BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Thu, Jun-09-2011, 11:14:21 PM   #1
silbul

In the garage:

United States

Default fuel line popped off

I had something interesting happen yesterday. Went to depart from work, starter cranked but no start. Tried a couple times without success, so I got out and opened the hood. When I got to the front of the car, I saw a puddle and thought I had a massive oil leak only to smell and realize it was a fuel leak! Looking at the source seemed to indicate that the fuel was coming from the fuel filter area, which is coincidental as the fuel filter had been changed by my indy almost two months prior.

I had it flatbedded the 30 miles to him, and he inspected the leak area. He noted that the fuel had been leaking for at least a little while as there was evidence of fuel on the exhaust (not a good thing, I think!) and that there was a snap on hose, similar to the one at the rear of the filter, that had popped off and was dumping fuel under fuel pump pressure.

I don't think he disconnected this during the filter change, only parts that were threaded at the front; I am pretty sure I'd have noticed if he had to do something similar to what he did (and the tool he used) at the rear of the filter. Strange coincidence?

Apparently, the part is out of supply in the states and has to come from Germany!

Anyone else had this occur? Any thoughts in general? I find it a bit weird that no parts exist in the country. I think it is part number 16122229410, from section 16, fuel supply and fuel feed, on realoem.com, but I can't tell whether this is a snap on fitting. In any event, I think it is good that it came apart completely in a parking lot as opposed to during the commute!
Jump to top silbul is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, Jun-17-2011, 10:40:33 PM   #2
silbul

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: fuel line popped off

Got my car back last night. My mechanic showed me the defective hose, which has the quick connect at both ends. The internal springs at the quick connects must have gotten junk into them as they stick and don't extend fully all the time. Not sure why it decided to release and dump fuel under pressure, but I am happy that it manifested itself in a parking lot and not in commuter traffic!

As a suggestion, you might want to change this hose ($70) when changing the fuel filter 'just in case'. Might have to order the part in advance; there weren't any in the country. BMW had to order it from Germany, and it took about a week. No extra shipping charges, though!
Old Fri, Jun-17-2011, 10:48:20 PM   #3
iceberq

United States

Happened to me too. I had my fuel filter changed 1 month prior to it happening to me.

Inspected fuel lines but no problems found. Ordered new hoses to replace but haven't installed them yet. It has been 1 month since that happened with no re-occurance
Jump to top iceberq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jun-19-2011, 03:49:51 PM   #4
silbul

In the garage:

United States

My mechanic re-installed the line as well and said it seemed to be OK, but given that it came off once, he wasn't comfortable with sending me off that way. The hose itself, not including labor, was less than the tow from work to his garage. Funny, it seems as though there might have been a little throttle response lag before it occurred - or, maybe I am rationalizing.

To me, it wasn't worth taking the chance that it would come off again. If this happened during commuting, the car would have stalled and caused an accident, maybe then a fire, too. Safe insurance, I call it. Still, this shouldn't happen!
Old Tue, Jun-21-2011, 01:42:02 AM   #5
///M_JUNKIE

United States

Weird, same exact thing happened to me. It was about 2-3 months after I replaced the fuel filter. I was driving back from my buddy's place and started to smell fuel after leaving a gas station and driving over some pretty rough railroad crossings. Figured I just spilled some gas on my hands or something, until I pulled into my garage and saw a trail of fuel. kinda scary to think about gas leaking that close to the exhaust. Reattached the line and added some zip ties so it wouldn't come loose again. So far so good.

“Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you.” - Jeremy Clarkson
Jump to top ///M_JUNKIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jul-16-2017, 08:27:35 PM   #6
humarahumara

United States

This just happened to me over the weekend. On the freeway, engine just cut out. I cranked but no start. I walked around back to see fuel leaking around the fuel filter. I haven't messed with that area but was confused as to how the line would disconnect on its own. Reconnected the line (seems secure) but I wonder if I should just replace it. Do these quick disconnects get old and fail?? Wonder if others have similar experience?
Jump to top humarahumara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jul-17-2017, 04:12:33 PM   #7
m3e46freak
M3 Freq

In the garage:

Germany

I need to get my ass under the car and do my fuel filter also... damn.

Rock Hard Abs Racing

KWV2!
18X10 CCW CLASSIC!
CPI Headers!
RESONATORS AND SUPERSPRINT!
DINAN!
FRANK!! 311RWHP-260Torque
m3e46freak@yahoo.com for outside contacting

ebay/craigslist verified 100% FEEDBACK
m3forum 96% FEEDBACK
m3post/e46fanantics Great FEEDBACK
zpost/bimmerforum Great FEEDBACK