BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > Misc > Off Topic
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Off Topic Place to discuss this and that. Note: We also have "request to join" forums: Guns and Fitness.
(Threads/posts inside may contain material that is NSFW / offensive)

Old Tue, Sep-18-2007, 10:41:21 PM   #1
ALTANertive

United States

Default Robert Jordan, Wheel of Time author, has passed away.

Saw this on another forum. Thought I'd share my sadness and outrage.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5g...x4PYeiI8rqBkmg

Quote:
CHARLESTON, S.C. (AP) Author Robert Jordan, whose "Wheel of Time" series of fantasy novels sold millions of copies, died Sunday of a rare blood disease. He was 58.

Jordan, whose real name was James Oliver Rigney Jr., was born and lived in this southern city most of his life. He died at the Medical University of South Carolina in Charleston of complications from primary amyloidosis with cardiomyopathy, his personal assistant, Maria Simons, said Monday. The blood disease caused the walls of Rigney's heart to thicken.

He wrote a trilogy of historical novels set in Charleston under the pen name Reagan O'Neal in the early 1980s. Then he turned his attention to fantasy and the first volume in his Wheel of Time epic, "The Eye of the World," was published in 1990 under the name Robert Jordan.

Jordan's books tells of Rand al'Thor, who is destined to become the champion who will battle ultimate evil in a mythical land.

Book 11, "Knife of Dreams," came out in 2005; there was also a prequel, "New Spring: The Novel," in 2004. The other titles in the series include "The Great Hunt," "Lord of Chaos" and "The Path of Daggers." Jordan was working on a 12th volume at the time of his death, Simons said.

"The younger devotees of the series, who seem to be legion, have a habit of dutifully rereading the complete gospel before each addition. ... (Jordan) creates a universe simple enough to master and then challenges the characters to do the same in meticulously choreographed battles against chaos and dissolution."

In a 2004 online chat on the USA Today Web site, Jordan said he hoped to finish the main "Wheel" series in two more books. "It's not an absolute promise, but I'm very much hoping for it and I think I can do it," he wrote.

Most of the books made The New York Times list of best sellers.

In an interview with The Associated Press in 2003, Jordan discussed having a best seller. The first time it happens "you go out in the middle of the floor and you do a little dance. Then you go someplace booze is being served and buy a drink for everybody in the house.

"You have to have talent to some extent I certainly hope I have talent but you have to have luck as well," Jordan said. "Once you get that first shot, that will get you noticed for the rest of your books and that will give the rest of your books a better chance."

He said in the interview that his Southern background came through in his work, even though it is set in a fantasy world.

"What I write is certainly not set in South Carolina, but I have had a number of reviewers comment on the fact that I write with a distinctly Southern voice," he said.

"It goes beyond more than simply where the story is set. I believe it is something we take in in the air and the water. It's a matter of word choices of the rhythms of sentences and the rhythm of speech in particular."

A graduate of The Citadel, South Carolina's state military college, Rigney worked as a nuclear engineer at the old Charleston Naval Shipyard before taking up writing full time in 1977. He served two tours of duty with the Army in Vietnam. He was decorated several times, including winning the Distinguished Flying Cross and the Bronze Star.

He is survived by his wife, Harriet McDougal Rigney.

Funeral arrangements had not been finalized on Monday, Simons said.
My condolences go out to his family...

On another note...

MOTHER****ER!!!
I stopped reading after the 7th book cuz it just seemed like this **** would never end. I joked that the bastard better finish the series before he died. Then he got that disease last year and i was like, "Oh...my...god." Now look. Son of a *****.

FYI, the book he was working on was going to be the last one. He had said even if it had to be 2000 pages it was going to be the last.
Jump to top ALTANertive is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Sep-18-2007, 10:44:42 PM   #2
AckM3

It should have been a trilogy. That aside, let's hope he doesn't have a son with aspirations of being a writer. Otherwise we're going to get the same load of rubbish that Frank Herbert's son produced after he died.
Old Tue, Sep-18-2007, 10:48:30 PM   #3
ALTANertive

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by AckM3 View Post
It should have been a trilogy. That aside, let's hope he doesn't have a son with aspirations of being a writer. Otherwise we're going to get the same load of rubbish that Frank Herbert's son produced after he died.
Apparently before he passed, he was able to tell his wife and another person (son?) the major final details of the book. It won't be the same but an end is better than none.
Jump to top ALTANertive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Sep-05-2018, 04:01:41 PM   #4
racingbmwm3
Illegal domestic alien

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Robert Jordan, Wheel of Time author, has passed away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AckM3 View Post
Wow, I really enjoyed all the prequels and House books. All my literary friends as well. You're actually the first I've heard that doesn't like them. Why not?

'09 335Xi
'05 Mini Cooper
'89 325iX
gone:'01 325i, '02 X5 4.6is, '87 325, 94 325i, 93 525it, 84 318i (373k miles), 71 2002
Jump to top racingbmwm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Sep-05-2018, 04:44:38 PM   #5
///M3 Madness
If I ever get out of here . . .

New Zealand

One of my favorite game shows, second only to Jeopardy. RIP.

The Golden Age of DTM
Jump to top ///M3 Madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Sep-05-2018, 06:12:41 PM   #6
racingbmwm3
Illegal domestic alien

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M3 Madness View Post
One of my favorite game shows, second only to Jeopardy. RIP.
No, wrong wheel, you are thinking of this:

'09 335Xi
'05 Mini Cooper
'89 325iX
gone:'01 325i, '02 X5 4.6is, '87 325, 94 325i, 93 525it, 84 318i (373k miles), 71 2002
Old Wed, Sep-05-2018, 06:37:37 PM   #7
M3Dom

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by racingbmwm3 View Post
No, wrong wheel, you are thinking of this:

much better show than that pat sidejacks and vanna whileits show much much better

https://www.instagram.com/d_sicily/

Porshapwr:I thought every day was steak and BJ day?
Ghost : "She'll prolly suck your balls so hard they'll hatch"
Ben Z.;The Ultimate Driving Simulation Machine
LALaw :OP has been surprised by everything that's happened since the 13th Amendment
Cars : some verts some bikes and a 2012 veyron

Jump to top M3Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Sep-10-2018, 02:00:51 AM   #8
Rakshas

In the garage:

India

Quote:
Originally Posted by racingbmwm3 View Post
Wow, I really enjoyed all the prequels and House books. All my literary friends as well. You're actually the first I've heard that doesn't like them. Why not?
They catch a ton of flak from "purists", but I also enjoyed the **** out of them. They're a different beast to the books Frank wrote but they're great in their own way.
Jump to top Rakshas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Sep-10-2018, 04:45:31 PM   #9
racingbmwm3
Illegal domestic alien

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakshas View Post
They catch a ton of flak from "purists", but I also enjoyed the **** out of them. They're a different beast to the books Frank wrote but they're great in their own way.
I'm definitely not a purist. I loved the first couple Dune books, but I feel like Frank went insane halfway thru that series and I had a difficult time finishing the last couple books.

Back to topic, I feel like I should finish the last couple books in the Wheel of Time since I put all the work into reading the thousands of pages of the series so far.

'09 335Xi
'05 Mini Cooper
'89 325iX