooler coupling), pop off the return line, drop the restrictor into that line and clamp it in place (approx. middle of hose) with a normal worm-drive clamp. Reinstall and reuse your fluid if it's still red. Profit.

Last edited by M3AN; Thu, Jul-11-2019 at 07:06:08 AM.
Jump to top M3AN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Jul-10-2019, 02:10:05 PM   #242
Texaz3

United States

Default Re: 1999 Dakar M3 Coupe Build/Restoration Journal (Long and Picture Heavy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nholmes View Post
I haven't been here in a while. It's pretty amazing how clean most of your engine is.

Thanks! Cleaned it a few times since I got the car. That is why I was so surprised when I saw dirt under the air intake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwahba39 View Post
Man that's nice! Now that you've done all the lines, a ZHP rack upgrade would be fitting

Keep up the great work. The car looks excellent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerfang View Post
wow awesome job
Thanks guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheckABS View Post
When is the next cookout? I'll make sure to swing by!

Love Dakar M3s and I love that garage stable even more.
How is that LSB doing? If you ever decide to let it go again, let me know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3AN View Post
I'm glad you reverted to your old cooler because that forced you to replace the coupling to the return line which absolutely would have started to seep in a few years and would have pissed you off. What you've ended up doing is a "must-do" mod. Having a removable coupling there also make draining and flushing the PS system a trivial and mess-free exercise, you decouple there and drain from the cooler (with some garden hose shoved onto the nipple).
Well, I didn't not revert back YET, but will do at some point. I was too tired working in Texas heat to go back and re-do it. But since I have the part now...

Quote:
The feed line (res -> pump) is not high pressure, the only high pressure line in the system is the pump -> rack line (which is why it's so expensive). Not important for your change but worth knowing nevertheless. The pump is gravity fed from the res.
Yes, I know - I mean that line from pump to rack - I did not replace that - it was completely dry. Just din't feel like messing with perfectly working part - a sure way to screw something up.

Quote:
Finally, did your save, or can you recover, you old return line (cooler -> res)? If so, grab it and cut the restrictor out of it, your new line doesn't have one. You may never need it but you can't get them as a spare/separate part so if you do need it you'll be glad you saved it. If you're planning track work or otherwise your PS fluid gets hot you'll need to install the restrictor (or have low PS fluid because it's all over your engine bay). To install the restrictor drain (and keep) your PS fluid (at your new cooler coupling), pop off the return line, drop the restrictor into that line and clamp it in place (approx. middle of hose) with a normal worm-drive clamp. Reinstall and reuse your fluid if it's still red. Profit.

Now, this is news to me. I'm glad that I saw your message BEFORE I put my trash out this morning, cause I dived into my bin and recovered that old line - will remove the restrictor this evening - thanks!

I was wondering what that additional clamp in the middle of the line was for! How come new line does not come with it?

Last edited by Texaz3; Wed, Jul-10-2019 at 05:40:56 PM.
Jump to top Texaz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jul-11-2019, 07:39:04 AM   #243
M3AN
321 fun...

New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texaz3 View Post
Now, this is news to me. I'm glad that I saw your message BEFORE I put my trash out this morning, cause I dived into my bin and recovered that old line - will remove the restrictor this evening - thanks!

I was wondering what that additional clamp in the middle of the line was for! How come new line does not come with it?

Difficult to know why it's not included but it was over engineering for a street car and mostly unnecessary. It only serves a function when your PS fluid gets really hot.

I've never seen an aftermarket cooler with the restrictor and I have seen BMW coolers without the restrictor... not sure what the patterns are.
Old Thu, Jul-11-2019, 02:50:42 PM   #244
Texaz3

United States

Quote:

Difficult to know why it's not included but it was over engineering for a street car and mostly unnecessary. It only serves a function when your PS fluid gets really hot.

I've never seen an aftermarket cooler with the restrictor and I have seen BMW coolers without the restrictor... not sure what the patterns are.
Got the sucker out:
Old Thu, Jul-11-2019, 04:45:27 PM   #245
W///

In the garage:

Thailand

That panorama picture of all your cars is amazing. I'm itching for an M2C, but trying hard to not look too hard!

P.S. I took the E36 to work as well and keep loving how raw it feels to the newer cars out there.

Jump to top W/// is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jul-11-2019, 04:55:34 PM   #246
97_4dr_5spd_m3
Old College Kid

In the garage:

United States

Those hose clamps are going to fail eventually.

The center pull clamps are for sure the way to go and will look a lot better.
Old Thu, Jul-11-2019, 05:19:28 PM   #247
cblock

In the garage:

United States

That is one impressive collection of M cars you have!

Jump to top cblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jul-11-2019, 05:29:21 PM   #248
mthreeltw

United States

i would kill for this kind of space!! very nice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texaz3 View Post