BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Wed, Jul-12-2017, 12:01:33 AM   #31
Kdubski

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Weighted Alignment

For what it's worth, here is the alignment spec sheet. Everything looks in spec so I'm praying the machine wasn't calibrated.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Jump to top Kdubski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Jul-12-2017, 01:31:12 AM   #32
EricSMG
40 something

United States

In spec doesn't mean good. Your rear toe is significantly asymmetrical - maxed on one side and min on the other. That means thrust angle <> 0 which means pull.

Also to note that your caster is very low.

'04 SG/Black 6MT || '04 JB/IR SMG
Jump to top EricSMG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jul-12-2017, 01:51:02 AM   #33
black bnr32

Canada

yeah fix that rear toe imo

probably can way closer on front camber too
Jump to top black bnr32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jul-12-2017, 01:59:23 AM   #34
EricSMG
40 something

United States

Oh good call, didn't even notice the camber. Front is imbalanced and rear is WAY WAY off, virtually zero, not even slightly close to in spec.

Note - my black car can only reach about -1.0 degree rear camber - needs adjustable arms - yours is much worse. Minimum spec is -1.5.

'04 SG/Black 6MT || '04 JB/IR SMG

Last edited by EricSMG; Wed, Jul-12-2017 at 02:03:00 AM.
Jump to top EricSMG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jul-12-2017, 05:08:18 AM   #35
bigjae1976

In the garage:

United States

That is a terrible alignment job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jump to top bigjae1976 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jul-12-2017, 05:22:21 AM   #36
tmaxx445
Likes to Eat AMGs

United States

Time for a new shop....those specs look terrible and Im not shocked that's how it drives.
2005 M3 Coupe / 6 Speed / Silver Gray Metallic / Black Nappa Leather / Premium / Cold Weather / Bi Xenons / Adjustable Bolsters / Lumbar / MKIV Navigation / Harmon Kardon Hifi / Sirius / Aux In / Bluetooth / Rain Sensor / Home Link / BMW Assist / Alarm / Hard Wired Radar Detector / LED Interior Lights / Carbon Interior Trim / Alcantara Pillars / ZHP Shift Knob / Short Shifter / Custom Tune / StreamLine Intake / IAT Relocation / Dynamic Air Scoops / Fan Delete / SS Headers / AR20 Resonator / Electric Exhaust Bypass Valve / Koni Yellow Adjustables / Eibach Pro Kit Springs / PowerFlex & AKG Poly Bushings / M Track Mode / RedLine Fluids / PFC Z-Rated Street Pads / Staggered OEM CSLs / 275 & 245 595 Evos / 12mm Front Spacer / 10mm Rear Spacer / Orion V2 Angel Eyes / Carbon CSL Splitters / Matched Reflectors / SunTek Carbon 38% Tint
Jump to top tmaxx445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jul-12-2017, 03:33:23 PM   #37
nowanker
"He's no wanker!"

United States

At last... some specs to look at.
Caster is even side-to-side, that's good. Uneven caster will cause a pull, but even up to 1/2 degree difference is usually invisible.
F Camber is NOT even... camber will def cause a pull.
Rear camber not in spec, rear toe uneven. Rear tires point the car, F tires correct the aim... Uneven rear toe will have the car driving slightly sideways down the road.
The numbers here highlight the difference between a quality alignment and a generic sh*t alignment.
Sure, the numbers can be in spec (although yours aren't), but the car still makes U turns when you let go of the steering wheel.
Good news though if you're planning to DIY the next alignment at home! Caster is a little tough to measure accurately at home. Yours is even, so it isn't causing the pull. And since it's not adjustable, you don't need to worry about it migrating off when you make other adjust's.
Jump to top nowanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jul-12-2017, 03:34:23 PM   #38
nowanker
"He's no wanker!"

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmaxx445 View Post
Time for a new shop....those specs look terrible and Im not shocked that's how it drives.
Old Wed, Jul-12-2017, 04:03:28 PM   #39
bigjae1976

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowanker View Post
At last... some specs to look at.
Caster is even side-to-side, that's good. Uneven caster will cause a pull, but even up to 1/2 degree difference is usually invisible.
F Camber is NOT even... camber will def cause a pull.
Rear camber not in spec, rear toe uneven. Rear tires point the car, F tires correct the aim... Uneven rear toe will have the car driving slightly sideways down the road.
The numbers here highlight the difference between a quality alignment and a generic sh*t alignment.
Sure, the numbers can be in spec (although yours aren't), but the car still makes U turns when you let go of the steering wheel.
Good news though if you're planning to DIY the next alignment at home! Caster is a little tough to measure accurately at home. Yours is even, so it isn't causing the pull. And since it's not adjustable, you don't need to worry about it migrating off when you make other adjust's.

But caster is what it is. There's no way to adjust it unless I'm missing some adjustment? I can change it on my Vorshlag plates but I there's 3 fixed settings.

Camber can be 1/2 degree off and still track straight. Been there. Toe is what needs to be dead on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jump to top bigjae1976 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jul-12-2017, 09:20:45 PM   #40
nowanker
"He's no wanker!"

United States

After doing a sh*tload (>1000?) of alignments....
Caster will cause a pull. Even if it isn't adjustable, nice to know whether it's even.
Camber will also cause a pull. Some cars/tires are more sensitive than others. 1/2 degree difference is BMW spec, and I consider that to be right at the edge of noticeable. Sometimes well over the edge...
Uneven rear toe will drive the car slightly sideways down the street. I can see it being theoretically possible, but I've never had one so far off that it made the car pull, without there being some additional and "more interesting" causes.
Uneven front toe gives you a crooked steering wheel, nothing else. Barring any other contributing factors, as the car is traveling, the front tires will equalize to relative straight ahead, turning the steering wheel accordingly.