BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Fri, Aug-17-2012, 04:40:08 AM   #21
RedM3/4

United States

Default Re: M3 SMG pump reconditioning

Interesting. I'll try to pull my motor again tomorrow evening or Saturday. From memory when I pulled it a week or so ago I don't think mine has that silicon washer between the bearing and the case, but my memory isn't what it used to be! Worst case I'd just put a small bead of silicon caulk at the very edge where the motor meets the valve body, but I'd expect you're already water proof with your light fixture washer.
-------
One would think these motor shops would have seen a bit of everything, but with what we've learned from your experience, if I ever have this done I'm thinking I'd just get it to the point where I'd hand them the armature and do everything else myself.

Thanks for the update!

ADS
Jump to top RedM3/4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, Aug-17-2012, 10:01:46 AM   #22
SteveEvans

United Kingdom

Note that the washer shown above is nothing like the original seal. If I get the chance to photograph an original one I'll post it. I considered a bead of sealant but that would hamper subsequent disassembly.

Steve
Jump to top SteveEvans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Aug-17-2012, 02:17:42 PM   #23
RedM3/4

United States

Agreed, not ideal and I'd do as little as possible right at the edge of the base, versus underneath.
ADS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEvans View Post
Note that the washer shown above is nothing like the original seal. If I get the chance to photograph an original one I'll post it. I considered a bead of sealant but that would hamper subsequent disassembly.

Steve
Old Wed, Aug-22-2012, 09:01:38 PM   #24
SteveEvans

United Kingdom

A quick update to mention that the replacement temperature sensor (BMW p/n 13-62-1-709-966) is made by VDO, replacing one made by Bosch. Not sure if this suggests a switch of supplier and a corresponding quality improvement.

Also, the pump on my car is behaving perfectly since I implemented the resistor mod, see HERE. I won't therefore be installing this pump immediately. I'll report back in due course.

I now know that the accumulator on the car is good too. See HERE for how I tested it.

Steve

Last edited by SteveEvans; Sat, Oct-19-2013 at 11:47:27 AM.
Old Wed, Aug-22-2012, 11:37:39 PM   #25
RedM3/4

United States

I think I have the Bosch part number written down and have one to look at, but can you post the VDO part number for ref please?

Thanks for the update.

ADS
Old Thu, Aug-23-2012, 08:20:41 PM   #26
SteveEvans

United Kingdom

Written on five of the six faces are:

VDO
CZECH REPUBLIC
805/9/1

I'm afraid that with the sensor mounted I can't read the sixth. Sorry about that.

I believe that the 805/9/1 is the part number judging by some online searches.

Steve

Last edited by SteveEvans; Thu, Aug-23-2012 at 08:26:32 PM.
Old Thu, Nov-22-2012, 08:09:43 PM   #27
denism3freak

United States

any new developments on the smg unit my car jumps out of gear into n once i slow down past under 10 mph so my baby is sitting in the garage waiting on a new pump . I was told by my mechanic that its not the pump that breaks its just that motor is that true and if so is there a way we can just change the motor on the pump.

Thanks alot for your hardwork man Cheers
Jump to top denism3freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Nov-23-2012, 06:17:17 AM   #28
SteveEvans

United Kingdom

No developments as my car has been OK since I did the resistor mod. The reconditioned pump is safely wrapped up waiting for when its needed. With ~145k miles on my car I rather expect to need it soon!

Steve
Old Sat, Jul-13-2013, 11:59:19 PM   #29
willoug4
Tree

United States

Steve, this is really great research, and I'm sure everyone with an SMG appreciates your help and advice. Would you agree or disagree with this conclusion, based on my ignorant read of your research: the "resistor fix" is likely to only make that SMG light go off, and won't affect the real problem. Also, replacing the motor that drives the hydraulic pump might be a better solution to the pump run-time issue?
My SMG is working very well, but since I've relocated from a cool weather climate, to a very hot one, the SMG light comes on from time to time, flashes a bit, sets an SES light, then goes out. I'm sure it's trying to run me mad, and I'd like to learn whether the hot weather here ( 109 to 118 F daytime) has truly caused a problem with the trans, so I can fix it. Thanks again for all the good input!
Jump to top willoug4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jul-15-2013, 04:46:34 PM   #30
SliM3

In the garage:

United States

Just FYI:
If anyone is interested in replacing the brushes, minus a full armature re-wind, here is the website to purchase them L5-5H 5mm x 5mm x 13mm Copper M. I have not done any replacements yet, but the electric motors on the SMG units are basically the same as ABS Pump motors, for which these are compatible.

///M3 '06 Carbon Black

DEMOCRACY is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
LIBERTY is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
-Benjamin Franklin

- Checksum corrections for modified DME partial & full bin files

- CSL SMG Engine Parameters (DME) by Slim

- Fuel adaptations explained

- Checksum Verification
Jump to top SliM3 is offline   Reply With Quote