BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > M3Forum Garage > Faults, Fixes and DIY
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Faults, Fixes and DIY Please share your experience and knowledge with other members by contributing your own DIY, or by helping another member find the elusive fix!

Old Wed, Apr-20-2005, 02:05:13 AM   #41
bvnmspt

Quote:
Originally Posted by azndrunkyoon
if you turn on your hazards (as they kep blinking) does the halos blink too?

No, the halos are wired to the parking lights, not to the turn signals.

Jump to top bvnmspt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Apr-20-2005, 05:09:06 AM   #42
xodus

United States

Thanks for the great tip!!!
Old Wed, Apr-20-2005, 09:31:18 PM   #43
NOMOEVO
Hi Danica

Nice diy!!! I followed your instructions for wiring to the parking lights. Fairly easy to do as well. Looks great! I did however run my wiring diff. through the engine bay but, I never would have found the right wire to tap without this post. thanks!!
Jump to top NOMOEVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Apr-21-2005, 02:50:35 AM   #44
xodus

United States

I just re-wired mine from ECU to parking light as directed today and it's awesome! For those of you may wonder how to run wire from engine bay to under the steering wheel, check this out. It's much easier than I thought. Turn working light on from inside of the car, then open ECU box and look for light coming through. You can easily run wire just by dropping wire from ECU box.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wiring1.JPG (57.2 KB, 663 views)
Old Wed, May-25-2005, 08:05:38 AM   #45
i-Spy

Talking

Hi Bvnmspt,

Thanks for the nice write up. It is really helpful and I like your idea for hooking up the Angel Eye with parking light.

I am trying to find a way to hook up the angel eye with the LED tail light also. If I understand your information correctly, the 'while/light blue' color cable from the LCM is used to 'send' the singal to the tail light, NOT power. As long as I can measure a 12V signal (using a DMM) from that cable when the park light is on, I should able to tap the Angel Eye with it.

Is that correct?

Thanks again for all your help and input!

i-SpY
Jump to top i-Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, May-25-2005, 04:25:25 PM   #46
bvnmspt

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-Spy
Hi Bvnmspt,

Thanks for the nice write up. It is really helpful and I like your idea for hooking up the Angel Eye with parking light.

I am trying to find a way to hook up the angel eye with the LED tail light also. If I understand your information correctly, the 'while/light blue' color cable from the LCM is used to 'send' the singal to the tail light, NOT power. As long as I can measure a 12V signal (using a DMM) from that cable when the park light is on, I should able to tap the Angel Eye with it.

Is that correct?

Thanks again for all your help and input!

i-SpY

The wire from the LCM does provide power to the tail light. You simply splice into that wire and route it to the relay as a trigger wire. The relay needs a 12V power supply to trigger the internal switch. Any yes, as long as you can measure 12V when the parking light is on, you can splice into that. There should be several wires that will be powered when the parking light switch is turned to position 1.... (right rear parking, left rear parking, license plate lights, etc.....) Good luck on your install.

Old Wed, May-25-2005, 07:35:39 PM   #47
i-Spy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvnmspt
The wire from the LCM does provide power to the tail light. You simply splice into that wire and route it to the relay as a trigger wire. The relay needs a 12V power supply to trigger the internal switch. Any yes, as long as you can measure 12V when the parking light is on, you can splice into that. There should be several wires that will be powered when the parking light switch is turned to position 1.... (right rear parking, left rear parking, license plate lights, etc.....) Good luck on your install.
Hi bvmspt,

Thanks for all your help. I really apprecaite.

Since I am not quite sure what's the difference involve between regular tail light and LED tail light, would that be safer to tap the Angel Eye to the cable for rear license plate? If so, do know which cable (color) is it? I guess it is also 12V, right?

Thanks again for your input!

i-SpY
Old Wed, May-25-2005, 09:03:59 PM   #48
bvnmspt

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-Spy
Hi bvmspt,

Thanks for all your help. I really apprecaite.

Since I am not quite sure what's the difference involve between regular tail light and LED tail light, would that be safer to tap the Angel Eye to the cable for rear license plate? If so, do know which cable (color) is it? I guess it is also 12V, right?

Thanks again for your input!

i-SpY

I've heard of people successfully hooking it up to their LED lights. They should be the same. There's a lot of people changing out their regular tail-lights for the LED version. They're just plug and play except the dealer needs to program the car so the burned out light indicator doesn't turn on in your dash cluster. If you used a DMM then you should feel safe with the tail-light wiring. As far as the license plate light, I don't know the color for that.

Hope that helps....

Old Thu, May-26-2005, 05:48:58 AM   #49
i-Spy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvnmspt
I've heard of people successfully hooking it up to their LED lights. They should be the same. There's a lot of people changing out their regular tail-lights for the LED version. They're just plug and play except the dealer needs to program the car so the burned out light indicator doesn't turn on in your dash cluster. If you used a DMM then you should feel safe with the tail-light wiring. As far as the license plate light, I don't know the color for that.

Hope that helps....

Hi bvnmspt,

That's good news!! You just make my day!!

Thanks a lot!!!

i-SpY
Old Thu, May-26-2005, 01:31:03 PM   #50
5moreyears

This might be a stupid question but why couldn't we use a solid state relay instead of the mechanical one that is provided. Most of them have a control voltage of 3 to 8 VDC and can handle .5amps @ 24VDC. I canít see the halo's drawing more power, or do they?