BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Wed, May-02-2018, 03:06:03 AM   #111
Volke

United States

Default Re: Under-drive Pulleys, would you do them again?

Has anybody here installed the Turner RACE power steering pulley or full Turner race kit? I want to do the Turner street alternator, and either a race or a street power steering pulley without underdriving the water pump. Just curious how heavy the steering will get with the race.
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, May-02-2018, 04:15:55 AM   #112
bimmerdriver

In the garage:

Canada

If I was not told the pulleys were installed on my car, I would not know they were installed. Before I purchased my car, I drove other cars that did not have the pulleys. I did not notice any difference. The steering is fine. The car never overheats and there are no issues with the battery staying charged. I find it hard to take anyone serious who says the pulleys are noticeable.
2002 (12/2001) M3 6MT Coupe Carbon Black on Black - ZCP/CSL Wheels, 245/35/19 Mich PS2 & 285/30/19 Conti ExtremeContact DW, H&R 15 mm Front Spacers, CSL F/R Brakes, EBC Redstuff, TMS SS F/R Brake Lines, PSS9, TMS F/R Sway Bars, TMS Rear Control Arms, TMS Underdrive Pulleys, TMS/Carbonio Intake, Eisenmann Exhaust, AutoSolutions 30% SSK, BMW Illuminated Shift Knob, BMW Performance Pedals, BMW Performance 4.10 R&P, CDV Delete, Flossmann GTR Carbon Fiber Hood/Trunk, Carbon Fiber Rear Diffuser, Euro Front Signal Lights, Euro Rear Tail Lights, Angel Eyes, Homelink

1997 328is 5MT Coupe Madeira Violet on Black - Staggered M Forged Double Spoke Wheels, Bilstein Sport, H&R Sport, M Tech Rear Spoiler (Sold)
Jump to top bimmerdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, May-02-2018, 11:38:46 AM   #113
Paulo M

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerdriver View Post
If I was not told the pulleys were installed on my car, I would not know they were installed. Before I purchased my car, I drove other cars that did not have the pulleys. I did not notice any difference. The steering is fine. The car never overheats and there are no issues with the battery staying charged. I find it hard to take anyone serious who says the pulleys are noticeable.
If you were casually test driving m3’s with stock headers, then one day decided to buy one unkowingly with catless headers + euro sec1 you probably wouldn’t realize either. Too many variables especially when they’re all different cars.

For someone that drove an m3 to a shop with stock pulleys then drove out of that shop with that same m3 an hr later with underdrive pulleys, I can tell you there’s a noticeable difference. And I don’t do that placebo crap to justify my purchases.
Old Wed, May-02-2018, 12:27:35 PM   #114
erickrayos

In the garage:

United States

when I installed my UUC pulley kit I noticed that steering is just a bit heavier. power wise I wouldn't say I feel it much but it does feel like it pulls more eagerly than before the pulley install.

Sad thing I didn't get to enjoy it as much as I spun a rod bearing after a week of install. currently trying to get it rebuilt, cleaning the engine inside and out.
Old Wed, May-02-2018, 02:00:34 PM   #115
anth

In the garage:

Canada

Agreed with low speed steering input being the a/the most noticeable change.
My advice: If you can, wait to get them on sale or used, and do them 'while you're there' to replace your belts/squeaky idler pulleys/etc. That's what I did; no regrets.
Jump to top anth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, May-02-2018, 02:59:05 PM   #116
HassanEido

In the garage:

Lebanon

yeah not much difference before or after pulleys, also no power difference on the dyno

Mods:
-Custom CF airbox
-SSV2 catless headers, Custom 2.5" dual sec1, Custom sec2 2.5" dual with e9xM X pipe, SuperSprint Race inspired custom section 3..
-Cat Cams 280 272.
-Custom dyno tune
-Tms pulleys and electric fan conversion
364.1 whp 287.8 wtq

Custom exhaust thread and dyno http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=569086
Cams thread and dyno http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=554439
Custom cf airbox thread http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=595180
Jump to top HassanEido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, May-02-2018, 03:16:04 PM   #117
mcmahonbj

United States

Rogue Engineering RACE Pulley Set. Only did it because the car was torn apart and I was "in there". Ive been told by numerous guys who strictly track their car that they aren't worth the upgrade that stock are just fine.

Old Wed, May-02-2018, 03:30:33 PM   #118
Volke

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmahonbj View Post
Rogue Engineering RACE Pulley Set. Only did it because the car was torn apart and I was "in there". Ive been told by numerous guys who strictly track their car that they aren't worth the upgrade that stock are just fine.

How does your power steering feel in parking lots? Is it manageable?

Any other benefits aside, track cars should do it just to avoid blowing out or leaking power steering lines. Helps reduce the cycles on the power steering pump and alternator too, so they should last longer. Really don't know why you wouldn't do these two. Water pump is up for debate. Personally, I'm leaning toward using a OEM size metal pulley.
Old Wed, May-02-2018, 03:40:10 PM   #119
Paulo M

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by HassanEido View Post
yeah not much difference before or after pulleys, also no power difference on the dyno
I think the difference is the way it makes the revs feel more peppy, if that makes sense. Similar to installing lightweight clutch/flywheel. Plus steering firms up a bit. After about a day of driving you get so used to it you forget you even did anything, which is a good thing as it can pass as factory.

But if you’re buying this for hp gains, then you’ll definitely be disappointed lol
Old Wed, May-02-2018, 04:16:41 PM   #120
mcmahonbj

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volke View Post
How does your power steering feel in parking lots? Is it manageable?

Any other benefits aside, track cars should do it just to avoid blowing out or leaking power steering lines. Helps reduce the cycles on the power steering pump and alternator too, so they should last longer. Really don't know why you wouldn't do these two. Water pump is up for debate. Personally, I'm leaning toward using a OEM size metal pulley.
Car will be back together before the weekend im finishing up my power steering cooler (waiting on new 45 degree fittings) then need to bleed power steering system and coolant system.