BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Thu, Oct-17-2013, 06:14:46 PM   #41
NetFixer

United States

Default Re: M3 SMG pump reconditioning

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEvans View Post
I'm confused. Are you saying you've taken a pump off your car, cleaned it and put it back? Sounds like you may be talking about two pumps here.

Of course this thread started with me talking about a failure of the pump on my car and then showed the disassembly of another, so I've probably caused at least as much confusion.

Steve
Sorry. The pump in my car is fine. Didn't remove it. I got a "defective" pump from a shop and did the same thing you did basically. I powered the motor before I removed it with 12v and it sounded really weak.

I took the motor apart(and everything else) and found a lot of carbon inside from the brushes. I vacuumed and cleaned the motor and put it back in. When I power it with 12v now it spins a lot stronger.

I'm wondering if that is the problem in most cases. The pump gear looked good like in your pictures. Ohm'ed and 12v'ed the solenoids and they seem fine also.
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Oct-17-2013, 10:14:12 PM   #42
Pnick

United States

A DC-motor is a "wound rotor motor". The brushes are made of carbon and conduct electricity and so as the carbon dust that is created due to wear and tear along with a bit of copper dust from the worn commutator segments. The segments are gapped as they are the individual conductors of the rotor winding from the power source via brushes. This build up of dust, in due time will inevitably short those segments and the motor will run very weak (not the same amount of torque). Reconditioning that area by sanding the commutator segments on a lathe, cleaning and separating the commutator segments by a scribe or a mini hacksaw blade along with a fresh set of brushes, spring tensioner for the brushes & bearings will restore most if not all of its lost torque. There are other steps that you can do but it requires some special tools but the above steps should suffice.

05-SMG/IB/CINN/ZCP/SUNROOF_DELETE
If they don't meet your standards, lower yours!
Jump to top Pnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Oct-18-2013, 04:45:06 AM   #43
RedM3/4

United States

Forgot about that, been a year or more since I had mine apart - have a whole extra HCU.
Interesting it primes in normal time.
Yeah, no different than a starter, sometimes a minor bump will get it to turn again.

ADS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEvans View Post
Removing the motor from the pump removes its end bearing support, so spinning it up isn't an option. Even though the pump was dead in the car, now that it's removed and has been disturbed I wouldn't be at all surprised if it ran if I applied power. Visual inspection of the brushes/commutator will probably be quite conclusive. At 162K miles I think I know what I'll find!

A test that can be conducted on the motor which has yet to fail can be found HERE, however when I hooked up INPA at the weekend, just prior to the failure, my pump was priming just as fast as it ever had, unlike the car in the link here which had slowed. I've read of other cars taking 15s or more to prime. Mine was still only taking 5-6 seconds to go from ~50 bar to >70 bar. The new pump may be slightly faster, but only by a small margin.

Steve
Jump to top RedM3/4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Oct-19-2013, 11:43:04 AM   #44
SteveEvans

United Kingdom

I've not had the chance to pull the failed pump apart yet (I've probably spent enough time messing with the car of late!), but I've just removed the resistor fix for the failing temperature sensor, and have confirmed that, when cold, the new temperature sensor (BMW p/n 13-62-1-709-966) reports a sensible temperature.

17 degC hydraulic temperature matched the gearbox temperature, so that's good enough for me.

Steve
Jump to top SteveEvans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Oct-26-2013, 02:02:00 PM   #45
SteveEvans

United Kingdom

Decided it was time to do a postmortem on the old pump.

Here's the pump with the worst of the oil and muck removed.

Then I removed the connector bracket and the motor cable clip to allow access to the motor bolts.

Leaving the cable clamp adjacent to the motor in place to help encourage the end plate to stay in place I gently prized up the motor case with a flat bladed screw-driver and pulled it off.

I was greeted with a faint smell of burning and a lot of carbon dust. The motor was clearly very worn.

Continued below...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF8792.JPG (221.9 KB, 791 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF8793.JPG (251.2 KB, 783 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF8794.JPG (386.6 KB, 774 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF8795.JPG (380.1 KB, 769 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF8797.JPG (443.1 KB, 774 views)
Old Sat, Oct-26-2013, 02:10:02 PM   #46
SteveEvans

United Kingdom

Inside the motor casing it was fairly dusty too. Apologies for the lack of focus in this shot.

I then undid the cable guide and pulled out the motor. Oh dear. This motor has spun it's last.

On the plus side this is two pumps out of two that I've pulled apart to find the cause of failure to be the motor. Also note the seal on the end of the motor. This is the seal I mention earlier in the thread as having been lost by the rewind company.

A bit of a meltdown was in evidence.

So, to fix this pump will require a new motor. Does this number mean anything to anybody?

We need to identify a suitable motor from the corporate parts bin. ABS pump perhaps? Any other ideas?

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF8800.JPG (258.5 KB, 774 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF8803.JPG (445.0 KB, 777 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF8804.JPG (427.9 KB, 781 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF8807.JPG (346.6 KB, 779 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF8810.JPG (423.3 KB, 780 views)

Last edited by SteveEvans; Sat, Oct-26-2013 at 08:10:17 PM.
Old Sat, Oct-26-2013, 06:07:12 PM   #47
artcarr

United States

Good job Steve. I've been down the same path as you. I found all the internal pump parts to be in good condition the two I messed with, gears, bushings etc. The culprit on the few that I did was the electric motor. The brush holders failed and ate in to the commutator. In doing research I found that Ford uses a version of this motor on ABS pumps. If you search around Ebay you will see some that look identical. So if you need brush holders, they should be the same. The cool thing about the Ford motor is that it does not work as hard at the SMG motor. It only pumps on system check and had braking.So I found find it very strange if one was in poor condition aside from water damage and such.

As far as the Ford abs-motor goes, the shaft is different but the internal are the same. It has an eccentric dog instead of a slot-drive. The eccentric drive actuates a rotary pump. When I find time, I'm going to see about machining the eccentric drive off and making it a slotted-drive. That may be never with all the other stuff I want to do...lol

The relays do go bad as a result of the motor putting more load that they are designed for. What I find unusual is the fuse is rated at 40 amps. This fuse goes from power to the relay then to the motor. ( or does fuse have other functions as well?) Any how, the fuse on both cars I did would not blow while the wire from the pump was super hot. Strange. BMW must know something I'm missing. If your SMG pump seems to be acting up a quick test would be to feel the red wire at the relay and see if it's getting hot. If it is, the motor is on it's way out.

Any how, It's great that the mystery on the SMG pump failures is finally known to some degree.
Jump to top artcarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Oct-26-2013, 06:09:42 PM   #48
artcarr

United States

Here is a link to one of the ford ABS Pump motors. Can't promise but this pump may have parts inside that are otherwise not available.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-01-2001-...844d48&vxp=mtr

Last edited by artcarr; Sat, Oct-26-2013 at 06:13:19 PM.
Jump to top artcarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Oct-26-2013, 08:08:19 PM   #49
SteveEvans

United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by artcarr View Post
In doing research I found that Ford uses a version of this motor on ABS pumps. If you search around Ebay you will see some that look identical. So if you need brush holders, they should be the same.
Once you confirm the brush holder is the same, please let us know. I can still get the armature rewound and commutator replaced on this motor, so shaft incompatibilities aren't a concern. Also the case should still be OK, although excessive heat may have damaged the magnets.

Ideally I'd simply like a source of whole motors, but if there are used parts on eBay that can be cannibalised, that comes a close second.

Steve
Old Sat, Oct-26-2013, 09:30:45 PM   #50
SteveEvans

United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by artcarr View Post
As far as the Ford abs-motor goes, the shaft is different but the internal are the same. It has an eccentric dog instead of a slot-drive. The eccentric drive actuates a rotary pump.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3CARBON1 View Post
These motors may be a straight swap? Who knows. I would certainly be inclined to give it a go but I have a manual..
I don't think a direct swap was being claimed. That's what we want, of course, but even a source of parts would be good to know about.

Steve