BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Thu, Jul-06-2017, 05:44:07 PM   #1
Kdubski

In the garage:

United States

Default Weighted Alignment

Hi all,

Been having alignment issues with my 90k E46 M3. Ever since I got her, changed all of the struts, sway bar endlinks, FCAB, RTAB, and even ZCP package wheels.

She has a slight pull to the left on the highway, so I always have to keep the wheel slightly turned to the right. Around town this isn't noticeable, but as you can imagine at high speed it gets annoying.

I had 2 alignments done in the past 1,000 miles, and both times they told me my alignment is fine, if it pulls its a tire issue. So I swapped the tires and it still pulls... the same.

These are shops owned by guys who are performance car enthusiasts but by no means BMW enthusiasts. I recently read about weighted alignments, and I'm wondering if that slight pull is a result of them not performing the "weighted" alignment. I don't want to keep pestering these shops if the m3 in fact requires a weighted alignment and they aren't capable of doing it.

I'm tired of throwing money into the car thinking it's bent components if it's just a faulty alignment. Anyone every experience the difference between a regular/weighted alignment? Do our cars require it?
Jump to top Kdubski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Jul-06-2017, 06:06:14 PM   #2
lmtfi

United States

Default Re: Weighted Alignment

The car will track true on a standard alignment.

I assume that you have looked carefully at tires, pressure, bushings etc,
Old Thu, Jul-06-2017, 06:21:40 PM   #3
Napalm

United States

I'm still going through similar problems with my car (three years now after a body shop did some cosmetic work to it).
I had multiple shops do the alignment after getting brand new tires, replacing a few worn bushings/guibo/etc.
The last shop says they did the proper weighting, but the car still pulls to the right.
I don't have any good advice for you other than to double and triple check your bushings, suspension parts, wheel bearings etc.

I hope you have better luck than I have had on my car that used to (but seemingly never will again) drive flawlessly.
Old Thu, Jul-06-2017, 06:27:00 PM   #4
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

Threads like this remind me why I like replacing all my bushings/bearings at once, instead of trying to hunt down issues.

My advice would be to replace all the wear items you haven't replaced (and replace all the ones you used crappy pats on again) and enjoy the car for years without any weird handling issues.

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, Wife's 6mt NA RWD e91, 04 M3 wagon
Past cars: 04 M3, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jul-06-2017, 06:34:56 PM   #5
Burrell

United States

Have you checked your brakes for a sticking caliper? A slight drag can cause the car to pull to one side.
Jump to top Burrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jul-06-2017, 06:52:25 PM   #6
fattycharged
can't even

In the garage:

Zimbabwe

maybe the highway leanin
Old Thu, Jul-06-2017, 09:45:05 PM   #7
M3 dude

Australia

what alignment settings did they use? and what tyres are you running

sticking caliper, road lean and a worn component somewhere will throw the tracking out.
Jump to top M3 dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jul-06-2017, 09:56:15 PM   #8
RedM3/4

United States

This. classic symptom.
If this isn't it, ask the shop that aligned it to check for play in remaining components, including wheel bearings, tie rod ends, and you did do new hat bearings right - or at least check them?

ADS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrell View Post
Have you checked your brakes for a sticking caliper? A slight drag can cause the car to pull to one side.
Jump to top RedM3/4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jul-06-2017, 11:18:21 PM   #9
nowanker
"He's no wanker!"

United States

Please post your alignment readings!
If their machine is accurate, the angles will tell the story. If the angles are good, trading F wheels left to right is the first check...
Standard BMW practice for weighting the car calls for equal weight left and right. If you're an 'extra large' type of guy, your extra weight on one side of the center line could cause a pull due to suspension compression and camber change.
If swapping the tires side to side had no effect, a sticking caliper might easily be the culprit.
Jump to top nowanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jul-07-2017, 03:50:14 AM   #10
bigjae1976

In the garage:

United States

Those laser alignment machines can be inaccurate. They need frequent calibration checks which I'm pretty sure very few shops do.

I have been doing my own alignments for 3 years now. Takes me about 1-2 hours depending on how many adjustments you need to make. I have always been happy with myself...no reworks.

Just need:
  • A flat and level floor
  • Two 8' pieces of conduit
  • Jack stands
  • String
  • Level
  • Tape measure
  • 2"x2" wood cut to the outer diameter of the wheels
  • iPhone or protractor.
  • Wax paper
Jump to top bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote