BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > Misc > Off Topic
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Off Topic Place to discuss this and that. Note: We also have "request to join" forums: Guns and Fitness.
(Threads/posts inside may contain material that is NSFW / offensive)

Old Sat, Apr-21-2018, 08:34:36 PM   #121
Serious
Banned

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: BMW is NOT playin games with the F90 m5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
TIL thereís no way thatíll ever fail out of warranty, not any of the other common failure items that require the intake manifold to be removed

... and there is some horror in having dealership quality techs remove and install your engine.
1. According to TIS the engine is not removed for knock sensor R/R. It is supported by a brace while the mounts are removed. I believe the subframe is left in place. Access is through the wheel well.

2. I donít see how itís any different from knock sensor replacement on any other BMW V8. Only difference is the removed intake manifold would be an exhaust manifold with regular flow heads. Either way itís still the same amount of work.

3. Knock sensor probably more reliable not being within 2Ē of 1000+ deg exhaust manifolds with reverse flow heads.

4. What are these other ďcommon failureĒ items that would necessitate intake manifold removal in an S63? The reason we think of intake manifolds as being often removed is because theyíre typically located in the top of the engine and restrict access to other components. Those other components havenít moved... you just remove exhaust manifold now in Hot V engines.

5. Itís still better than drilling & gluing ur car together so the trunk floor doesnít tear the **** out.
Jump to top Serious is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sat, Apr-21-2018, 10:13:56 PM   #122
SQ13

United States

Old Sat, Apr-21-2018, 10:50:17 PM   #123
Serious
Banned

In the garage:

United States

That's sick! I am so jealous I didn't go to the race this year (it's a trek from seattle tho).

boo marc for me. loudly.
Old Sat, Apr-21-2018, 11:31:49 PM   #124
SQ13

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious View Post
That's sick! I am so jealous I didn't go to the race this year (it's a trek from seattle tho).

boo marc for me. loudly.
Iím surprised he didnít come to the medical center after his incident during qualifying. Maybe heíll pay us a visit tomorrow morning. If he does, Iíll boo him for ya
Old Sun, Apr-22-2018, 04:30:14 AM   #125
bimmerdriver

In the garage:

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
Was just taking to a friend of mine whoís a genius at the local dealership. He told me that for any project where the intake manifold had to be removed (not infrequent) on the x5M and x6m (same engine as this), the engine has to be removed from the car.

Totally not harder to work on
Thanks to direct injection, the intake ports / valves on most current engines have to be media blasted. This procedure will be required several times during the life of a vehicle. For this vehicle, the engine will have to be dropped. That's going to cost serious bucks. Some manufacturers are going to direct and port injection to alleviate this issue.
2002 (12/2001) M3 6MT Coupe Carbon Black on Black - ZCP/CSL Wheels, 245/35/19 Mich PS2 & 285/30/19 Conti ExtremeContact DW, H&R 15 mm Front Spacers, CSL F/R Brakes, EBC Redstuff, TMS SS F/R Brake Lines, PSS9, TMS F/R Sway Bars, TMS Rear Control Arms, TMS Underdrive Pulleys, TMS/Carbonio Intake, Eisenmann Exhaust, AutoSolutions 30% SSK, BMW Illuminated Shift Knob, BMW Performance Pedals, BMW Performance 4.10 R&P, CDV Delete, Flossmann GTR Carbon Fiber Hood/Trunk, Carbon Fiber Rear Diffuser, Euro Front Signal Lights, Euro Rear Tail Lights, Angel Eyes, Homelink

1997 328is 5MT Coupe Madeira Violet on Black - Staggered M Forged Double Spoke Wheels, Bilstein Sport, H&R Sport, M Tech Rear Spoiler (Sold)
Jump to top bimmerdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Apr-22-2018, 04:36:13 AM   #126
bimmerdriver

In the garage:

Canada

Quote:
4. What are these other ďcommon failureĒ items that would necessitate intake manifold removal in an S63? The reason we think of intake manifolds as being often removed is because theyíre typically located in the top of the engine and restrict access to other components. Those other components havenít moved... you just remove exhaust manifold now in Hot V engines.
I'm speechless at this reply. Periodic intake manifold removal is a SOP on any direct injection engine.
2002 (12/2001) M3 6MT Coupe Carbon Black on Black - ZCP/CSL Wheels, 245/35/19 Mich PS2 & 285/30/19 Conti ExtremeContact DW, H&R 15 mm Front Spacers, CSL F/R Brakes, EBC Redstuff, TMS SS F/R Brake Lines, PSS9, TMS F/R Sway Bars, TMS Rear Control Arms, TMS Underdrive Pulleys, TMS/Carbonio Intake, Eisenmann Exhaust, AutoSolutions 30% SSK, BMW Illuminated Shift Knob, BMW Performance Pedals, BMW Performance 4.10 R&P, CDV Delete, Flossmann GTR Carbon Fiber Hood/Trunk, Carbon Fiber Rear Diffuser, Euro Front Signal Lights, Euro Rear Tail Lights, Angel Eyes, Homelink

1997 328is 5MT Coupe Madeira Violet on Black - Staggered M Forged Double Spoke Wheels, Bilstein Sport, H&R Sport, M Tech Rear Spoiler (Sold)
Jump to top bimmerdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Apr-22-2018, 06:05:47 AM   #127
Serious
Banned

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerdriver View Post
I'm speechless at this reply. Periodic intake manifold removal is a SOP on any direct injection engine.
The engine does not need to be removed to take off the intake manifolds.
Old Mon, Apr-23-2018, 11:35:00 AM   #128
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
The engine does not need to be removed to take off the intake manifolds.
I feel like we need to work on your reading comprehension skills, or at least convey to you that sometimes you have to read past the first page of the TIS into the substeps required to get there:

I have highlighted the relevant passage to assist you.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...its/1VnXZX5iSo
Attached Thumbnails. Click the image(s) to view the full size.
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	209815   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	209816  

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, 03 530i, 04 M3 wagon, and some boring stuff
Past cars: 04 M3, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Apr-23-2018, 12:37:37 PM   #129
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
1. According to TIS the engine is not removed for knock sensor R/R. It is supported by a brace while the mounts are removed. I believe the subframe is left in place. Access is through the wheel well.

2. I donít see how itís any different from knock sensor replacement on any other BMW V8. Only difference is the removed intake manifold would be an exhaust manifold with regular flow heads. Either way itís still the same amount of work.

3. Knock sensor probably more reliable not being within 2Ē of 1000+ deg exhaust manifolds with reverse flow heads.

5. Itís still better than drilling & gluing ur car together so the trunk floor doesnít tear the **** out.
1. See above

2. Exhaust components are more of a PITA to remove than intake components 100% of the time. I never go into an exhaust project without new hardware ready to go, because it's pretty much a given bolts will snap. If nothing else, most of the nuts are one time use parts. Having to remove the engine to do it is also significantly different.

3. I can't speak for every BMW engine ever, but at least on the s62 and s54, the knock sensors are also on the intake side of the engine. So, don't think this is buying them any increased knock sensor reliability.

4. How about the routine maintenance that all BMW direct injection engines require-- walnut blasting.

5. Amusing you find the e46 to be the standard to what all cars should be compared. But, not certain how a 15 minute one time procedure is worse than a routine/repeated 15 hour procedure

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, 03 530i, 04 M3 wagon, and some boring stuff
Past cars: 04 M3, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Apr-23-2018, 03:41:31 PM   #130
Serious
Banned

In the garage:

United States

BMW has changed their procedures then. The e70 x5m instructions I searched on my phone did not require engine removal. I'm sure you could still do it this way if you wanted. Likely BMW changed it cuz it was faster to just remove the entire thing and do the work on a bench.

Still in the end this is the same for any "Hot V" Ferrari, merc, alfa, Porsche. You want 600whp with a warranty? The packaging is going to be tight. That's the price paid.

Besides even if valves clogged to shit after 80000mi this thing will still make 200 more HP than any NA s54.

Last edited by Serious; Mon, Apr-23-2018 at 03:48:47 PM.