BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Fri, Jun-09-2017, 06:09:37 PM   #951
IronJoe

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: SMG troubleshooting FAQ

Sorry to read your troubles I can't help you with your specific issue, but if I were you I would look into the rebuilt-pump option. When I thought my pump was dying I had considered going that route, and when it DOES eventually die I think I will replace the motor with a rebuilt one.

But make sure the pump is the problem first! There is a great deal of troubleshooting that can be done as I learned, just starting with my SMG in April.

http://eurtonelectric.com/catalog/mo...p_motor_repair

EDIT:
My recommendation would be first to buy the USB data cable and download the BMW reader software (several options available). That was you will not only be able to read the codes but can check up on the various sensors, etc. I was able to see exactly when my pump was turning on and how much pressure it was producing. Inexpensive DIY troubleshooting tool!
Jump to top IronJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, Jun-09-2017, 06:36:02 PM   #952
brichter
Unregistered Abuser

In the garage:

United States

Note that the above linked company only rebuilds the pump motor. You can get the motor and pump for a few bucks more here:

https://parts.bmwofsouthatlanta.com/...wd=&origin=pla

I just realized this is not the correct part for M cars! My bad!

Last edited by brichter; Thu, Aug-10-2017 at 05:28:11 PM. Reason: Wrong info.
Jump to top brichter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jun-10-2017, 11:49:28 PM   #953
UncleDad61

United States

Thanks all for info and support, really appreciate it. Cable ordered, finally got Windows 7 x32 installed on my old mac (surprisingly a major PITA given that the cd drive is broken and Apple doesn't want to make booting from USB on laptops with CD drives easy... hopefully this part was harder than actually installing and using DIS/Progman).

Car's still sitting in the shop. They disassembled the intake box and got to the pump -- turns out there was a scrapyard pump installed that was undisclosed. I'm pretty peeved about that, because I now might have a crap pump with 120k on it that could go any time (even if this problem turns out to be something else). Still diagnosing what's going on. Could be an electrical thing -- relay light came on before the underpressure, overpressure, and no response codes came on. Changing the relay didn't do anything, and while I smelled burning when it died I suppose it could have been an electrical component BESIDES the pump's motor (maybe the pressure sensors, or just a wire somewhere).

It would be strange to go from seemingly fine to dead so fast if it were the pump motor, wouldn't it? I was able to do quick up and down gear changes just fine. Anyone know approximately how many bars of pressure are used per gear change? From what I read on the SMG service manual the normal operating range is 40-80.

Either way I really, really want to get the info on what the heck is going on with this pump.

EDIT: Yeah, pump's dead alright.

Last edited by UncleDad61; Mon, Jun-12-2017 at 01:48:24 PM.
Jump to top UncleDad61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jun-28-2017, 08:23:59 PM   #954
YellowDragon

Taiwan

My 1st SMG pump failure was @ 70k miles. It was replaced with a BMW refurb part thru a BMW dealer.

Now @ 123k miles, it failed again and was replaced again.

It seems that the failure cycle is about every 60k to 70k miles.

With this rate I expect it to fail again @ 200K miles.

FYI, It's a 2002.

Jump to top YellowDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jun-28-2017, 08:29:22 PM   #955
DrLeadFoot

In the garage:

United States

My pump motor went out. Installed a new one and all is well.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
RE Spacers-10mm Rear 12mm Front
Red Line in Tranny and Diff
Zymol

Jump to top DrLeadFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jun-29-2017, 02:23:49 AM   #956
brichter
Unregistered Abuser

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowDragon View Post
My 1st SMG pump failure was @ 70k miles. It was replaced with a BMW refurb part thru a BMW dealer.

Now @ 123k miles, it failed again and was replaced again.

It seems that the failure cycle is about every 60k to 70k miles.

With this rate I expect it to fail again @ 200K miles.

FYI, It's a 2002.
145k on my 2002... got the motor sitting on the shelf in case it's needed.
Old Mon, Jul-03-2017, 10:27:29 PM   #957
Tove
They See Me Rollin'

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by brichter View Post
Note that the above linked company only rebuilds the pump motor. You can get the motor and pump for a few bucks more here:

https://parts.bmwofsouthatlanta.com/...wd=&origin=pla
Thanks

BMW Enthusiast since 1987 | Tove aka Genuine
Jump to top Tove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Aug-10-2017, 05:54:42 AM   #958
Sunny34

United Kingdom

Could anyone shed any light on what Selector Lever Evaluation is?
Came up as a fault on my smg,tried goggle but
There's no real answer to what the fault actually is?
Thanks in advance
Jump to top Sunny34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Sep-06-2017, 01:17:41 AM   #959
turbosig

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by rve View Post
Yep, that's the hydraulic unit temperature sensor. You have an error code stored in the SMG computer saying "ON period, hydraulic unit (OBD II : P1717)" Happens in hot weather, I got it once for 3 years daily driving. If you turn off the engine while the SMG cog light is still on and then turn the engine on you'll get the Check engine light on as well though there's nothing wrong with it. Just a reminder that you need to connect your car to diagnosis software. As you have found out yourself all goes to normal after you let it cool. I've heard there a fix for that like installing additional thermistor in the temp sensor though I can't find that info out. I think it was spread over E46fanatics few years ago.
2004 Vert 98K and this finally happened to me. Drove today in NJ with temps in low 90's. At first Cog light came out, car drove and shifted just fine. Stopped the car for maybe 15 minutes to pick up my son and the Cog light was still on upon restarting the car, but now the SES light was on as well. Drove another 3 miles and the car fell out of 4th gear to N, was able to shift it back into gear almost immediately. Parked the car within 10 minutes from that and pulled the codes with my OBII reader. Got P1717.

P1717(OBII)pic1.jpg

P1717(OBII)pic2.jpg

I let the car cool down for a few hours. Started it again to pull it into the garage and the Cog light is off but SES still on. Pulled the codes again, same thing P1717.

I ordered a Salmon relay and will change that but wondering if any of you had experience with this and what your check list / troubleshooting solutions are after replacement of the Salmon Relay???

If it is the heat related sensor....its just very interesting as I use to drive this car on the 101 in LA during summer for years without any issues and the temps in the mid 90' degrees. Drive it in NJ where I lived for the past 7 years and this is the first time this has happened.

'04 M3 by way of Sunny SoCal to NJ/Philly
Jump to top turbosig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Sep-06-2017, 01:38:44 AM   #960
brichter
Unregistered Abuser

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbosig View Post
If it is the heat related sensor....its just very interesting as I use to drive this car on the 101 in LA during summer for years without any issues and the temps in the mid 90' degrees. Drive it in NJ where I lived for the past 7 years and this is the first time this has happened.
The sensor has probably shifted calibration just a bit due to age and now it triggers the issue. The temp isn't really that high when the code triggers normally (around 150-160f IIRC).