BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Sun, May-21-2017, 12:05:19 AM   #1
iride113

United States

Default Help Tracking Down a Front End Vibration

I don't usually post on the forums anymore because everything has been so smooth with since owning my M3, but for the last 1,000 miles I've had a front end vibration that starts at 80 mph and continues as speed goes up - and in the last 250 miles shaking (or almost like a shimmy) has started as low as 45 mph.

What I've checked/replaced: Stoptech rotors and pistons rebuilt last week, GC sway bar (installed, greased, correct preset), shaking does not change if pressing on brakes, new steering rubber guibo (had about 1" play in steering and this fixed it), switched out BBS's for someone else's good wheels to see if it was a tire/wheel isssue, and brand new FCAB's 500 miles ago when bearings were done.

On Tuesday I'm taking it to an alignment shop to see if it's even possible an alignment could cause shaking even though it's almost impossible. So I'm almost out of ideas at this point. I'm not sure if it's possibly something in the steering column that could be lose. When I apply downward pressure on the steering wheel with shaking, the shimmy can almost be controlled - and the same vibration that I get through the pedals also calms down.

The only other two things I have noticed is a slight pull to the drivers side under breaking and when I air out, I notice a slight difference in camber as the passenger wheel is more tucked than the driver's. Other than that nothing else. If anyone has any ideas I'd much appreciate it as I'm pretty stumped.

Last edited by iride113; Sun, May-21-2017 at 01:35:21 AM.
Jump to top iride113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sun, May-21-2017, 01:07:17 AM   #2
ThunderMoose

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Help Tracking Down a Front End Vibration

You said that you replaced front wheel bearings?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#67 2014, 2015, 2016 NASA TX TT3 Runner-up,

FLMS Half Cage, RaceTech 4009HR drivers seat, Schroth 6-Pt Harness, E.S.S. Fire System, AIM SOLO DL with ECU Harness, SmartyCam, Angle Aluminum with VAC dead pedal, Sparco Steering Wheel on MOMO hub, MCS Suspension, Hyperco 800F 900R springs, Hotchkis Front and Rear Sway bars, Vorshlag Camber Plates, Turner ARCA, AJ Hartman Front Splitter, BW V2 Wing, BW CF Rear Diffuser, APEX ARC-8 wheels, Brembo BBK Front, Carbon Fiber Roof, CF Headlight Blanks, Door Windows and Cards Delete, TMS rear and front subframe reinforcement, Zionsville Competition Cooler, BW Oil Cooler, Oil Diverter Valve, Motorsports Thermostat, Evolve CF Intake, Epic Stepped Headers, Turner Pulleys, BW 3.5" Race Exhaust, EPIC Alpha N Tune, 288/280 Cat Cams, Beisan Oil Disk and Vanos Seals, ZF 5MT, CAE Ultra Shifter

My track journal: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=509148
Jump to top ThunderMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, May-21-2017, 02:55:09 AM   #3
qualicas

In the garage:

Canada

Only thing in front to check would be inner and outer ball joints and tie rod ends. Have you checked anything in rear? Lots of possibilities there. From axle U joints, bearings and ball joints.
Seeing as you are in Las Vegas, do you know where I can get an AC recharge here? We drove down and it was cold when we left and today found the AC needs recharge. Drove from Salt Lake City with no air.
Jump to top qualicas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, May-21-2017, 05:06:02 PM   #4
Speed Monkey
Bananas, Just Bananas

United States

A vibration making itself known at speed could be attributed to an unbalanced wheel/bent wheel. Find a shop that as a Hunter wheel balance machine that can detect this bent wheel matter.
Jump to top Speed Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, May-21-2017, 07:16:13 PM   #5
iride113

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderMoose View Post
You said that you replaced front wheel bearings?

No I have not yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qualicas View Post
Only thing in front to check would be inner and outer ball joints and tie rod ends. Have you checked anything in rear? Lots of possibilities there. From axle U joints, bearings and ball joints.
Seeing as you are in Las Vegas, do you know where I can get an AC recharge here? We drove down and it was cold when we left and today found the AC needs recharge. Drove from Salt Lake City with no air.
Yes go to Southwest Bimmers if you are here Monday. Ask for Shane if you go. He will take care of you. Tell him Tony sent you. I'll get ball joints and tie rods checked Tuesday but nothing should be worn. I had everything inspected when the rods were done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Monkey View Post
A vibration making itself known at speed could be attributed to an unbalanced wheel/bent wheel. Find a shop that as a Hunter wheel balance machine that can detect this bent wheel matter.
I switched out wheels. Not a wheel/balance issue.

Old Sun, May-21-2017, 07:40:43 PM   #6
qualicas

In the garage:

Canada

Thanks for the shop info. I will call Shane on Monday. I'm here all week.

I thought you had talked about replacing bearings as wheel bearings. Since you haven't that would be my number one suggestion. As someone else asked. Not really that expensive and they probably have lots of miles on them anyway.
Rough bearing could certainly give you the symptoms you have. Does anyone ever repack front wheel bearings? Used to be something a person did on a regular maint program! I guess those days are gone now everything is sealed.
Old Sun, May-21-2017, 07:50:42 PM   #7
ThunderMoose

In the garage:

United States

I'd try wheel bearings. I had similar issue to you. right front was hosed.

FLMS Half Cage, RaceTech 4009HR drivers seat, Schroth 6-Pt Harness, E.S.S. Fire System, AIM SOLO DL with ECU Harness, SmartyCam, Angle Aluminum with VAC dead pedal, Sparco Steering Wheel on MOMO hub, MCS Suspension, Hyperco 800F 900R springs, Hotchkis Front and Rear Sway bars, Vorshlag Camber Plates, Turner ARCA, AJ Hartman Front Splitter, BW V2 Wing, BW CF Rear Diffuser, APEX ARC-8 wheels, Brembo BBK Front, Carbon Fiber Roof, CF Headlight Blanks, Door Windows and Cards Delete, TMS rear and front subframe reinforcement, Zionsville Competition Cooler, BW Oil Cooler, Oil Diverter Valve, Motorsports Thermostat, Evolve CF Intake, Epic Stepped Headers, Turner Pulleys, BW 3.5" Race Exhaust, EPIC Alpha N Tune, 288/280 Cat Cams, Beisan Oil Disk and Vanos Seals, ZF 5MT, CAE Ultra Shifter

Old Tue, May-23-2017, 12:19:50 AM   #8
qualicas

In the garage:

Canada

Tony
Big thanks for the tip to SW Bimmers. I went over today. I did mention your name and they had good things to say about you.
I felt like family there even though I had never been there before. Even some customer's little dog jumped up on the couch and laid down beside me like he knew me.
Very happy but hope I don't have to visit again! No one likes to have to have work done while on holidays!
Once more I do have to say that this forum really does help each other. I had recently posted a thread about how well this forum works.
Old Wed, May-31-2017, 07:42:51 PM   #9
iride113

United States

I appreciate all the help, however I believe the issue is the rack itself. I have definitly beaten on the rack since owning the car sliding it thru turns, so it's a fair guess at this point. There is no play and bearings are actually in great shape - they spin freely and smoothly. There is no vibrating anywhere on the car except thru the rack. The car has literally every wear component that could be replaced, replaced in the last year - front and rear.

I ordered a rebuilt Z3 rack for $200 and am going to switch it in by next week hopefully if the part arrives on schedule. I will keep this thread updated to help with anyone else who might be experiencing the same issues as me.

Last edited by iride113; Wed, May-31-2017 at 10:28:58 PM.
Old Wed, May-31-2017, 09:58:20 PM   #10
ThunderMoose

In the garage:

United States

I couldn't feel any play in bearings and they spun easily but when I removed it was clear one was bad. Once they wee replaced all my issues were gone.