BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Wed, Nov-03-2010, 05:40:15 PM   #1
M42boy

United States

Default Car stalls ransomly when coming to a light...

So, when I come to a traffic light, and put the car in neutral and let out the clutch, occasionally the revs will drop momentarily and sometimes the car just stalls right there. Restart it, and everything is fine again... It doesn't do it all the time and usually does it after extended periods at open throttle (like when I come off the freeway).

Any ideas??

These little issues are killing me.
Jump to top M42boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Nov-03-2010, 05:43:23 PM   #2
deilenberger

Reputation: 578 deilenberger has a reputation beyond reputedeilenberger has a reputation beyond reputedeilenberger has a reputation beyond reputedeilenberger has a reputation beyond reputedeilenberger has a reputation beyond reputedeilenberger has a reputation beyond repute

United States

Any "mods" - like to the intake? If not - the idle control valve is probably gummed up. Do a search on it..

BTW - what's "ransomly"?
  • 2002 M3C/6 - Imola Red/Black - SOLD
  • 2003 525iT - Green/Tan - SOLD - replaced with Lexus
  • 2006 Cayenne/S - Iceland Silver Metallic/Stone-steel Gray - Truckster. - SOLD
  • 2007 R1200R - Roadster, black mit/white pinstripes - SOLD and not forgotten..
  • 2012 R1200R - Roadster, Ruby Red - the new REAL BMW..
  • 2011 Lexus RX-350. SWMBO's toy.
  • 2011 Porsche Cayenne Turbo, white/black. My new toy..
Jump to top deilenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Nov-03-2010, 07:20:13 PM   #3
///MSpeed
Datsun's Rule Too

United States

Maybe try an injector cleaner? Start small and work yourself up....

2002 E46 M3
1972 240z
2005 S40 T5 Volvo
2002 Honda Passport
Jump to top ///MSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Nov-03-2010, 08:10:30 PM   #4
Noodle555
My other ride is a beater : D

United Kingdom

How much ransom do you have to pay to get going?

Mods: Clear Bra | Tints | Hardwired Passport SRX | Painted Bumper Reflectors | Keyhole Cover | 6000k Predator Chromiums | 6000k Philips Ultinons | 6000k HID Fogs | Philips Silvervision Corners | OEM LED Tails | LED Plate Lights | Trunk Lip Spoiler | Eisenmann Race | CSL Diffuser | CD/DVD Swap | Small Antenna | Blackout Grille and Gills | Smoked Corners

Purchased Mods Awaiting Installation: ZCP Brake Upgrade | CF Interior Trim | Royal F1 Paddles

Other Vehicles: 2008 X5 4.8i BSM/Blk - most options and a few mods| 2009 Chevy Silverado LTZ - fully loaded
Jump to top Noodle555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Nov-04-2010, 03:33:14 AM   #5
Gary Powers
Taking the long way home.

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodle555 View Post
had me bawling
Old Thu, Nov-04-2010, 03:50:16 AM   #6
teoirimia

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by M42boy View Post
So, when I come to a traffic light, and put the car in neutral and let out the clutch, occasionally the revs will drop momentarily and sometimes the car just stalls right there. Restart it, and everything is fine again... It doesn't do it all the time and usually does it after extended periods at open throttle (like when I come off the freeway).

Any ideas??

These little issues are killing me.
MAF sensor you probably have air turbulence.
Old Thu, Nov-04-2010, 01:05:25 PM   #7
AW-M3

United States

I had this issue with my AFE CAI. Too much air flow. My mechanic hooked the meter up while we went for a drive, when you slow up, the maf could not adapt quickly enough. I ended up choking some of the air flow down a bit and no more issue.
Old Thu, Nov-04-2010, 01:43:56 PM   #8
WRX2BIMA
Booster

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodle555 View Post
hahaha i was thinking the same thing.. "edit before posting brahh"
Jump to top WRX2BIMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Nov-04-2010, 02:21:18 PM   #9
d3x74
apple pie shtn skip

Australia

It's your fuel pump mate. Had the same scenario/situation happen to me a few days ago. And a few days after that my fuel pump died all together.

Order yourself a fuel pump asap and replace it yourself. It takes less then one hour to swap out and will save you a bundle at the dealership.
Jump to top d3x74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Dec-01-2010, 02:51:54 AM   #10
M42boy

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3x74 View Post
It's your fuel pump mate. Had the same scenario/situation happen to me a few days ago. And a few days after that my fuel pump died all together.

Order yourself a fuel pump asap and replace it yourself. It takes less then one hour to swap out and will save you a bundle at the dealership.
How can I be sure it's the fuel pump?? It's been doing that a while and the fuel pump hasn't gone out.

I'm guessing it's somehow idle related as sometimes I see the idle hunting around a bit after I come to a stop. Sometimes it idles exactly at 950, then other times it seems to be lower or a bit higher, and sometimes it just dives off the radar (which is when it stalls).

It has been driving PERFECTLY the last two days. Hmmm.

What gives here? Some people think it's the idle stabilizer valve (which I still haven't been able to locate, even though I took the airbox cover and elbow out. Not sure what I'm looking at down there.

I sprayed some brake cleaner on the MAF, but didn't remove it completely when I did it, so I might not have gotten it cleaned all the way. Was going to remove the ISV and clean it out with Carb & Choke Cleaner and see if that did anything.

Any links to write-ups on where it's located on the S54 and how to do it would be great! I figure it's not a bad idea to clean that sucker out either way. I even have a new hose clamp and gasket for it.

Some people seem to think the MAF is getting too much airflow... My airbox is stock and my filter is even kinda old. How is that possible. Is there a way to adjust it?
Jump to top M42boy is offline   Reply With Quote