BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Fri, Jul-14-2017, 08:46:26 PM   #711
bngl3rt

United States

Default Re: The Official E46 M3 Oil Analysis Results Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
Wow, that is weird!

If almost feels like they has to have mixed up your sample with someone else!
I have had a couple of shops tell me that oil analysis doesn’t always reflect bearing condition. It can indicate the presence of a problem but not necessarily the absence of one.
Old Sat, Jul-15-2017, 02:42:17 AM   #712
CrookedCommie
Captain Slow

In the garage:

Bulgaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by bngl3rt View Post
I have had a couple of shops tell me that oil analysis doesn’t always reflect bearing condition. It can indicate the presence of a problem but not necessarily the absence of one.
I'm actually getting the opposite. Copper 4, Lead 14 on new WPC rod bearings 7k miles ago. No "break-in", no 500 mile flush.
Jump to top CrookedCommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jul-16-2017, 08:34:11 PM   #713
Engrmikl

In the garage:

United States

I have approx 50K on my rod bearings since dealer completed the recall. How many miles are they suggesting they be done. Just ordered the kits but just did the oil and filter so not sure how accurate will be.
Jump to top Engrmikl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jul-17-2017, 01:34:55 PM   #714
rhythim
Career parts guy

In the garage:

United States

^ If you're referring to how many miles to put on your oil before sending it in for a test, just run your normal OCI. They calculate universal averages on a 4800 mile run. It's seemingly a crapshoot on how well the bearings fare on mileage due to a ton of different factors. Mine were done under warranty in 2005 with just under 48K miles on them, and at 116K when I did the first UOA, it came back measuring well under the UA on wear metals (posted a page or two back in this thread). Doesn't mean I won't be doing a PM bearing change around 150K unless future UOAs indicate an earlier need, but it still made me feel quite a bit better.
Jump to top rhythim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jul-28-2017, 06:30:01 AM   #715
NickSM

In the garage:

United States

Here is my first one. For some reason they wrote my interval in at 7000 miles when it was actually just over 5000 miles, no idea how that happened.

I'm not sure what to do here being that it's my first analysis so I don't know if it's trending the same way over time. Do I take their advice and try driving 3000 miles and do another analysis? Or do I run for the hills and just do the rod bearings?

It's an 2002 and it had the recall done around 20k I believe it was, so only 50k on these ones. ugh! Any advice at all is appreciated! thanks!

Jump to top NickSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jul-28-2017, 03:30:51 PM   #716
albino09
A Yankee South of the Mason-Dixon

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickSM View Post
Here is my first one. For some reason they wrote my interval in at 7000 miles when it was actually just over 5000 miles, no idea how that happened.

I'm not sure what to do here being that it's my first analysis so I don't know if it's trending the same way over time. Do I take their advice and try driving 3000 miles and do another analysis? Or do I run for the hills and just do the rod bearings?

It's an 2002 and it had the recall done around 20k I believe it was, so only 50k on these ones. ugh! Any advice at all is appreciated! thanks!

Take their advice and do a 3k or thereabouts oil change analysis. My first oil change had some odd wear metals when I first got it, and it was such a low-mileage example (39k when purchased), who knows how old the oil was. My 2nd and 3rd oil changes have come back very positive since then. If you do end up having to do rod bearings, it's better to be certain you need them done.

2002 Laguna Seca Blue/Dove Grey...Journal
Jump to top albino09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jul-28-2017, 05:15:45 PM   #717
Fhcrubarb

United States

Quote:

What was the date of your last oil change?
How do you drive the car, is it a DD?
Jump to top Fhcrubarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jul-29-2017, 05:06:36 AM   #718
NickSM

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by albino09 View Post
Take their advice and do a 3k or thereabouts oil change analysis. My first oil change had some odd wear metals when I first got it, and it was such a low-mileage example (39k when purchased), who knows how old the oil was. My 2nd and 3rd oil changes have come back very positive since then. If you do end up having to do rod bearings, it's better to be certain you need them done.
Ok awesome! This test was taken from my second oil change since owning. The first one I didn't get an analysis because I didn't know about them yet haha.
When I saw the levels I just assumed I probably needed to get it done asap, so your reply is making me feel a little better at least!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fhcrubarb View Post
What was the date of your last oil change?
How do you drive the car, is it a DD?

Last oil change was over xmas holidays. I've done just over 5500 miles since that change at the time this analysis was done. I do DD the car in a sense, but I work from home, so most days I don't drive at all. I average around 1000 miles a month and most of that is just going for cruises along the PCH to Malibu and some canyon runs. No tracking or anything though. thanks!
Old Sat, Jul-29-2017, 08:09:56 PM   #719
Fhcrubarb

United States

Quote:
Ok awesome! This test was taken from my second oil change since owning. The first one I didn't get an analysis because I didn't know about them yet haha.
When I saw the levels I just assumed I probably needed to get it done asap, so your reply is making me feel a little better at least!

Last oil change was over xmas holidays. I've done just over 5500 miles since that change at the time this analysis was done. I do DD the car in a sense, but I work from home, so most days I don't drive at all. I average around 1000 miles a month and most of that is just going for cruises along the PCH to Malibu and some canyon runs. No tracking or anything though. thanks!
I've always been under the impression that most of the wear on the bearings happens on start up when oil pressure is low so switching to a 0W-40 might be beneficial, not just in the winter. I wish there was more data to back this up. I've noticed a lot of guys who purely track their vehicles to not have as many issues with the rod bearings in comparison to people who DD. Most start ups at the track are when the oil is warm from a previous session which reduces bearing wear because the oil is thin. People who DD start the vehicle much more often and with cold and thus thick oil. Of course, if you take your car to 8K RPM frequently then 0W-40 might not be best.

Again, I don't have any data to back up this claim but it is just what I have noticed as I've researched within and outside of this thread.
Jump to top Fhcrubarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jul-29-2017, 10:09:29 PM   #720
NickSM

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fhcrubarb View Post
I've always been under the impression that most of the wear on the bearings happens on start up when oil pressure is low so switching to a 0W-40 might be beneficial, not just in the winter. I wish there was more data to back this up. I've noticed a lot of guys who purely track their vehicles to not have as many issues with the rod bearings in comparison to people who DD. Most start ups at the track are when the oil is warm from a previous session which reduces bearing wear because the oil is thin. People who DD start the vehicle much more often and with cold and thus thick oil. Of course, if you take your car to 8K RPM frequently then 0W-40 might not be best.

Again, I don't have any data to back up this claim but it is just what I have noticed as I've researched within and outside of this thread.

Very interesting! I will certainly look into that with my indy after the 3000 mile test. Thanks so much for the info!