BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Wed, Jul-05-2017, 11:43:58 PM   #271
BrockSamson

United States

Default Re: How to mount a Spal Electric fan to the stock shroud

I did the install on my 2003 M3 cab/hardtop using Drewster's method. It works great!

I have tested it in 99f degree weather for several hours at highway and stop and go. AC on max cold, and tested with AC off.

I found that highway speed on flat land, the engine temp will vary from 175f to 185f. Stop and go and up long steep grades it tops out at 195f. verified with the Torque app.

I think my MPG has improved slightly. 28 mpg at 72mph by GPS (77mph by BMW gauge). Semi-hilly highways with cruise control. I used to get 25-26mpg on this same road.

I noticed a slight increase in throttle response.

The one down side is you have to disassemble the whole front bumper to get at the BROWN wire on the aux fan. I emphasis the BROWN wire...because I initially brain farted and spliced into the white wire, lol. So I had to take the front end apart and back together twice.

Do not remove the headlights or core support. Just remove the bumper cover 4 bolts, fog lights, headlight eyelids, impact bar 4 bolts....then the aux fan 4 bolts are accessible.

DO wash your radiators, mine were full of crap.

I will note that I did not use a Spal fan, but I used a Maradyne MC162K 16" 225W 2200 CFM. It is larger and extends 4.5", but clears the belts by 1/2" if mounted towards the passenger side or drivers side, but will not fit in the center. I used this because I already had it, and it works great. Very quiet fan.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1050410 (Medium).JPG (149.4 KB, 61 views)

Last edited by BrockSamson; Thu, Jul-06-2017 at 12:10:46 AM. Reason: .
Jump to top BrockSamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Jul-06-2017, 03:57:56 AM   #272
Drewster

In the garage:

United States

Awesome!
Jump to top Drewster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jul-16-2017, 05:01:44 PM   #273
WOLFN8TR
"MONEY"

In the garage:

United States

Default How to mount a Spal Electric fan to the stock shroud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewster View Post
Running a separate fan based on coolant temp is simply a drag on the alternator and thus the engine at high speed, where you're not moving any more air than the car is. Personally, I would just make a PWM controller (much cheaper) and tap into the green signal wire coming off of the DME to run in harmony with the AUX fan.

It isn't CAN - it's a simple high-side PWM signal

Again, coolant temp alone is a bad way to run the fan.

I think this is causing my problem.

I recently installed a Mishimoto Elec Fan inside the stock fan shroud and have a PWM unit controlling it via a sensor in the radiator hose adapter.

I'm having a issue with my car running Hot on the freeway and fine in stop and go traffic. Before this mod with the Mechanical Fan it was fine. Temps here in Las Vegas are 110-120 during the day.

This is the PWM unit I'm running.

The Yellow wire on the PWM unit is the 12volt ignition wire. It is connected to the Red/Yellow wire at the DME that is typically used to control Angel Eyes. The fan stays on for approx 30 seconds after Turing off the car same as the AE's.

Can I tap the Yellow wire into the green signal wire coming off of the DME to run my PWM unit in harmony with the AUX fan? My PWM unit is wired directly to the Pos and Neg terminals in the engine compartment.

Can you post a picture of the Green DME signal wire if so. Thanks....

AutoCoolGuy PWM Unit.

http://www.autocoolguy.com/new-items

TTFS Engine/SMG Tune - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA - Evolve Eventuri - Sprint Booster V2
UltraGauge - Orion V4's - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser - VIS XTS CF Hood - CSL Trunk - Valentine One - Turner 15F/12R Spacers

Last edited by WOLFN8TR; Sun, Jul-16-2017 at 05:34:52 PM.
Jump to top WOLFN8TR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jul-16-2017, 07:14:45 PM   #274
Drewster

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLFN8TR View Post
I think this is causing my problem.

I recently installed a Mishimoto Elec Fan inside the stock fan shroud and have a PWM unit controlling it via a sensor in the radiator hose adapter.

I'm having a issue with my car running Hot on the freeway and fine in stop and go traffic. Before this mod with the Mechanical Fan it was fine. Temps here in Las Vegas are 110-120 during the day.

This is the PWM unit I'm running.

The Yellow wire on the PWM unit is the 12volt ignition wire. It is connected to the Red/Yellow wire at the DME that is typically used to control Angel Eyes. The fan stays on for approx 30 seconds after Turing off the car same as the AE's.

Can I tap the Yellow wire into the green signal wire coming off of the DME to run my PWM unit in harmony with the AUX fan? My PWM unit is wired directly to the Pos and Neg terminals in the engine compartment.

Can you post a picture of the Green DME signal wire if so. Thanks....

AutoCoolGuy PWM Unit.

http://www.autocoolguy.com/new-items

Yeah, I remember - I'm pretty sure I made a comment about how it didn't belong in an engine bay :P Although it *is* a good thing you mounted it well in the enclosed "drug bin" to keep it away from ambient atmosphere; my primary complaint about units like that is they typically aren't sealed from humidity and debris.

Unfortunately you cannot run it off of the Aux fan PWM, I don't think. That unit is designed to take inputs and drive a fan accordingly - it doesn't look like it's possible to take a PWM signal and amplify it accordingly.

That being said, if the car isn't overheating in stopped traffic, the fan is doing its job. If you still have the Mishimoto shroud, I would experiment with that, to see if letting more air flow by at speed helps your issue. Otherwise, I'd suspect your rad might need a re-fresh, or at least further inspection
Old Sun, Jul-16-2017, 08:06:37 PM   #275
WOLFN8TR
"MONEY"

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Yeah, I remember - I'm pretty sure I made a comment about how it didn't belong in an engine bay :P Although it *is* a good thing you mounted it well in the enclosed "drug bin" to keep it away from ambient atmosphere; my primary complaint about units like that is they typically aren't sealed from humidity and debris.

Unfortunately you cannot run it off of the Aux fan PWM, I don't think. That unit is designed to take inputs and drive a fan accordingly - it doesn't look like it's possible to take a PWM signal and amplify it accordingly.

That being said, if the car isn't overheating in stopped traffic, the fan is doing its job. If you still have the Mishimoto shroud, I would experiment with that, to see if letting more air flow by at speed helps your issue. Otherwise, I'd suspect your rad might need a re-fresh, or at least further inspection
Yes I remember you did. So far it's been fine mounted where it is.

Question this PWM has an override switch to run the fan 100% all the time regardless of the engine temp. What about wiring it to the Green DME signal wire with it set on bypass?

TTFS Engine/SMG Tune - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA - Evolve Eventuri - Sprint Booster V2
UltraGauge - Orion V4's - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser - VIS XTS CF Hood - CSL Trunk - Valentine One - Turner 15F/12R Spacers
Old Sun, Jul-16-2017, 09:51:45 PM   #276
Drewster

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Yes I remember you did. So far it's been fine mounted where it is.

Question this PWM has an override switch to run the fan 100% all the time regardless of the engine temp. What about wiring it to the Green DME signal wire with it set on bypass?
That's an idea - I would shoot an email to the manufacturer and ask if it would work OK (depends on how they made the circuit)
Old Sun, Jul-16-2017, 11:33:39 PM   #277
WOLFN8TR
"MONEY"

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
That's an idea - I would shoot an email to the manufacturer and ask if it would work OK (depends on how they made the circuit)
Ok will do. Can you post a pic or diagram which Green DME wire is the signal wire. Thanks

Old Mon, Jul-17-2017, 03:14:02 PM   #278
Drewster

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Ok will do. Can you post a pic or diagram which Green DME wire is the signal wire. Thanks
Hopefully I can remember to take a picture when I get home - but on the passenger side, right next to the air quality sensor box, there should be a relatively large connector with two heavy gauge power wires, and one very thin green wire - that's what goes around to the front of the car for the Aux fan.
Old Mon, Jul-17-2017, 05:23:44 PM   #279
WOLFN8TR
"MONEY"

In the garage:

United States

Great thanks

Old Tue, Jul-18-2017, 01:52:56 PM   #280
Drewster

In the garage:

United States

Aux fan power and control