BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Mon, Jul-24-2017, 11:49:47 PM   #1
nitro3421

United States

Default Rear diff half shaft boot replacement DIY?

I'm in the middle of an oil pan gasket replacement and noticed this lovely sight:

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/attac...1&d=1500936551

I did a search and haven't been able to find a good DIY for the boot replacement - can anyone please point me in the right direction?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4379.JPG (466.3 KB, 152 views)
2016 Audi SQ5 (wife's car)

Sold:
96' DV M3, 01' TIAG M3, 02 CB M3, 11' e92 M3, 96' AW M3
Jump to top nitro3421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Jul-25-2017, 12:27:53 AM   #2
TheSt|G
Resident Curmudgeon

In the garage:

Isle of Man

Default Re: Rear diff half shaft boot replacement DIY?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro3421 View Post
I'm in the middle of an oil pan gasket replacement and noticed this lovely sight:

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/attac...1&d=1500936551

I did a search and haven't been able to find a good DIY for the boot replacement - can anyone please point me in the right direction?
Generally speaking, as soon as the boot tears you need the replace the whole unit. Any grit in there will fail the joint even if you reboot it. Schnorr washers are a good upgrade on the bolts attaching it to the diff when you put in the new one.
911 Journal/Build Thread
Sold - '13 WRB BRZ Limited 6MT
Sold - '03 Lemans on Lemans E39 M5 6MT
Sold - '99 Kosmos-Schwarzes E36 5MT M3 Coupe

Quote:
No fun no care
Jump to top TheSt|G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jul-25-2017, 02:25:48 AM   #3
ethan

United States

In my experience, it's very much worth tearing them down and seeing what you've got. I refuse to pay full whack for half shafts, so I maintain a stock of disassembled CVs. I just pick up used shafts on eBay/car-part. I've generally had good luck, but if they're bad you'll know it:

They're not that hard to disassemble, but it's pretty tedious because it's a complete mess. You'll want a good vise, a hammer, a medium flat head screw driver, circlip pliers, and lots of nitrile gloves and paper towels. For the inner joint, just bang off the outer cover plate by hitting the edge of it with a screwdriver in a few places (comes off easily). Then remove the smaller boot clamp. Finally, pop the circlip (may be hidden by grease) on top of the joint and slide the whole thing off.

The boots and plates for the inners are cheap on ECS or FCP because they carry generic GKN kits. Not the case for the outers - $80 for those since all I can find is OE. I reuse outer boots/covers/orings if they look good. If anybody else has a source for the GKN outer kit, I'd love to hear about it.

The outers are a little trickier to get apart. I put them in a vise and use a screw driver under the edge of the inner cap, working my way around the edge until I've done a full 360*. You really need to bend the lip up to get it over an o-ring, so this step can be time consuming before you've got it figured out. I attack it with about a 45* angle to start, and then increase the angle once I've got it going. Once you get the inner cap loose, remove the small boot clamp and slide the boot down the axle. Then you can flex the CV joint to its maximum angle and the balls will fall out the back, eventually releasing the CV housing (with the spline to the hub on the outside) and letting you release the circlip.

You can find replacement Oetiker clamps on McMaster. The ones that came in my GKN kit were just slightly too small. Don't bother with the stuff you get at AutoZone.

Last edited by ethan; Tue, Jul-25-2017 at 02:40:48 PM.
Jump to top ethan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jul-25-2017, 03:01:19 AM   #4
PITT M3 RR
PA

In the garage:

United States

I rebuilt mine on my last M due to this. If its not clicking and binding, you should be good. The new boot kits come with the snap rings, boot, grease and cap. So when its torn down, you can decontaminate everything in brake fluid and then dry and rebuild to spec. Repack it and seal it up you'll be good to go.

Once aspect I recalled from the rebuild was the bearing cage orientation. One side has a slightly raised lip. Note where it is when you take the snap ring out.

Remanned unis are honed out and the bearing size is increased by the hone... that is only necessary if the dry running and contamination has scored / marred the bore.
Old Tue, Jul-25-2017, 09:16:24 PM   #5
nitro3421

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethan View Post
In my experience, it's very much worth tearing them down and seeing what you've got. I refuse to pay full whack for half shafts, so I maintain a stock of disassembled CVs. I just pick up used shafts on eBay/car-part. I've generally had good luck, but if they're bad you'll know it:

They're not that hard to disassemble, but it's pretty tedious because it's a complete mess. You'll want a good vise, a hammer, a medium flat head screw driver, circlip pliers, and lots of nitrile gloves and paper towels. For the inner joint, just bang off the outer cover plate by hitting the edge of it with a screwdriver in a few places (comes off easily). Then remove the smaller boot clamp. Finally, pop the circlip (may be hidden by grease) on top of the joint and slide the whole thing off.

The boots and plates for the inners are cheap on ECS or FCP because they carry generic GKN kits. Not the case for the outers - $80 for those since all I can find is OE. I reuse outer boots/covers/orings if they look good. If anybody else has a source for the GKN outer kit, I'd love to hear about it.

The outers are a little trickier to get apart. I put them in a vise and use a screw driver under the edge of the inner cap, working my way around the edge until I've done a full 360*. You really need to bend the lip up to get it over an o-ring, so this step can be time consuming before you've got it figured out. I attack it with about a 45* angle to start, and then increase the angle once I've got it going. Once you get the inner cap loose, remove the small boot clamp and slide the boot down the axle. Then you can flex the CV joint to its maximum angle and the balls will fall out the back, eventually releasing the CV housing (with the spline to the hub on the outside) and letting you release the circlip.

You can find replacement Oetiker clamps on McMaster. The ones that came in my GKN kit were just slightly too small. Don't bother with the stuff you get at AutoZone.

Thanks for the info! I started piecing together the parts and realized it's probably cheaper to buy a completely new unit for $63/side. Seems pretty reasonable.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-gsp-nort...iABEgIPCPD_BwE

Any other parts I would need along with right/left sides?

Sold:
Old Tue, Jul-25-2017, 10:01:53 PM   #6
F1Dryvr

United States

I repacked my Driveshaft CV Joint after symptoms of a groan on hard accel. in 2nd gear low revs btw 2-3500rpm. Took forever to diagnose, and after seeing the grease everywhere i took everything apart and found the paper gasket had come apart. Then the search began and I found a few youtube videos detailing it perfectly. From what i remember, you need to use "moly" grease, which i found at napa. probably better get 2 or 3 bags in case you pack it and it doesnt seat right. It has to go exactly as its assembled, and it "fits both ways but one way is smoother than the other. If you get it wrong, its do it nice or do it twice.
Jump to top F1Dryvr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jul-26-2017, 12:31:05 AM   #7
ethan

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro3421 View Post
Thanks for the info! I started piecing together the parts and realized it's probably cheaper to buy a completely new unit for $63/side. Seems pretty reasonable.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-gsp-nort...iABEgIPCPD_BwE

Any other parts I would need along with right/left sides?
I've never used aftermarket axles, but I'll be interested to hear your experience once you've had time to evaluate them. That's extremely cheap - I'd be surprised if the quality is on par with the OE gear, but you never know. Anybody else used these before?
Jump to top ethan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jul-26-2017, 02:25:04 AM   #8
TboneM3
YNWA

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
I've never used aftermarket axles, but I'll be interested to hear your experience once you've had time to evaluate them. That's extremely cheap - I'd be surprised if the quality is on par with the OE gear, but you never know. Anybody else used these before?
Ya I wanted to ask the same. The brand GSP North America could be good or could sell stuff made in China for all I know.

-Evolve-R alpha N Evolve CSL CF Airbox eVenturi Scoop Euro Headers|sect 1 BMW Motorsport 4.10 Besian D/A pullies/fan delete WPC rod bearings
-TMS Camber & Subf plates RE Street Trans Mounts AKG poly SUB/DIFF SDW RTAB ZHP knob + UUC DSSR GroundControl S/A (Koni/Eibach 440/550) + tall RSMs
-OE CSL trunk APEX 75mm Studs Sportline 8S 18"x8.5/9.5" MPSS 245/275 ss brake/clutch lines
-Pioneer DEH-80PRS Eclipse PA5422 CDT HD-6 + WS-100i CDT EX-530 8" Kicker

DD/Beater: 1999 Civic LX - Kenwood x998 PPI 1600.4 CDT HD-6 + HD-100 CDT EX-530 Clarion 10"
Jump to top TboneM3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jul-26-2017, 03:19:11 AM   #9
TheSt|G
Resident Curmudgeon

In the garage:

Isle of Man

I've never seen any aftermarket axles worth a damn, let alone $63 ones. Seems like an absolutely terrible purchase.
911 Journal/Build Thread
Sold - '13 WRB BRZ Limited 6MT
Sold - '03 Lemans on Lemans E39 M5 6MT
Sold - '99 Kosmos-Schwarzes E36 5MT M3 Coupe

Quote:
No fun no care
Jump to top TheSt|G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jul-26-2017, 05:40:57 PM   #10
nitro3421

United States

Quote:
On second thought, I'm going to try rebuilding my existing with new inner boots on both sides.

Sold:

Last edited by nitro3421; Wed, Jul-26-2017 at 06:07:47 PM.