BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Sat, May-20-2017, 08:27:39 PM   #21
Brian N
wubalubadubdub

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: American Racing Headers for the E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HassanEido View Post
This has the potential to be the end all be all headers. All the bottom end and highest top end with a 3.5" down pipe? Magic bullet i just hope the price is right too
From my conversations with Nick it does seem this way. He sold me on these headers without a doubt. He also said that these should work for a broader range of cars from stock to NA to FI because of the 6-1 rotational firing design.

Nick also mentioned if these headers sell well. Which I think they will. That he would consider making a complete exhuast system! This would be awesome for us guys looking to squeeze the rest out of this motor. I wonder what data he will come up with for tube size that would be optimal for us NA guys. When I mentioned that he should create a full 2.5 inch system he said he would have to do testing because he didn't want to slow down the exhaust flow. He said most of the restriction was up front in the header and section 1.

I hope he gets on here to talk more about it. I sent him a quick email mentioning that this thread went up. He is a really knowledgeable guy and true car nut.

-My Journal-
Jump to top Brian N is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sat, May-20-2017, 08:35:24 PM   #22
stash1

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian N View Post
Awesome thanks Stan. I just sent over another email to Nick to make sure all the sensor bungs made it on my order lol.

It goes without saying but I am very very interested in your results. I hope you made some extra power with these!!
We did, but still testing and running back up dyno's to confirm initial testing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HassanEido View Post
This has the potential to be the end all be all headers. All the bottom end and highest top end with a 3.5" down pipe? Magic bullet i just hope the price is right too
Yes Hassan, so far this is exactly how it's playing out, but we're still testing to back-up initial numbers. I want to point out as well, that we're comparing a CATTED version of the ARH system to an UNCATTED header system. Also, as the opening paragraph mentions, these headers will require specific tuning to take full advantage of the unique design...sorry, can't really give specifics. I gave my input in regards to pricing as well...guess we'll see-lol

Last edited by stash1; Sat, May-20-2017 at 09:22:49 PM.
Jump to top stash1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, May-20-2017, 08:39:26 PM   #23
HassanEido

In the garage:

Lebanon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian N View Post
From my conversations with Nick it does seem this way. He sold me on these headers without a doubt. He also said that these should work for a broader range of cars from stock to NA to FI because of the 6-1 rotational firing design.

Nick also mentioned if these headers sell well. Which I think they will. That he would consider making a complete exhuast system! This would be awesome for us guys looking to squeeze the rest out of this motor. I wonder what data he will come up with for tube size that would be optimal for us NA guys. When I mentioned that he should create a full 2.5 inch system he said he would have to do testing because he didn't want to slow down the exhaust flow. He said most of the restriction was up front in the header and section 1.

I hope he gets on here to talk more about it. I sent him a quick email mentioning that this thread went up. He is a really knowledgeable guy and true car nut.
I completely agree that most of the restriction is upfront. Stock section 1 meaures at 2.16" then becomes 2.36 at the resonator... I think most of the gains of the v1s are due to the section 1 being of a larger diameter. Now imagine even larger primaries and 6to1 collector where some pulse is always tugging on the next
Modified stock airbox,afe plastic intake elbow Afe prodry drop in, electric fan conversion,SSV2 catless headers, custom 2.5" dual sec1, SuperSprint Race inspired custom section 3,tms pulleys,Cat Cams 280 272, custom dyno tune, csl box pending
348.4 whp 283.5 wtq
Jump to top HassanEido is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, May-20-2017, 09:02:03 PM   #24
WyattH

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by stash1 View Post
Also, as the opening paragraph mentions, these headers will require specific tuning to take advantage of the unique design...sorry, can't really give specifics.
This is what I still don't understand. TTFS says in all of their threads (tune, air rail, these headers) that their goods are available for NA and FI builds, but then when it comes to brass tacks, they only support their AA/Prima SC kits. So if these headers require a special tune, which they will not offer for any other SC kits, then really these headers are not available to ~90% of FI owners.

Dinan | CSL | RAC | TCK | Brembo | \\\WyattH's Journal
Jump to top WyattH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, May-20-2017, 09:19:18 PM   #25
Awtrace

United States

Definitely interested in these. Can't wait for official numbers! Would definitely consider

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jump to top Awtrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, May-20-2017, 09:29:31 PM   #26
stash1

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Also, as the opening paragraph mentions, these headers will require specific tuning to take full advantage of the unique design...sorry, can't really give specifics. I gave my input in regards to pricing as well...guess we'll see-lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyattH View Post
This is what I still don't understand. TTFS says in all of their threads (tune, air rail, these headers) that their goods are available for NA and FI builds, but then when it comes to brass tacks, they only support their AA/Prima SC kits. So if these headers require a special tune, which they will not offer for any other SC kits, then really these headers are not available to ~90% of FI owners.
I'm not 100% sure I understand the question, but I'll give it a shot! I edited my original post (see above), because like installing headers on ANY car (whether it be carbureted or fuel injected, or forced induction), tuning is required to maximize the potential of the headers. Of course headers should and will increase power w/o tuning, but any tuner worth his salt will tell you that a custom tune will be required to squeeze every last bit of power from the header/engine. Because these headers are unlike any other header currently offered, I would say that it's recommended to update the tune (whether it's an NA or FI engine) to take FULL advantage of the unique design. This isn't a TTFS thing, it's just how engines work.

Last edited by stash1; Sat, May-20-2017 at 09:46:16 PM.
Jump to top stash1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, May-20-2017, 09:38:15 PM   #27
mdavidm3

In the garage:

United States

How big is the sec1 part of the header? I'm thinking of possibly modifying it and adding a v-band clamp to work with my bimmerworld exhaust.

AKG||SGT Headers||Tilton Twin Disk Clutch||RTD||Mishimoto||Bimmerworld Race Exhaust||Kirk Rollbar||Schroth||Sparco||Momo||Ground Control||Eibach||JRZ RSpro (rear coilover)||PFC Z31 BBK||Enkei NT03||Maxxis RC-1

Trackspec Autosports
MMI Vehicle Systems
Ravenol
IG: MD__M3
Jump to top mdavidm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, May-20-2017, 09:43:35 PM   #28
stash1

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavidm3 View Post
How big is the sec1 part of the header? I'm thinking of possibly modifying it and adding a v-band clamp to work with my bimmerworld exhaust.
Here ya go:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTFS View Post

Some information on the headers:

1. 1-3/4 primaries with optimized length for outstanding low to high rpm power.

2. 6 into 1 merge collector with built in rotational firing from much improved scavenging and unique sound.

3. 6 into 1 internal scavenger spike to direct exhaust pulses to the center of the merge.

4. Direct fit 3-1/2 downpipe that splits and mates to section two.

5. thick one piece flange eliminates possibility of warping

6. Counter bored bolt holes allows use of factory studs and nuts providing a hassle free install

7. Built to last indefinitely in street or max effort race applications

8. 100% Made In USA using 304 S/S throughout

9. Ability to run it as a single catted or catless setup
Old Sat, May-20-2017, 09:46:08 PM   #29
mdavidm3

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Here ya go:

looks like i skipped over that part lol thanks!

AKG||SGT Headers||Tilton Twin Disk Clutch||RTD||Mishimoto||Bimmerworld Race Exhaust||Kirk Rollbar||Schroth||Sparco||Momo||Ground Control||Eibach||JRZ RSpro (rear coilover)||PFC Z31 BBK||Enkei NT03||Maxxis RC-1

Trackspec Autosports
MMI Vehicle Systems
Ravenol
IG: MD__M3
Jump to top mdavidm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, May-20-2017, 10:04:27 PM   #30
WyattH

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
I'm not 100% sure I understand the question, but I'll give it a shot! I edited my original post (see above), because like installing headers on ANY car (whether it be carbureted or fuel injected, or forced induction), tuning is required to maximize the potential of the headers. Of course headers should and will increase power w/o tuning, but any tuner worth his salt will tell you that a custom tune will be required to squeeze every last bit of power from the header/engine. Because these headers are unlike any other header currently offered, I would say that it's recommended to update the tune (whether it's an NA or FI engine) to take FULL advantage of the unique design. This isn't a TTFS thing, it's just how engines work.
Okay. I get that much. I was thrown off by you saying "these require a specific tune." I presumed that meant a bespoke, TTFS tune. Understood now.
For background, in the TTFS air rail/map thread, they say that their rail/tune combo is available and beneficial for NA and FI builds. Upon inquiry, they said the only FI they support is their own AA/Prima kit.
I have a Dinan SC kit. Works and runs great, but I'd like to add headers. As you note, a retune would maximize the gains. Dinan won't retune, of course. So I asked TTFS if I could throw their air rail and map and some headers on my car and have them tune it and they said nope.

Dinan | CSL | RAC | TCK | Brembo | \\\WyattH's Journal

Last edited by WyattH; Sat, May-20-2017 at 10:08:48 PM.
Jump to top WyattH is offline   Reply With Quote