BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > M3Forum Garage > M3 Track: Racing and DE
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

M3 Track: Racing and DE Best mod for speed is learning to get the most out of what you currently have. Tracks and DE's is the place to start!

Old Tue, Nov-17-2009, 01:17:12 AM   #1
eleanor665

United States

Default E46 M3 Track Car Build

Nine months ago I started a journey that I never thought would take me this far and I have to say now that I am near the end of the road completing this build it has been an absolute blast to learn all about BMW's. I come from the Honda scene where I discovered this passion (and money pit) about 10 years ago.

The selected car is an unmolested E46 M3 chassis and when I say unmolested I mean just that. It is a brand new 2004 chassis that is NON VIN NUMBERED and has never seen the street. A gentleman had it in his garage that he had bought the car in Europe and it sat for about 5 years after he decided not to build it. Needless to say I picked it up pretty cheap. The build on the other hand was not cheap at all.

I had a newly formed company named GBR MOTORSPORTS which is located just outside Orlando, Florida build this track only machine. I mostly do HPDE's (I instruct so it keeps my costs down as track fees are waived) and i do an occasional time attack. I can't say enough good things about this company in how they have treated me as a customer but more importantly a friend. They do EXCELLENT work and I would reccomend them for just about anything automotive related. Scott is my car builders' name and he does top notch builds.

Ok onto the build:

> all seam sealer removed EVERYWHERE on the car
> all sound deadening removed
> chassis was seam welded and then sent to be sandblasted
> paint is Alpine White on the exterior and Anthracite Grey on the interior (Acura color on the interior)
> roll cage is done by a local company called Mazworx here in Orlando however Scott designed my cage

Some quick facts about the car:

> Ground Control race suspension
> stock sized brakes with upgraded fluid, PFC pads, BW backing plates for brake ducts, etc. Calipers are stock and are powder coated.
> Minor modifications to engine (nothing internal) --> I/H/E/pulleys/re-flash by VAC.
> Seibon Carbon Fiber Hood and Decklid
> AIM Dash (not installed yet)

The car should put down on the dyno I am figuring in the 300whp range - maybe 310 at the high note from what research I have done. It weighs 2850 with a 1/2 tank of gas.

I am uber excited to get this thing on track and experience the RWD goodness versus a FWD car. I know they are complete opposites and I have already asked Scott to make sure my car is very predictable and we'll get more aggressive with the alignments as we go along.

Here are the updated pics of the build to where it stands today:

Hope you enjoyed. Sorry for the picture size! I didn't want to spend all the time re-sizing pictures. Feel free to ask any questions about the build that you may have.

Thanks,

mike
Jump to top eleanor665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Nov-17-2009, 01:52:09 AM   #2
TenaciousD

In the garage:

United States

Awesome! Thanks for sharing!
Old Tue, Nov-17-2009, 02:08:20 AM   #3
SG_M3
#56 JP M3

United States

interesting cage design, had the builder done many before?
Old Tue, Nov-17-2009, 03:59:20 AM   #4
Doz M3

United States

stock brakes?
Jump to top Doz M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Nov-17-2009, 01:00:57 PM   #5
eleanor665

United States

yes stock brakes with all the upgraded features such as BW brake ducts that are fused into the bumper, PF dimpled rotors, PFC 06 pads front/rear, Motul fluid, stainless steel brake lines. I wanted to see how the stock brakes do before i upgrade the car.

if you notice i also have no downforce on the car as well and i am used to a ton of downforce with my Honda. I will learn to drive the car with the stock brakes and no downforce and upgrade from there.
Jump to top eleanor665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Nov-17-2009, 03:35:19 PM   #6
goranE46
R.R.

Croatia

Very god tactic...

People make big mistakes upgrading car before their own driving skills....

Very nice project!

Keep more pics coming
Jump to top goranE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Nov-17-2009, 05:33:39 PM   #7
n2///Mpower

United States

Amazing build. Keep it up.
Old Tue, Nov-17-2009, 10:42:24 PM   #8
delirium45
Bottom Feeder

United States

thanks for posting... please do keep us up to date with your progress/lessons-learned.

2011 Rocky Mountain Region GTS4 champion & "Rookie of the Year"
2012 Rocky Mountain Region GTS3 champion
2013 National GTS3 - 4th place
Thanks Sponsors: SCR Performance
Jump to top delirium45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Nov-17-2009, 11:32:21 PM   #9
tfro

United States

You didn't say any plans for racing, but it may be nice to think about building it so it could be raced a) if you ever want to sell it b) if you do decide to race and c) depends on the time attack events you do and what safety rules they have.

Right now the diagonal brace (non-continuous) in the main hoop and the rear braces (not attached to a plate) would have a pretty good chance of keeping the car from being allowed to race.

While this isn't a ruleset for every group, it's a good place to start:
http://www.bmwccaclubracing.com/stat...2009-v14.1.pdf
Cage rules start on page 70.
Jump to top tfro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Nov-17-2009, 11:38:48 PM   #10
Greg S
How fast do you want to go?

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfro View Post
You didn't say any plans for racing, but it may be nice to think about building it so it could be raced a) if you ever want to sell it b) if you do decide to race and c) depends on the time attack events you do and what safety rules they have.

Right now the diagonal brace (non-continuous) in the main hoop and the rear braces (not attached to a plate) would have a pretty good chance of keeping the car from being allowed to race.

While this isn't a ruleset for every group, it's a good place to start:
http://www.bmwccaclubracing.com/stat...2009-v14.1.pdf
Cage rules start on page 70.
Woah, tfro, WTF are you doing here? Shouldn't you be doing, like, married boring stuff?