BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E90 M3 (Sedan) | E92 M3 (Coupe) | E93 M3 (Convertible) (2008-2013)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E90 M3 (Sedan) | E92 M3 (Coupe) | E93 M3 (Convertible) (2008-2013) {Engine: S65 - Max Hp: 414 hp (420 hp Euro) at 8,300 rpm / 295 lb/ft at 3,900 rpm}

Old Sun, Jul-07-2013, 04:11:49 PM   #1
AirDoc
Wetter is Better.....

United States

Default Querie - Salvage/Rebuilt Value - E90 M3's

Hey Everyone,

I've been in the "market" for an E90 M3 since the first time I've seen one...and with some current expenditures on a Tow Vehicle last year and some house expenses - have changed my efforts/considerations.

Historically - I run away from anything with Salvage or Salvage Rebuilt "brand" on the car/title, but the more I research - it seems like a viable option.

In that sense - surfing the trusty interweb..I see Clean Title E90 M3's of year 2008 as low as $28-29k (higher mileage or distress sale).

The past few months I've seen Salvage / Rebuilt E90 and E92's in the "asking price" range of $24-$26k (Pretty high if you ask me)

So..I did some research and found more info on the web relative to valuation as follows:

According to The Auto appraiser located at http://www.theautoappraiser.com/salvage_title.htm

Industry standards followed by and noted in print by the National Automobile Dealers Association (N.A.D.A.) Appraisal Guides (http://www.nada.com/), Kelley Blue Book Market Report Official Guide (http://www.kbb.com/), the International Society of Automotive Appraisers (I.S.A.A.) and additional automotive business entities within the United States of America, all devalue a motor vehicle that is in possession of a “Salvage Title”, by 20% - 50% of the normal, fair market retail value of the vehicle without a “Salvage Title”.

In the above sense I feel (maybe right...maybe wrong) a 35% revalue of the price would be reasonable.

i.e. - $28,000(normal/lowest price for clean title 2008 M3) x 0.65 (Value correction factor) = $18,200

Obviously the type of damage that resulted in the marking of Salvage/Rebuilt would be critical and the car being thoroughly inspected by me and others prior to purchase.

I have already researched and found that I can register/tag the car, no issue and have insurance (for a reduced value).

What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance,

87 951, 88 M3 2.5L, 88 325i/S52 Project, 95 M3 Slicktop, 96 E36 TrackBeater, 97 M3/4 Slicktop

Jump to top AirDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, Jul-08-2013, 01:23:44 AM   #2
foolio
40oz. to Freedom

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Querie - Salvage/Rebuilt Value - E90 M3's

I have heard it can be difficult to get any more insurance than PLPD on a salvage title vehicle...not saying impossible, but difficult. I would probably stay away from flood damaged vehicles for daily drivers. Don't want some electronic nanny fouling up and and causing an accident or failing to protect you or other occupants. Also, you need to consider if you ever have to sell the car. It will be more difficult and you need to consider any safety liabilities for the purchasing party. Soon as you put a release in front of them from your liability if the car crashes or causes injury, they may run away. Lastly, I have no idea about this but if you are thinking of getting financing for a car like this I bet you should think twice cause I doubt you can.
With all that said, I would never purchase a salvage title vehicle unless it is to be used for parts or a track car. In addition it would be a cheap one at that...like a $6k-8k M3.
Anyway, it sounds like you are doing your homework and by the looks of your sig, you have some good experience with a variety of performance cars. I say good luck to you.

Old Mon, Jul-08-2013, 02:04:53 AM   #3
AirDoc
Wetter is Better.....

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolio View Post
I have heard it can be difficult to get any more insurance than PLPD on a salvage title vehicle...not saying impossible, but difficult. I would probably stay away from flood damaged vehicles for daily drivers. Don't want some electronic nanny fouling up and and causing an accident or failing to protect you or other occupants. Also, you need to consider if you ever have to sell the car. It will be more difficult and you need to consider any safety liabilities for the purchasing party. Soon as you put a release in front of them from your liability if the car crashes or causes injury, they may run away. Lastly, I have no idea about this but if you are thinking of getting financing for a car like this I bet you should think twice cause I doubt you can.
With all that said, I would never purchase a salvage title vehicle unless it is to be used for parts or a track car. In addition it would be a cheap one at that...like a $6k-8k M3.
Anyway, it sounds like you are doing your homework and by the looks of your sig, you have some good experience with a variety of performance cars. I say good luck to you.
Yeah...the car stuff is a sickness eh?....the "type" of car in terms of salvage is definitely a consideration - i'd rather have one that has been fixed from body damage (within reason) than a flood car definitely.

The pic of the E92 in my SIG is PurpleM3Pursuit's..and it's got me jonzin for an E90....i'm just curious if my valuation makes sense to others in the BMW community other than myself.

Let's see...

87 951, 88 M3 2.5L, 88 325i/S52 Project, 95 M3 Slicktop, 96 E36 TrackBeater, 97 M3/4 Slicktop

Old Mon, Jul-08-2013, 03:00:54 AM   #4
remix405

United States

I've bought and sold many salvage vehicles, are you thinking of buying a salvage vehicle to repair yourself and keep it? Or one that's been repaired by someone else?

Anyhow you can get a good deal if you buy a salvage vehicle And repair it yourself

Here's a website to the auctions I go to
You can find anything you want from a civic to a lambo

Iaai.com

They have auctions all over the USA look for the closest one to you. You can also check out the cars in person the day before the auction so you can asses the damage and estimate how much it's going to take to repair so you can give yourself an idea how much you want to pay for the car.

Goodluck and happy hunting
Jump to top remix405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jul-08-2013, 03:07:33 AM   #5
AirDoc
Wetter is Better.....

United States

remix - I'm looking to buy one that has already been fixed. Good to hear you have the experience - what do you think the value of a salvage/rebuilt 2008 M3 would be?

Thanks in advance!!

Old Mon, Jul-08-2013, 03:32:39 AM   #6
lucad2

In the garage:

Canada

I'd buy a salvage just for the track but that's about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"M" The most powerful letter in the world

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyskass View Post
If a new owner showed up at some meet or started talking to you in the parking lot, would you tell him to STFU and suggest he read a book?
Jump to top lucad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jul-13-2013, 06:30:32 AM   #7
P Rock

United States

I was wondering the same thing and maybe this would also be information the original poster would be interested in:

On a car that's already been fixed, is there a way to obtain pics of the damages somewhere? Do insurance companies keep pictures of cars they total out? Also is there a way to obtain info on the accident (flood? where the car was hit? etc..).

I ask because the seller will ALWAYS say it was a "minor" collision.
Jump to top P Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jul-15-2013, 02:00:29 AM   #8
MMME30W
I ♥ Manuel

Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucad2 View Post
I'd buy a salvage just for the track but that's about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm kind of here, but I totally respect anyone with the knowledge and experience to run an expensive high maintenance vehicle like an M3.

I'd just be worried about some latent defect occurring later since for me my car is my DD.

Just my 0.02, best of luck to OP.

...Wi not trel a holiday in Sweden this yer? See the loveli lakes. The wonderful telephone system.
And mani interesting furry animals. Including the majestik moose. A moose once bit my sister...
Jump to top MMME30W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jul-17-2013, 03:27:02 AM   #9
begone

United States

I just bought a salvaged 2011 M3 Coupe Black/Red w/ 31k miles - fully loaded with Competition Package. It was a gamble and still is, but then again when is buying an M3 out of warranty any different? I'll be using my M3 primarily as a track car anyways.
Jump to top begone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jul-17-2013, 03:51:40 AM   #10
AirDoc
Wetter is Better.....

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by begone View Post
I just bought a salvaged 2011 M3 Coupe Black/Red w/ 31k miles - fully loaded with Competition Package. It was a gamble and still is, but then again when is buying an M3 out of warranty any different? I'll be using my M3 primarily as a track car anyways.
OK...sounds like someone else has similar ideas.

Would you share how what type of damage and how much you paid? Feel free to PM me if you like - i'm just trying to figure out the value relative to cars that are non-salvage ...i.e. the percentage devaluation.

Thanks in advance,