BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Fri, Oct-22-2010, 11:25:39 AM   #31
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

The e46 ones look good there, but if really like to see a daytime video to get a better feel for the brightness...

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, 03 530i, 04 M3 wagon, and some boring stuff
Past cars: 04 M3, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, Oct-22-2010, 04:00:00 PM   #32
kmfurdm
Oceania

In the garage:

England

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MIKE M View Post
Ian, let us know what you choose, Im trying to find a good amber LED option as well, just i dont want to risk burning the plastic, or having them burn out or anything.

I bought those OEM ones, just for peace of mind, bc OEM is a pretty safe bet that they will work properly.
Maybe a silly question but did you do a comparison with them? I might try these out after not really being happy with the Stealth bulbs I had before. Just not enough light output for me.
Old Sun, Oct-24-2010, 01:18:33 AM   #33
mugenh22a4
เป็นคนจีน

Hong Kong

Ian, as promised, here are a couple vids of the bulbs I ordered from autolumination.com.

Mind you it's Seattle, and our next chance for sun won't be until Wednesday. Nevertheless, you can get an idea of the daytime brightness of the LED bulbs. In the first video, the bulb on the right is LED. The second video is a closeup of the LED bulb in action.

To my eyes, I'd say the brightness of the 120-led cluster is about 90% as bright as the filament bulbs. Color is a beautiful amber, not some cheesy yellow or orange you get from some other companies. I'm pleased with these bulbs; autolumination products never dissapoint me.

Whenever the sun decides to pops out, I'll update this thread with another video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTIxI_B-wrs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEc7aOwlS1E
Old Sun, Oct-24-2010, 04:54:00 AM   #34
turbo_f22_pilot

United States

Obi, these might be right up your alley. I have the cool white as my back-up bulbs and they work great. Will be trying the amber for the front turn signals in the coming weeks.

CAR:
2003 TIAG Coupe / Blk Interior / SMG / HK Premium
MODS:
EU-CSL Coded / Macht Schnell intake / OEM CSL Wheels / OEM CSL Diffuser / Dinan Exhaust
Full LED Conversion / HID fog / Aurora AE / RE RTAB FCAB

BMWCCA NCC
Jump to top turbo_f22_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Oct-24-2010, 12:33:33 PM   #35
SilberFuchs
Visca el Barca!

United States

Ian, I am not sure if you want LEDs because they tend to be brighter, or you're trying to get rid of the egg-yolk look without losing illumination brightness. If the latter, I am using the Philips SilverVision turn bulbs (http://www.powerbulbs.com/product_detail.asp?prod=69#), and to me, they look as bright as OEMs without the amber look (although they do illuminate amber just like a regular turn signal). Next time I'm at a meet, I could compare the brightness of mine to an e46 with standard bulbs.
///Mods - performance: OE CSL airbox w/ MAP sensor, OE CSL headers (Swaintech ceramic coated) & cats, Supersprint resonated X-pipe & "Street" muffler, Schrick 280/272 cams & DLC rockers, SAP delete, ECU tune, OE CSL cabin air filter housing, Rogue Octane SSK & transmission mounts, ZHP shifter knob, hollowed CDV (Zeckhausen), Mason/GSP clutch pedal, Volk Racing CE28N 18x8.5F/9.5R wheels with 245/275 tires
///Mods - appearance: OE CSL front bumper & trunklid & diffuser, piano black kidneys & gills, Depo smoked corners, OE short center console with Euro tray, AC Schnitzer aluminum pedals, 35% tint
Jump to top SilberFuchs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Oct-24-2010, 05:13:51 PM   #36
Draddy

In the garage:

United States

maybe not what you're looking for Ian, but this is what I just picked up for my car..and actually really like them:

I can see them in the reflection of the vehicle in front of me during the day, where I couldn't when I had smoked housing and crome bulbs.

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=338895

My Car (sold) -- Old M3

Last edited by Draddy; Sun, Oct-24-2010 at 05:19:18 PM.
Jump to top Draddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Oct-25-2010, 02:46:00 AM   #37
volksfragen

In the garage:

Canada

FYI, Try to stay away from the Resistors. They get up to like 300 degrees.

You can use SSS to turn off what they call "Hot" testing IIRC for the Turn signals.
Basically disables the bulb out warning without the use of resistors.

I have some $11 ones from ebay and they work perfect. Brighter than OEM halogen bulbs and Instant On-Off matches OEM tails.

Make sure to get SMD LED bulbs with leds facing all around the bulb to produce the same effect as a Halogen Bulb.

I hope this helped.
Jump to top volksfragen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Oct-25-2010, 02:52:41 AM   #38
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by volksfragen View Post
FYI, Try to stay away from the Resistors. They get up to like 300 degrees.

You can use SSS to turn off what they call "Hot" testing IIRC for the Turn signals.
Basically disables the bulb out warning without the use of resistors.

I have some $11 ones from ebay and they work perfect. Brighter than OEM halogen bulbs and Instant On-Off matches OEM tails.

Make sure to get SMD LED bulbs with leds facing all around the bulb to produce the same effect as a Halogen Bulb.

I hope this helped.
Link to where to get the bulbs you're talking about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05silverM3 View Post
Ian, I am not sure if you want LEDs because they tend to be brighter, or you're trying to get rid of the egg-yolk look without losing illumination brightness. If the latter, I am using the Philips SilverVision turn bulbs (http://www.powerbulbs.com/product_detail.asp?prod=69#), and to me, they look as bright as OEMs without the amber look (although they do illuminate amber just like a regular turn signal). Next time I'm at a meet, I could compare the brightness of mine to an e46 with standard bulbs.
I want bulbs that never go out. I love a lifetime component

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draddy View Post
maybe not what you're looking for Ian, but this is what I just picked up for my car..and actually really like them:

I can see them in the reflection of the vehicle in front of me during the day, where I couldn't when I had smoked housing and crome bulbs.

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=338895

Those look really cool... but I'd like to see a set in person to judge brightness. I've heard they're not as bright as stock...

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, 03 530i, 04 M3 wagon, and some boring stuff
Past cars: 04 M3, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Oct-25-2010, 03:08:07 AM   #39
StevoTheHobo
Literally passes gas for a living

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draddy View Post

I ordered a set of these last week. Pics to come.

2003.5 TiAg ///M3 "Betsy," Black Nappa interior
Jump to top StevoTheHobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Feb-28-2011, 02:45:34 PM   #40
onefitCPA

United States

Default Re: Looking for AMBER LED front turn signal bulbs that are at least as bright as stoc

Ian,

What did you end up installing?

Jump to top onefitCPA is offline   Reply With Quote