BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Sun, Jul-21-2013, 05:29:57 PM   #11
skelzy
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by akashyap View Post
Because you wont know how much to put in because you don't know how much is already in there.
The can I purchased has a separate gauge that attaches to the can. It can also be used to measure the existing pressure anytime.... Says it right on the can... So wouldn't I be able to get a base reading? Not sure why not...

2005 Coupe AW/BLK/SMG/LOADED
Jump to top skelzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sun, Jul-21-2013, 05:37:35 PM   #12
akashyap

India

Default Re: A/C feels like it needs recharge...

Systems are filled by weight not pressures. Thats the problem. Its impossible to tell how much is in the system even looking at the pressures. If you add too much you will blow seals costing you way more than originally intended. You can try it just dont add too much. And if you have another problem and your system is full and you start adding r134 you will break seals and then youre in real trouble.

X5M
Stock
Jump to top akashyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jul-21-2013, 06:49:10 PM   #13
MMME30W
I ♥ Manuel

Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by skelzy View Post
Ok, that's true. But if I find out I do in fact have a leak its gonna require big $$ to totally repair the leak (i.e.- replacing the evaporator). So I see the $40 can as a nice cheap solution to recharge the system and maybe seal any tiny leaks there are. I say tiny because my car is an '05 with 100K and the A/C has always worked. It's just not as cold now. So I'm assuming its a small, slow leak somewhere.... If the can doesn't work then I will bite the bullet and call the pro's.....
About where I was in my E46.

BTW system capacity in Oz was on the printed label underside of the hood. Mine was 26 oz.

I weighed a recharge can full and empty, difference was 13 oz.

So buy a can and fill half of it. At worst you are 125% over. I'd seriously doubt it though, since you have differential cold ness between vents, and a hiss (actually called 'cavitation') indicating a low system.

Shade tree mechanic here, but I'm a geezer, what do I know, just been messing with cars 30 years.

Can't go wrong with a good AC evacuate and recharge, obviously, but sometimes the cheap fix is 'good enough'.

...Wi not trel a holiday in Sweden this yer? See the loveli lakes. The wonderful telephone system.
And mani interesting furry animals. Including the majestik moose. A moose once bit my sister...
Jump to top MMME30W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jul-21-2013, 06:52:27 PM   #14
MMME30W
I ♥ Manuel

Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by akashyap View Post
Systems are filled by weight not pressures. Thats the problem. Its impossible to tell how much is in the system even looking at the pressures. If you add too much you will blow seals costing you way more than originally intended. You can try it just dont add too much. And if you have another problem and your system is full and you start adding r134 you will break seals and then youre in real trouble.
Second this. I found those cheap auto store can gauges very sketchy.

...Wi not trel a holiday in Sweden this yer? See the loveli lakes. The wonderful telephone system.
And mani interesting furry animals. Including the majestik moose. A moose once bit my sister...
Old Sun, Jul-21-2013, 07:21:59 PM   #15
skelzy
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMME30W View Post
Second this. I found those cheap auto store can gauges very sketchy.
Well there were a few options at Autozone. One can had the gauge incorporated into the handle. It's was the cheapest one. The one I got had a much more quality separate hose and gauge which can either attach to the can for charging or be used independently to measure current pressure in the system. It was $40. In gonna try it tonight and I'll report back

Old Sun, Jul-21-2013, 07:30:31 PM   #16
MMME30W
I ♥ Manuel

Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by skelzy View Post
Well there were a few options at Autozone. One can had the gauge incorporated into the handle. It's was the cheapest one. The one I got had a much more quality separate hose and gauge which can either attach to the can for charging or be used independently to measure current pressure in the system. It was $40. In gonna try it tonight and I'll report back
Cool.

(No pun intended. )

Old Sun, Jul-21-2013, 08:01:48 PM   #17
bigjae1976

In the garage:

United States

If you're losing Freon...there's a leak. Have a qualified shop add some UV dye to the system and look for a leak. If they can't find one its probably the evaporator.
Jump to top bigjae1976 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jul-21-2013, 11:11:06 PM   #18
MMME30W
I ♥ Manuel

Germany

Looks good. ^^^

Only comment I'd have is that looks considerably bigger than the 13 Oz sized cans I've used in the past.

Good luck!

Old Sun, Jul-21-2013, 11:43:18 PM   #19
skelzy
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMME30W View Post
Looks good. ^^^

Only comment I'd have is that looks considerably bigger than the 13 Oz sized cans I've used in the past.

Good luck!
It's 22oz. Figured for a few bucks more...

Old Mon, Jul-22-2013, 02:24:03 AM   #20
vongeiss
JerseyShoreM3

United States

I'm interested to know how this works. I've been dying in this heat wave with no a/c

2002 ///M3 Carbon Black - current
2002 ///M3 Steel grey / Imola Red - RIP
2001 325i Steel Grey - sold and missed
Instagram: @VONGEISS
Jump to top vongeiss is offline   Reply With Quote