BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Tue, Jul-11-2017, 03:03:43 AM   #1
dustins

Canada

Default Chasing E46 M3 never ending thud while shifting

Hey guys, first off I just want to say I've read and read and google'd and google'd for hours on end but still have not been able to chase down this thud.

So the thud I get while shifting, sounds the same as the neutral to first thud which happens at stop lights often unless you wait a few seconds to engage into first. While driving and shifting I get two thuds, for example; one while removing from say 2nd gear and another while completing the shift into 3rd. It is most apparent from 1-2 2-3 and 3-4th. I always drive in sport mode/traction off but it does it even with sport mode disengaged. I notice I can reproduce the thud while rolling at say 60km/h and holding the clutch to the floor and shifting back and forth between 3rd and 4th.

After reading countless forum threads online and using some common sense here is the list of what has been done in the last 5k KMs to try to eliminate the noise which drives me bonkers;

Entire rear end (every bushing in the rear including RTABS, all replaced with OEM except diff bushings which I used ECS polys) It was something like 19 bushings total I changed.

At the same time while everything was dropped, I welded in the Turner motorsports subframe kit, and repaired very minor stress cracking on the passenger front subframe mount.

New flex disc and CSB, I also took apart the driveshaft CV and completely cleaned and repacked it with new grease. I did not replace the transmission mounts because they looked fine, and my shifter hardly moves under WOT 2nd gear.

New BC racing coil overs. (So RSTMs are out of the question)

I have also changed out the diff with another used diff (made no difference either as I had the thud also before doing all of this work)

Transmission and Diff have Redline fluid that was swapped out as well during all of this. Car has the double sided UUC selector rod shifts fairly well, although notchy under 4k rpms, but is on thew newer side so I doubt its shifter related.

I am starting to think that either I've replaced one bad diff, with another or its in the transmission. Anyone care to chime in?

Thanks in advance guys.
Jump to top dustins is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Jul-11-2017, 03:31:10 AM   #2
lippstuh

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Chasing E46 M3 never ending thud while shifting

I get the same thing too. From my googling it is known as the m clunk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mods Evolve Eventuri JIC Cross/ZMS RS coilovers Square OE Style 67 18s OE CSL trunk OE LED taillights

To be installed 996 Brembo BBK F+R RTD Mini SSK + DSSR Rogue Engineering transmission mounts Reddish plates VinceBar Valentine 1
Jump to top lippstuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jul-11-2017, 03:37:30 AM   #3
PITT M3 RR
PA

In the garage:

United States

I can add that my 02 M3 clunked, then with poly bushings and 4.10's it was terrible (reused M-variable unit). I later removed the diff and those bushings and went to a different stock diff and the clunk about went away.

My current 04 does not do it at all other than the initial. I'd say you got a second worn diff.
Old Tue, Jul-11-2017, 03:42:02 AM   #4
fattycharged
can't even

In the garage:

Zimbabwe

I'm chasing same clunk, mine kind of showed up out of nowhere though a couple months ago. I was thinking front diff bushing but I don't see much, if any, movement. If you pull the ebrake and release the clutch in first does your's still clunk during that engagement?
Old Tue, Jul-11-2017, 04:08:03 AM   #5
silvergray545

In the garage:

United States

Having the same issue after I installed my TMS rear camber arms. Everything is tight. No idea what it could be. I ordered the updated rear diff bolts. Not sure if it will help but it's worth a shot.
B&B TriFlow Section 3 | AP V2 headers | TMS Power Pulleys | aFe Drop In Dry Filter | Macht Schnell Intake Elbow | TTFS Tune | CSF Radiator & Oil Cooler | AST 4200 Coilovers | Ground Control Race Camber Plates & RSMs | TMS Rear Camber Arms | Hotchkis Front Sway Bar | Stoptech ST40 Front & Rear BBK | UUC EVO3 SSK with DSSR | ZHP Knob | Orion V4 | Matte Black Kidney/Side Grills | 35% Tint | Apex 75mm Wheel Studs | H&R Trak+ 10mm Spacers | 19" VMR CSL Reps | 245/275 Continental ExtremeContact DW
Track Stuff: Apex ARC-8s 18x10 ET25 | 275/35/18 Nitto NT01s | Schroth Quick Fits | PFC 08s

2000 BMW M Roadster 5MT - TiAg/Black
TCK D/A | Lightwerkz Projector Headlights | LeatherZ Interior Bits | BMW Performance Knob | OEM Square 17x9 Roadstars

2016 BMW M3 ZCP 6MT - AW/SO
Color Matched Front Reflectors | Lightweight Front Lip | M Performance Rear Spoiler | Black 666Ms

Instagram
E46 M3 Build Journal
Jump to top silvergray545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jul-11-2017, 04:17:48 AM   #6
dustins

Canada

I honestly don't think its bushing related, at least in my case as I've changed every bushing in the rear. I sometimes wonder if going with poly diff bushings over OEM was a mistake. I might switch them back out not sure yet.

The M-clunk is different from what I am getting. The "M-clunk" is from what I understand as the noise heard while coming to a stop and pushing in the clutch super fast and hearing the more metallic clunk, which my car does too but I am able to avoid that by manipulation.

But the thud, is different. The thud I speak of, is more like something using a rubber mallet and tapping the floor of the car.

I'm at 121k miles (196k kms)
Old Tue, Jul-11-2017, 04:21:33 AM   #7
fattycharged
can't even

In the garage:

Zimbabwe

I'm not talking about the M clunk, I'm talking about a thud with a rubber mallet sound that has over time evolved into a rubber sledge hammer...it'll even do it twice in succession, reminiscent of letting the engine lug till the point of bucking
Old Tue, Jul-11-2017, 04:26:28 AM   #8
bigjae1976

In the garage:

United States

The M variable diff has unequal output shafts so the theory is the diff will develop a clunk over time. Its not an issue.
Jump to top bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jul-11-2017, 04:26:48 AM   #9
dustins

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by fattycharged View Post
I'm not talking about the M clunk, I'm talking about a thud with a rubber mallet sound that has over time evolved into a rubber sledge hammer...it'll even do it twice in succession, reminiscent of letting the engine lug till the point of bucking
Sorry I was referring to the first reply claiming its just M-clunk.

I've never tried the e brake thing, but since I am able to reproduce this sound by rolling 60km/h holding the clutch to the floor and shifting between 3rd and 4th back and forth I believe the thud is transmission/diff related (internals).
Old Tue, Jul-11-2017, 04:29:04 AM   #10
fattycharged
can't even

In the garage:

Zimbabwe

try what I suggested, curious to see if it occurs while stationary, I believe this should determine whether it's internal to the diff....though I have been known to be incorrect