BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > Misc > Off Topic
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Off Topic Place to discuss this and that. Note: We also have "request to join" forums: Guns and Fitness.
(Threads/posts inside may contain material that is NSFW / offensive)

Old Sat, Nov-11-2017, 08:32:24 PM   #1
JTM09
I like cats

In the garage:

United States

Default Seattle area residents: educate me

Do you enjoy living in the PNW?

Pros / cons / schools / etc?

According to NOAA there are 155 days/year with precipitation in Seattle. There are 152 precip days /yr in Pittsburgh so it is not like the rain will bother me..

thanks guys-
2002 TiAg/Grey 6MT-sold
Jump to top JTM09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sat, Nov-11-2017, 08:57:16 PM   #2
icecream
Registered Apples

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Seattle area residents: educate me

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTM09 View Post

According to NOAA there are 155 days/year with precipitation in Seattle. There are 152 precip days /yr in Pittsburgh so it is not like the rain will bother me..

thanks guys-
Lived there for 28 years and finally left cause of the weather haha. If that doesn't bother you, you will probably love it. Depends on the lifestyle you want too. Being out in LA made me appreciate how beautiful Seattle is. Lots of great neighborhoods, great school, bridges, bodies of water everywhere which never gets old, lots of places to hike, off-road or explore. My morning commute would face the Olympics in the morning and face the Cascades in the evening (when the weather would cooperate), that never got old. Traffic is terrible but it's not 24/7 unlike here.
So, did I enjoy it? Too much rain and grey,. Maybe I have S.A.D. But if I went back now I would enjoy it alot more if that makes any sense. When it's. Nice out everywhere out there is just beautiful. There is a lot of new construction, nice housing, high rises etc that make it feel like a new city. Some areas I can't stand, lynnwod, Everett, bothell, Renton and the likes. Just weird depressing places. Even Tacoma near the sound is a neat area but far and has it's own issues. With that said, I haven't seen much of the country. Pretty much there, Portland and California so who knows how that lives up to other big cities. Why are you considering moving there?
Jump to top icecream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Nov-11-2017, 09:24:14 PM   #3
JTM09
I like cats

In the garage:

United States

Thanks man. There is a promotion there I'm going to apply for.

I currently don't live in Pittsburgh itself - I'm an hour east. And horrible doesn't even begin to describe it...
2002 TiAg/Grey 6MT-sold
Old Sun, Nov-12-2017, 09:24:10 PM   #4
Ynot

Quote:

thanks guys-
And 360 overcast days, are you ready for that? lol

My brother lives there, he likes it more than San Jose b/c it's cheaper. The first 6 months there were horrible, he said it was overcast every damn day and it was pretty depressing. He wants to eventually moved back to Denver. Where we get over 300 days of sunshine.
Old Sun, Nov-12-2017, 10:01:35 PM   #5
JTM09
I like cats

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ynot View Post

My brother lives there, he likes it more than San Jose b/c it's cheaper. The first 6 months there were horrible, he said it was overcast every damn day and it was pretty depressing. He wants to eventually moved back to Denver. Where we get over 300 days of sunshine.

Yeah I hear you. But coming from the part of the US that I am ..how different really is it? Less snow that's for sure.

Wonder how accurate these are ..

I'd imagine someone from CA would notice a big difference but it can be pretty depressing where I'm from anyway. And that's not counting the unemployment..drugs ..lack of business growth ... urban blight ..
2002 TiAg/Grey 6MT-sold
Old Sun, Nov-12-2017, 11:45:31 PM   #6
Serious
Banned

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ynot View Post

Wasn’t like that’s this year... had clear 70drg days from most of April until halloween. Nov-April suck if you don’t ski.

Traffic isn’t really bad here. I suggest a motorcycle or bicycle if you want to be able to get around.
Jump to top Serious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Nov-13-2017, 12:15:44 AM   #7
Ynot

Quote:
Yeah I hear you. But coming from the part of the US that I am ..how different really is it? Less snow that's for sure.

I'd imagine someone from CA would notice a big difference but it can be pretty depressing where I'm from anyway. And that's not counting the unemployment..drugs ..lack of business growth ... urban blight ..
Seattle is definitely a lot better than Pittsburg or anywhere near it. I would give it a shot. The overcast days isn't so bad if you get used to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious View Post
Wasnít like thatís this year... had clear 70drg days from most of April until halloween. Nov-April suck if you donít ski.

Traffic isnít really bad here. I suggest a motorcycle or bicycle if you want to be able to get around.
You guys had a heat wave in the summer too, yeah it was nice this year. I like Seattle, seems like a really place to visit.
Old Mon, Nov-13-2017, 02:16:35 AM   #8
icecream
Registered Apples

In the garage:

United States

**** me. The overcast days. That's what kills it . Grey for days and days and ****ing days. And don't let anyone tell you traffic isn't too bad, it is very bad. Not the worst but rush hour? Fogedaboutit.
Jump to top icecream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Nov-13-2017, 04:51:42 AM   #9
djben
winning.

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecream View Post
**** me. The overcast days. That's what kills it . Grey for days and days and ****ing days. And don't let anyone tell you traffic isn't too bad, it is very bad. Not the worst but rush hour? Fogedaboutit.
I went off and on for years, mainly Kirkland. Heard nothing about how gorgeous it was from the locals - it was always "yeah but when it is nice out is so awesome, just wait till next time"

I think I was there just one week when it was actually nice out.
2006 BMW E46 M3 SMG - Carbon Black : sunroof delete : Ground Control Street/Track Coilovers : H&R Front Sway: Ground Control Aluminium FCAB : Powerflex RTAB : Rogue RSM : Stoptech 4-wheel BBK : SSR Comp 19" : Bimmerworld Oil Cooler : CSL headers : UUC mid-pipe : Pulleys : Gruppe M Exhaust : AFE elbow/dry filter : 4.10 gears : Epic Motorsports tune : 301 WHP : Recaro Sportster CS : Odyssey PC925 battery

2007 Porsche 911 Turbo 6MT : Hardwired Passport 9500xi : Locking Differential : Sport Chrono Plus : GMG Front/Rear Sways : GMG World Challenge Springs : GMG Toe Links : GMG dog bones : LED DRL : LED Tails : Factory SSK : RSS engine mounts : GT2 Clutch Conversion : Sachs 2.5 Clutch Kit

Jump to top djben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Nov-13-2017, 01:57:24 PM   #10
m3 hal

United States

The sun starts setting about 4:30 pm these months too. I've only been out there a couple of times since a few friends moved, but I think it would be a great place to live for at least a few years. It's one of the most scenic major cities in the US, and maybe even tops in that regard imo. The only complaints I hear are about the overcast days, as my friend ended up having to take vitamin D supplements per his doctor. RE: traffic, my friends don't drive to work, but to me it didn't seem bad, and probably no better or worse than what you're used to if you've lived in any major city.
Jump to top m3 hal is offline   Reply With Quote