BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Sat, Mar-21-2009, 05:38:23 PM   #21
yaja23
M Addict

In the garage:

United States

Hey Hal,
I just bought an extra Relay from Tischer for $6. Cheapest price I've seen for the relay. Perhaps put that on Post 1.

Orion V2 Angel Eyes, OEM LED TailLights, Valentine1 Hardwired, OEM ZCP Rims, Turner Subframe Reinforcement Kit, Vorsteiner Double Sided CF Bootlid
Jump to top yaja23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sat, Mar-21-2009, 06:33:08 PM   #22
Mash3
Look out below!

United States

Random things:

What about the faulty SMG hydraulic temperature sensors I read about last week?

Keep in mibd that Error Code FC 68 indicates a worn out clutch. Sensors detect a mismatch in input and output speeds related to gear.

greg
Jump to top Mash3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Mar-22-2009, 12:31:22 AM   #23
Blown_m3
Always want more boost!

United States

My smg is not adapting properly. We recently upgraded to the new software. Now we have rpm dropping issue on first and reverse gear and shifting lags. when I shift form 3-4 clutch hesitates and rpm almost stays where it is then start picking back up. Should I do the whole smg reset procedure again?
Sold 2002 BMW ///M3 SMG - Steel gray, AA Gen 2 Level 3+ Meth ///HPF stage1 clutch and AA lwFW, CSL brakes///M 2x2 cf Interior,Vors CF Roof with sunroof, CSL Bumper,Diffuser,GC coilovers,Volks/Rayz(ROJA)Wheels w/ Michelin PS2 245/35/19 & 275/30/19, Powerflex RTAB, rouge transmission mounts, Unmitza Angle eys and 8000k HID, AA headers and AA Gen IV exhaust,HardWired V1, Dynavin:v5, JL audio Custom 1 w3v3 ported & 500/5 Amp/AudioControl DQX, lts2.
Jump to top Blown_m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Mar-24-2009, 10:42:55 PM   #24
Mash3
Look out below!

United States

Guys, remember to check the SMG fluid before doing any trouble-shooting. I just spent a month doing everything else, and was ready to replace the pump, only to find that a hose had cracked and the fluid had leaked out. $20 part instead of a $2,000 part...

Greg

Jump to top Mash3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Mar-24-2009, 11:44:46 PM   #25
kiennem3
Sie tun es falsch

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown_m3 View Post
My smg is not adapting properly. We recently upgraded to the new software. Now we have rpm dropping issue on first and reverse gear and shifting lags. when I shift form 3-4 clutch hesitates and rpm almost stays where it is then start picking back up. Should I do the whole smg reset procedure again?
Try doing a reset again. You are resetting your adaptations so it 'relearns' how you shift, it may help and seriously doubt it would make it worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDownforce View Post
not relly man methane rises so it actually creates lift thats why u never eat mexican food before u go to the track
Jump to top kiennem3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Mar-24-2009, 11:49:08 PM   #26
kiennem3
Sie tun es falsch

United States

@HAL - Great write-up bro, just found this awhile back and is definitely a good idea!

Also, just to add to the thread, if anyone wants/needs the BMW SMGII manual or training guide they can be found at the address below. Scroll down a little bit for the links to the pdf files. This site also has a ton of information regarding SMG as well...

http://leo.nutz.de/BMW_SMG2FAQ.php

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDownforce View Post
not relly man methane rises so it actually creates lift thats why u never eat mexican food before u go to the track
Jump to top kiennem3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Mar-27-2009, 10:32:15 PM   #27
HM3

India

Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread. Although i have had my SMG m3 since 2005, I did not know about the SMG reset and that it needs to be done after changing tires too (Guess I should start hanging around these message boards a lot from now on ).

Now my question about the reset. Looking at this and other posts I gathered these instructions:

1. Drive on a straight road at 40+ mph
2. shift into "N"
3. pull in both steering wheel paddles and hold for 10 seconds.

The questions: after putting the car in N at 40+ mph wont the engine rev up considerably and should I keep the accelerator pressed while pulling in and holding the paddles?

Thanks guys and sorry for asking such a dumb question.
Jump to top HM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Mar-27-2009, 10:39:39 PM   #28
jaffy5150

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by HM3 View Post
Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread. Although i have had my SMG m3 since 2005, I did not know about the SMG reset and that it needs to be done after changing tires too (Guess I should start hanging around these message boards a lot from now on ).

Now my question about the reset. Looking at this and other posts I gathered these instructions:

2. shift into "N"

The questions: after putting the car in N at 40+ mph wont the engine rev up considerably and should I keep the accelerator pressed while pulling in and holding the paddles?

You don't have to do it at 40 mph. The manual says "at a speed of over 20 mph" and you only have to hold the paddles back for "approx. 2 seconds."

When I do this, I take my foot off the accelerator so there is no engine revving.

This is also something you don't have to do. The system will learn it gradually while driving.
Jump to top jaffy5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Mar-27-2009, 10:41:19 PM   #29
yaja23
M Addict

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by HM3 View Post

2. shift into "N"

The engine won't rev up. After you put the car back into gear, it will go into the gear you were previously at before you shifted to neutral (eg. 3rd or 4th gear). You probably want to let go of the pedal after you put the car in neutral.

Orion V2 Angel Eyes, OEM LED TailLights, Valentine1 Hardwired, OEM ZCP Rims, Turner Subframe Reinforcement Kit, Vorsteiner Double Sided CF Bootlid
Jump to top yaja23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Apr-15-2009, 12:55:08 AM   #30
connecttheworld

United States

THANK YOU VERY MUCH "fat hal" and everyone on this thread for the EXCELLENT post.

My car ('02 e46 M3) had the exact same symptoms last two days and yesterday I had it towed to the local dealership in Houston to have them replace the battery thinking that it was the battery; the "service consultant" and their so call "expert" didn't bother to diagnose to validate the root-caused, they just took my words for it.

After they've replaced the battery and I'm not sure what they did but they got it to start just fine; later on that night the son-of-a-gun won't start again with the exact same symptoms. At this point, I'm thinking I'm screwed and might as well to just park the car in front of the dealership and let them keep it because they quoted me around
$7K to do a transmission swap...

After several hours of intense nervously researching, I found this thread last night and thought at this point it's my last hope and all symptoms seem to matched. I bought the relay switch at the dealership for $20 and 5 minutes later...

I'm in love once again, my car had me at hello once again!!!!!!

Pray for me and keep your finger cross for me everyone, we'll leave it overnight and see tomorrow morning.

I think BMW drivers truly have great communities; besides the sheer driving pleasure mixed in with the once in a while heart and head ache of spending time and money fixing our cars, I think we buy BMWs also because we want to be a part of a great community!

Thank you all.
Jump to top connecttheworld is offline   Reply With Quote