BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Wed, Apr-24-2013, 09:20:43 PM   #31
SunD3v1L
hi

In the garage:

Italy

Default Re: Angel Eye Disappointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by |||||||||| View Post
Good point. Guess I might just be doing HIDs in the fogs
Going with HIDs won't solve your problem either really. The light output for fogs is yellow-ish because it's supposed to cut through the fog better. If you research this intricately, you may have some very nerdy people tell you this is a myth, because the fog particles are much thicker than light or something like that; however if you look at forward facing (drivers perspective) shots in fog... the visibility with yellow is significantly than bright white or blue.

Cliffs:

Even with HIDs, the white/blue light could make visibility worse.
Old Wed, Apr-24-2013, 09:28:48 PM   #32
cheu_f50
I'll be 15 next month.

United States

lol sorry, that reminds me of this

Old Wed, Apr-24-2013, 11:05:17 PM   #33
vongeiss
JerseyShoreM3

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by |||||||||| View Post
Is that setup your DRL's, or do you have your parking lights and foglights on? This is the same look I was talking about switching to for DRLs on the first page. Looks good, same color as mine and everything

EDIT: Is there a bulb anyone can recommend for Fogs that will be as blue as the ones in this pic, or maybe close that aren't HID? I don't really want to mess with installing HIDs in the fog, but wouldnt mind picking up a whiter bulb than the stock yellow color. Im really thinking of doing this for my DRL's. What does everyone think? AE's, fogs and side markers as DRL's running all the time whenever the car is on, then flip the switch and everything stays the same, except HIDs flip on? I know Im giving it too much thought, but is this a little much for DRL's, or could this look good? I don't want to look like Im driving a spaceship down the street.

Thanks dude! Yes I had my parking lights w/ fogs on in the pic. I guess you could consider the angel eyes day time running lights since they're always on.

I would highly recommend getting an HID kit, I got mine for like $60 or something, and it's all plug and play. I have the 35 watt because I hear the 55 watt ones can cause some issues. The bulbs I have are 6000k, I went with them because they're a close match for the angel eyes, however like another member mentioned, the yellow or 3000k bulbs have better visability and IMO I love the look of the yellow. I actually just ordered a pair of 3000k bulbs so I can swap them in/out whenever I get bored with the other

In your case, I'm not sure I'd use all those lights as day time running lights. I think it would be a little much . I do have a pair of regular halogen bulbs for the fogs that are whiter than stock, they match the stock 4300k projectors very nicely, however I'm not sure where they are from, the previous owner bought them, but they are out there!

2002 ///M3 Carbon Black - current
2002 ///M3 Steel grey / Imola Red - RIP
2001 325i Steel Grey - sold and missed
Instagram: @VONGEISS
Jump to top vongeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Apr-24-2013, 11:07:51 PM   #34
Steezy

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by username11 View Post
99% of aftermarket angel eyes look ridiculous.

Take an element of good design by BMW and ruin everything that made it good. It gets to the point where the only thing you notice about the car is the giant angel eyes, like so:

Truly awful.

OEM from the correct era had a soft organic off-white which provided a congruent blend with the light housing and paint and striking contrast to the white of the Xenons inside. In comparison to the above, OEM appears as a paragon of good design and a warning to avoid bad cosmetic mods:
Agree 100%. I don't know if you like these, but I personally think these look the cleanest and best. Somewhat OEM looking.

Orion V2 4300k

Old Thu, Apr-25-2013, 12:07:30 AM   #35
||||||||||
///M Flight - Europe

In the garage:

United States

So I stopped off at Radio Shack on the way home, and bought supplies to dim my AEs as a DIY I found said. I got them to dim, but the problem is only the last 1/4 or so of the range of adjustability from the knob does anything. The first 3/4 turn just leaves the AEs with no power. The knob is extremely sensitive in that last 1/4 turn as well. You really have to slowly turn the knob to get any kind of dimming. Its almost either on or off, no real inbetween.

Is this an issue with the specs of the Potentiometer I bought, or is it a wiring issue? The pot I bought says:

Resistance: 10K ohm
Rated power: .05 watts

Is this the cause of the issue I am having? If so, what pot should I switch to instead so I can use the full range of adjustability of the switch?

Jump to top |||||||||| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Apr-25-2013, 04:42:31 PM   #36
JANDREF321

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedM3/4 View Post
they sell several products, which ones did you get? They look like CCFLs, older, and sometimes fire-starting dangerous that use ballasts. I've not installed a set of LED ones but don't see how they'd need actual ballasts. Maybe a transformer to up voltage...?

ADS
I got the Predator Orion V2 LED Angel Eyes with Remote. They are 6000k opaque that have the bluish tint like my previous ccfl ones that went out recently. I chose the opaque because the picture umnitza had showed more of a single glowing ring...in person it's still a pearl necklace. I think the ccfl ones look better honestly.
Jump to top JANDREF321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Apr-25-2013, 04:59:14 PM   #37
SunD3v1L
hi

In the garage:

Italy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANDREF321 View Post
I got the Predator Orion V2 LED Angel Eyes with Remote. They are 6000k opaque that have the bluish tint like my previous ccfl ones that went out recently. I chose the opaque because the picture umnitza had showed more of a single glowing ring...in person it's still a pearl necklace. I think the ccfl ones look better honestly.
Make sure your headlight lenses are clean... are they??
Old Thu, Apr-25-2013, 05:24:27 PM   #38
||||||||||
///M Flight - Europe

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by username11 View Post
99% of aftermarket angel eyes look ridiculous.

Take an element of good design by BMW and ruin everything that made it good. It gets to the point where the only thing you notice about the car is the giant angel eyes, like so:

Truly awful.

OEM from the correct era had a soft organic off-white which provided a congruent blend with the light housing and paint and striking contrast to the white of the Xenons inside. In comparison to the above, OEM appears as a paragon of good design and a warning to avoid bad cosmetic mods:

Maybe I'm wrong, but isn't what looks good and what doesn't a matter of opinion, and subjective? Ever heard the expression "beauty is in the eye of the beholder"? Just because you, and a dozen other people think something looks like shit doesn't mean it looks like shit. It's called an opinion, and they rarely matter, yet are often stated as fact.

Thanks for giving us your opinion on what BMW was going for when they decided to put circular rings of light inside the headlights of their cars though. Now I fully understand what is, and isn't aesthetically pleasing about them.

On a side note, I finished my dimmer last night. Works like a charm, cost $14.00 and some change once all said and done, and took me 45 minutes from start to finish. I never realized how bright these things were until they weren't anymore. Looks 10x better and made me think twice about getting rid of them.

Jump to top |||||||||| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Apr-25-2013, 05:26:12 PM   #39
username11

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steezy View Post
Agree 100%. I don't know if you like these, but I personally think these look the cleanest and best. Somewhat OEM looking.

Orion V2 4300k

Those are the best of the current aftermarket line-up. They are a good approximation of the original 5-series OEM lights. Unfortunately up close they miss a lot of the detailing of OEM:

OEM design is actually quite intricate and not evenly lit. Love this era of design before everyone jumped on the Audi super white LED bandwagon.

Last edited by username11; Thu, Apr-25-2013 at 05:30:11 PM.
Jump to top username11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Apr-25-2013, 05:28:10 PM   #40
JANDREF321

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunD3v1L View Post
Make sure your headlight lenses are clean... are they??
It only took me 3hrs to sand down and polish my wife's lenses, but these are killing me...I spent 4 hrs on one and it still looks like crap...considering getting it done or just buying new ones
Jump to top JANDREF321 is offline   Reply With Quote