BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Fri, Jul-14-2017, 07:54:22 PM   #1
e46seca

In the garage:

United States

Default E46 Navigation replacement options ??

Whats up guys ... my 06 comp navigation is starting to show dead pixels and was wondering from others whom have replaced this system can you recommend any options with new technology ?? I really donít want to pay DYNAVIN for a unit when other options in the market for similar quality options...

Any eBay units to consider ?

I use an iPhone 7 by the way ..... Thanks guys ....

06 comp coupe
Tiag/Cinnamon
All options
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E46 PIC 1 .jpg (63.6 KB, 84 views)
Jump to top e46seca is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, Jul-17-2017, 01:27:03 AM   #2
e46seca

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: E46 Navigation replacement options ??

No one ????
Jump to top e46seca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jul-17-2017, 02:09:43 AM   #3
Good
@GOOD_M3

In the garage:

Australia

Don't bother with the ebay units. Processor is never powerful enough and you will run into ram issues down the line. The Xtrons Octa-Core 64Bit 2G RAM unit is my favourite.

Mods: StatusGruppe CSL Trunk, JL Motoring 1-Piece Lip
Active Autowerke Headers, Billy Boat Exhaust, .Stage 3 B-Spec Tune, Powerflex Poly FCAB & RTAB, H&R Sport Springs, Macht Schnell Stage 1 Elbow & Filter, Xtrons Headunit.

Major Maintenance: Cooling System Refresh, Subframe Bushings & Reinforcement, Differential rebuild.
Jump to top Good is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jul-17-2017, 08:00:07 AM   #4
MVAM3

Australia

Depends how involved you want to get. I've installed a Nexus 7 with some aftermarket software into my console (using a double din adapter) and it's likely more powerful than most pre-built options you can get. I also use a USB DAC going from the tablet to the amp, so the sound quality is also greatly improved.

It requires a few bit and ends, but the end result is everything you could want in a cars entertainment system, plus all the apps you could possibly want including youtube, spotify, internet etc. Ideally you'd find a USB dongle to give the tablet internet coverage, but i just tether my phone atm. All up, it probably costs 300-400 USD and a few hours of installation (mainly some soldering and running audio cables to the rear).
Jump to top MVAM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jul-17-2017, 01:54:02 PM   #5
Paulo M

United States

I'm in the same position....stick with the oem. Buy the sharp LCD screen and replace it.
Old Mon, Jul-17-2017, 06:00:13 PM   #6
Ebonywolf
Ebonywolf

In the garage:

Canada

I installed an AVIC NEX 8100 and it (has) completely updated and changed my audio experience. The 8100 is a beast and with Spotify/Bluetooth/Nav/Carplay I have everything I want.

MVAM3 is correct, it all depends on how much you want to invest. It cost me $600 for the install, circa $500 in parts and $1900.00 for the unit.

I will post pics and check my post for parts required as I did all the legwork with forum assistance.

I mean we already have the M and if you're going to keep it as most of us are, you might as well go strong!

Last edited by Ebonywolf; Mon, Jul-17-2017 at 06:19:04 PM.
Jump to top Ebonywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jul-17-2017, 06:05:33 PM   #7
E46Hoonigan

In the garage:

India

I just ordered the AVIN 9 inch Android 6.0 navigation unit. I will try to make a review on it soon.
Jump to top E46Hoonigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jul-20-2017, 10:35:44 PM   #8
Toxic0n

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVAM3 View Post
Depends how involved you want to get. I've installed a Nexus 7 with some aftermarket software into my console (using a double din adapter) and it's likely more powerful than most pre-built options you can get. I also use a USB DAC going from the tablet to the amp, so the sound quality is also greatly improved.

It requires a few bit and ends, but the end result is everything you could want in a cars entertainment system, plus all the apps you could possibly want including youtube, spotify, internet etc. Ideally you'd find a USB dongle to give the tablet internet coverage, but i just tether my phone atm. All up, it probably costs 300-400 USD and a few hours of installation (mainly some soldering and running audio cables to the rear).
I had a car computer for a few years and then the Nexus 7 for a while with a custom ROM, USB DAC, OBD adapter, reverse cam, a USB radio stick etc. Unfortunately, I could never get it to work perfectly. The ROM had a "deep sleep" function that meant instant wake up and only used 1-2% of battery per day. However, the USB devices sometimes would not get detected properly which required a reboot. Rebooting with the Nexus mounted in dash required using an app. Sometimes it would just hang while rebooting which required pulling off the dash trim to reach the power button.
Occasionally, the Nexus would not go to sleep properly and it would keep powering the USB line which fed back into the buck converter power supply and into the ACC line. This would wake the car up and drain the battery, until I wired in a diode.
I also was struggling with getting the steering wheel controls to work 100%. I have a Reisler's iBUS USB interface and wrote a custom app for it but never had enough time to perfect it.

I gave up on it a couple of weeks ago and bought a pre-made Android head unit from Ali Express for $220. It's a quad core A53, 2GB RAM unit and I could not be happier. Steering wheel controls work perfectly, it auto dims when headlights are turned on, the radio works and it's really fast. Looks OEM too.

Ground Control, Mason Engineering, HRE, ACS, Rogue Engineering
Jump to top Toxic0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jul-21-2017, 01:39:10 AM   #9
daytonaviolet
OEM CSL Whoore

Philippines

CarPlay

Tischer aka GetBmwParts
Jump to top daytonaviolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jul-21-2017, 06:39:55 AM   #10
MVAM3

Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic0n View Post
I had a car computer for a few years and then the Nexus 7 for a while with a custom ROM, USB DAC, OBD adapter, reverse cam, a USB radio stick etc. Unfortunately, I could never get it to work perfectly. The ROM had a "deep sleep" function that meant instant wake up and only used 1-2% of battery per day. However, the USB devices sometimes would not get detected properly which required a reboot. Rebooting with the Nexus mounted in dash required using an app. Sometimes it would just hang while rebooting which required pulling off the dash trim to reach the power button.
Occasionally, the Nexus would not go to sleep properly and it would keep powering the USB line which fed back into the buck converter power supply and into the ACC line. This would wake the car up and drain the battery, until I wired in a diode.
I also was struggling with getting the steering wheel controls to work 100%. I have a Reisler's iBUS USB interface and wrote a custom app for it but never had enough time to perfect it.

I gave up on it a couple of weeks ago and bought a pre-made Android head unit from Ali Express for $220. It's a quad core A53, 2GB RAM unit and I could not be happier. Steering wheel controls work perfectly, it auto dims when headlights are turned on, the radio works and it's really fast. Looks OEM too.
Thanks for the input. I still have to iron out the steering wheel controls with my JoyCon but otherwise i'm only going to use the JoyCon and a USB DAC and forget other USB Devices to reduce clutter. Luckily i haven't had any draining issues from the Nexus, but if i ever do, i'll keep your suggestion in mind. Cheers!

if that unit is $220 and it rivals the Nexus 7 install, i cant really stand by the Nexus 7 suggestion i made earlier, sounds like a better idea due to ease of installation.
Jump to top MVAM3 is offline   Reply With Quote