BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Wed, Dec-27-2017, 03:06:26 PM   #71
SQ13

United States

Default Re: Castrol TWS to Castrol Supercar

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogoodname View Post
Most Audi dealers carry TWS. I wonder if they still do.
They have switched to the new stuff.
Old Wed, Dec-27-2017, 04:50:51 PM   #72
JamesSJ1

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQ13 View Post
They have switched to the new stuff.
Which is....??? Edge Supercar?
Jump to top JamesSJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Dec-27-2017, 07:55:12 PM   #73
BTB

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesSJ1 View Post
Yes. Should be the same as TWS
Jump to top BTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Dec-27-2017, 07:57:35 PM   #74
BTB

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeta456 View Post
Looked up the spec sheets for TWS and Supercar and they are absolutely identical which strongly suggests to me that the oils are identical too. Pour point is -49 deg C.

Interestingly for this thread the Cold Cranking test viscosity is given as 4879 centipoise at -25 deg C while that for Castrol Edge 5W/30 LL-04 is 5700 at -30 . The test, ASTM D5293 can be carried out between -10 & -35 deg C

So the Castrol 10W/60 seems to have good Cold Cranking performance. I seem to remember comment on this before maybe on Bob is the Oil guy. Most other 10W/60's seem to be in the 6500/7000 range but I havent looked at them all.

Another reason for me to keep using Castrol 10W/60 for my car.
Yep I saw that on BITOG as well . I'll be sticking with the Castrol then unless I find myself dailying the car in real cold weather
Jump to top BTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Dec-27-2017, 09:24:47 PM   #75
icecream
Registered Apples

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerdriver View Post
10w60 is very thick oil for the temperature you describe. If you're going to run it, keep the rpm and load down until the oil temperature increases or better, run something thinner until the ambient temperature increases.
I think I have this right but 10w60 means at cold temps the oil mimics a 60 weight oil which is appropriate for the engine (I think 10w is suitable well below freezing). So as long as your temps aren't below the functional parameters for a 10w then it should be fine.
If a hot engine is ok with 60 grade oil then a cold engine should be ok with a 10w oil that mimics a 60 weight oil.
Jump to top icecream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Dec-27-2017, 11:59:23 PM   #76
SQ13

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesSJ1 View Post

Old Fri, Dec-29-2017, 04:55:37 AM   #77
RedM3/4

United States

No, you don't have it right.
The first number followed by W is the Winter number. From memory, this is the weight behavior at 0F.
The second number is the weight behavior at 212F/100C.
You WANT the oil to behave as a lighter oil when cold (10 in this case), this is the whole concept behind multiviscosity oil. then, as it heats, it behaves like a thicker oil (60 in this case).
So the numbers and construction of the products try to get around (via additives) the basic concept that oil flows thinner as temp rises.

What you really want is the same viscosity regardless of temp; since with base oils this isn't possible, they give you products with numbers that show how it behaves at these two temps.
So at 0F, it behaves like a 10. at 212 it behaves like a 60 weight oil - which is much thinner at 212F than a straight 60 oil would be at low temps.

ADS

the first number is a Winter number
Quote:
Originally Posted by icecream View Post
I think I have this right but 10w60 means at cold temps the oil mimics a 60 weight oil which is appropriate for the engine (I think 10w is suitable well below freezing). So as long as your temps aren't below the functional parameters for a 10w then it should be fine.
If a hot engine is ok with 60 grade oil then a cold engine should be ok with a 10w oil that mimics a 60 weight oil.
Jump to top RedM3/4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Dec-29-2017, 05:23:10 AM   #78
TboneM3
YNWA

In the garage:

United States

Not only that, paying attention to actual viscosity and pour point is much more important than the vague XXwXX.

This engine doesn't quite need a 10w60 anyway unless under severe, prolonged use which, if we're honest, is not the case for the vast majority. Cold climate is more important than sustained rpms for most owners and your car will run beautifully on 5w30 in most cases. If you track it, hillclimb, autox or canyon carve in the desert, etc., don't run a 5w30.

·Evolve-R Alpha N · Evolve CSL CF Airbox · Eventuri Scoop · Supersprint V1 stepped 63mm · SS V1 S pipe 63mm + 200 cell HFC · OE sect 2 60mm · SS Sport 60mm
·Besian · RE pullies/fan delete · WPC rod bearings · GroundControl S/A (Koni/Eibach 440/550) + tall RSMs · TMS Camber & Subframe plates · SPC Adj alloy rear camber arms
·RE Trans Mounts · AKG poly SUB/DIFF 95a · SDW RTAB · Weighted ///M knob + UUC DSSR + delrin carrier bush · OE CSL trunk · APEX 75mm Studs
·Sportline 8S 18"x8.5/9.5" · MPSS 245/275 · Brembo 996 36/40 345mm CSL Textar FF & 28/30 328mm CSL ATE "D738" FF · CM brackets & ss/teflon lines
·Pioneer DEH-80PRS · Eclipse PA5422 · CDT HD-6 + WS-100i · CDT EX-530 · 8" Kicker

DD/Beater: 1999 Civic LX - Kenwood x998 · PPI 1600.4 · CDT HD-6 + HD-100 · CDT EX-530 · DVC 10"
Jump to top TboneM3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Dec-29-2017, 05:51:01 AM   #79
icecream
Registered Apples

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedM3/4 View Post
No, you don't have it right.
The first number followed by W is the Winter number. From memory, this is the weight behavior at 0F.
The second number is the weight behavior at 212F/100C.
You WANT the oil to behave as a lighter oil when cold (10 in this case), this is the whole concept behind multiviscosity oil. then, as it heats, it behaves like a thicker oil (60 in this case).
So the numbers and construction of the products try to get around (via additives) the basic concept that oil flows thinner as temp rises.

What you really want is the same viscosity regardless of temp; since with base oils this isn't possible, they give you products with numbers that show how it behaves at these two temps.
So at 0F, it behaves like a 10. at 212 it behaves like a 60 weight oil - which is much thinner at 212F than a straight 60 oil would be at low temps.

ADS

the first number is a Winter number
I thought that's the way it was, then read a bunch of stuff all over the place, gave up and ended up with that conclusion. Figured you'd want the oil to act like whatever viscosity the engine was built for even at cold temps. A straight 60 would be way too thick at cold temps but a 10w60 would act like a 60weight at operating temps even though the oil is really well below operating temps. Seems 10 weight is just too light but what do I know. Either way a 10w60 should be fine in most cold weather down to quite low temps as stated in the owners manual.
Jump to top icecream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Dec-30-2017, 05:20:42 AM   #80
bimmerdriver

In the garage:

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecream View Post
I thought that's the way it was, then read a bunch of stuff all over the place, gave up and ended up with that conclusion. Figured you'd want the oil to act like whatever viscosity the engine was built for even at cold temps. A straight 60 would be way too thick at cold temps but a 10w60 would act like a 60weight at operating temps even though the oil is really well below operating temps. Seems 10 weight is just too light but what do I know. Either way a 10w60 should be fine in most cold weather down to quite low temps as stated in the owners manual.
Let me take a run at this. When you ask what weight of oil an engine requires, you really are asking what viscosity it requires at operating temperature. Therefore, if you decide the S54 requires 60 at operating temperature, that implies the viscosity. However, as you cool the oil, the viscosity increases. Straight 60 would be too thick to pour at 0 F. This is where multi-viscosity oil comes in. At operating temperature, 10 would be too light at operating temperature, but at at 0 F, it's still thicker than required, although, it's much thinner than 60. The multi viscosity rating X W Y means won't get thicker than X at low temperature and won't get thinner than Y at high temperature.
2002 (12/2001) M3 6MT Coupe Carbon Black on Black - ZCP/CSL Wheels, 245/35/19 Mich PS2 & 285/30/19 Conti ExtremeContact DW, H&R 15 mm Front Spacers, CSL F/R Brakes, EBC Redstuff, TMS SS F/R Brake Lines, PSS9, TMS F/R Sway Bars, TMS Rear Control Arms, TMS Underdrive Pulleys, TMS/Carbonio Intake, Eisenmann Exhaust, AutoSolutions 30% SSK, BMW Illuminated Shift Knob, BMW Performance Pedals, BMW Performance 4.10 R&P, CDV Delete, Flossmann GTR Carbon Fiber Hood/Trunk, Carbon Fiber Rear Diffuser, Euro Front Signal Lights, Euro Rear Tail Lights, Angel Eyes, Homelink

1997 328is 5MT Coupe Madeira Violet on Black - Staggered M Forged Double Spoke Wheels, Bilstein Sport, H&R Sport, M Tech Rear Spoiler (Sold)
Jump to top bimmerdriver is offline   Reply With Quote