BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Tue, Apr-15-2014, 07:53:21 PM   #21
TboneM3
YNWA

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: What is the "EML" yellow light on the instrument?

I always thought to myself, when the light comes on while starting the car, End My Life cause you don't want it staying on lol . Luckily, it's always gone off.

WantE46M3 - doesn't username11 above detail that there are 4 and where they are? And the parts guy wouldn't go ask a tech? I'd call him a d-bag to his face wtf is that?

·Evolve-R Alpha N · Evolve CSL CF Airbox · Eventuri Scoop · Supersprint V1 stepped 63mm · SS V1 S pipe 63mm + 200 cell HFC · OE sect 2 60mm · SS Sport 60mm
·Besian · RE pullies/fan delete · WPC rod bearings · GroundControl S/A (Koni/Eibach 440/525) + tall RSMs · TMS Camber & Subframe plates · SPC Adj alloy rear camber arms
·RE Trans Mounts · AKG poly SUB/DIFF 95a · SDW RTAB · Weighted ///M knob + UUC DSSR + delrin carrier bush · OE CSL trunk · APEX 75mm Studs
·Sportline 8S 18"x8.5/9.5" · MPSS 245/275 · Brembo 996 36/40 345mm CSL Textar FF & 28/30 328mm CSL ATE "D738" FF · CM brackets & ss/teflon lines
·Pioneer DEH-80PRS · Eclipse PA5422 · CDT HD-6 + WS-100i · CDT EX-530 · 8" Kicker

DD/Beater: 1999 Civic LX - Kenwood x998 · PPI 1600.4 · CDT HD-6 + HD-100 · CDT EX-530 · DVC 10"
Jump to top TboneM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Apr-15-2014, 08:06:38 PM   #22
terraphantm

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantE46M3 View Post
I realize this is an old thread but an M shop I went to told me two TPS sensors? Apparently two to control the ITBs, so however the parts guy at BMW said he has no clue about there being two and would not ask a tech if there was...
Two sensors. One in front of the oil filter housing, one on the throttle actuator.
Old Mon, Apr-21-2014, 02:44:25 PM   #23
FrankJones
Pyro Tech

United States

Does anyone know if there is a way to test the sensor itself to confirm that it is indeed bad??

04' Carbon Black,TC Kline DA, ZCP Rack, Autosolutions 40% SSK,
Evolve CSL Air Box, Rogue Pulleys, Evolve Carbon Roof, CSL Base tune,
SS V1 Header, SS sec 1, Scorza Muffler, 3.91 R&P, JRZ RS Pro,:thumbs:
Jump to top FrankJones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Mar-24-2016, 12:48:15 PM   #24
Schnout

United States

Old post, but current response. I solved this problem with my 2004 E46 vert.

EML + Brake Light + DSC = TOTAL LIMP MODE.

Temporary fix...shut off the car. Restart...don't do what you did just before going into limp mode.

For me...the permanent fix was replacing the "front" Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) (located directly adjacent to the oil filter); (Part number 13-63-7-840-383). $50 at any of a number of online suppliers.

I "dealt with" this problem for about a year; just making sure not to accelerate too much Who the hell wants to drive an M3 like that???

The reason I dealt with it was that nowhere could I find a definitive solution for the problem. FINALLY...I just decided "WHAT THE HECK. THE CAR IS 12 YEARS OLD...AND...IT'S ONLY 50 BUCKS. CAN'T HURT TO PUT IN A NEW TPS."

So...I spent literally less than 10 minutes to replace the front TPS. When I took out the old one, the rotational "switch"/sensor mechanism (which is connected to the end of the throttle control rod causing the sensor internals to rotate inside its housing) was "sloppy" - jiggling around inside the TPS housing. Clearly this sensor had been mechanically worn through probably MILLIONS of rotational cycles.

I put in the new TPS and HOLY CRAP WOW!!!

Let's not even talk about solving the EML/Limp problem...the IMMEDIATE RESPONSE IN INCREASED POWER...INCREASED THROTTLE RESPONSE...NIMBLENESS...

I've driven this car for SEVEN YEARS...AND NEVER FELT IT RUN LIKE THIS!!!

For years, I'd been wanting to run the Suchez Loop (North Georgia mountains), but never dared...because of the EML problem.

Well...just this week, I ran it with my Porsche 944 buddy...who runs it all the time...In spite of his 800 pound lighter vehicle, his driving experience, and his familiarity with the road (which I have never even seen); I was almost nearly able to stay on his tail most of the way...except in the tightest serpentine sections...but...I was close...and thanks to the new TPS...I was able to regain much of the distance in the (very short and very brief) straight sections.

and...we ain't talking about any "GRANNY DRIVING" here boys & girls...

It was ONE VERY SERIOUS RUN...hitting speeds of 100mph+ for brief moments...just before braking into the turns...over and over again...

Let's just say that my oil temp was quite high when we were done

MORAL OF THE STORY...If you ain't changed out your TPS (there are two of them - identical P/N - one on each end of the throttle system), and your car is "old enough" to have cycled these sensors a few million times...

CHANGE THEM NOW!!! REGARDLESS OF WHETHER OR NOT YOU ARE EXPERIENCING EML PROBLEM (YET).

I bought two...and fortunately the easy one solved "THE PROBLEM," but now I am going to install the second one, which is evidently below the intake manifold...a bit tougher to get to...but it's gonna be WELL WORTH the small extra effort.
Jump to top Schnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Mar-24-2016, 11:13:59 PM   #25
e46IX

Canada

Yeah I've been in and out of limp mode as well. It always happens on the highway when I'm cruising at a steady speed between 110-120km/hr.. as soon as I step on it to overpass someone the car would go in limp mode. Huge PITA to pull over while on the highway or limp along at 80km/hr in the right lane only to have 18-wheeler trucks and Toyota Prius' overtake you. The worst.

Changed the front TPS by the oil filter housing but the problem persists.. mind you with less frequency. I will take care of the one underneat the intake manifold and the gas pedal next. Hopefully that takes care of the EML for good.
Jump to top e46IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Mar-25-2016, 10:09:31 PM   #26
amolaCabriot
Constantine

In the garage:

United States

I had this same problem when I first bought my 03, had no idea what it was. Probably happend about once a week or do. Eventually it just stopped happening. I never replaced the tps, all I did was typical mods (tune, full exhaust, pulleys and some other stuff). It started occurring less frequently and then just eventually stopped happening a couple years ago and hasnt done it since. I wonder if it was just the tps connector being loose or sloppily plugged on. Either way if it happens again at least I know what to look at. Thanks guys

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Megan Racing sec. 3
Auto Solutions SSK 30%
ST XTA coilovers with camber plates
CobyWheel wrapped interior
Brushed Aluminum "Pillar" interior
AutoCarbon M sport carbon fiber Steering Wheel
H&R front and rear sway bars with Hotchkis end links
UUC Rtabs and FCABs
ECS drilled and slotted 2 piece front rotors
Centrio drilled and slotted rear rotors
ECS braided stainless steel brake lines
Custom stereo system with Avin headunit
Vibra-technics engine and tranny mounts
UUC clutch valve delete
ECS lower control arms
Mishimoto SPAL fan kit
SAP delete with block off plate
Turner motorsports Carbonfiber front strut brace
And Many More......
Jump to top amolaCabriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jun-15-2016, 07:38:43 PM   #27
EUROFEST

In the garage:

Canada

Ok, i'm pretty stuck here.

EML comes on.. swapped the front TPS, still doing it. Changed the throttle actuator motor (and 2nd TPS).. still comes on (less frequently now, only after 45mins of driving).

I suspect it's my fuel pump as the EML light comes on after the car has a hiccup (like a momentary fuel starvation symptom). My AFR gauge hits full lean when the hiccup starts, then boom.. EML and limp mode. Once in a while, the car doesn't start during starter motor engagement. I hate throwing $800.00 parts at it and finding out they don't solve the problem, but i'll keep everyone updated if the fuel pump causes an EML fault.
-'07 335i Cab (space grey/blk)

2002 BMW M3 SMG, Matte Metallic Purple Wrap on Cinnamon
ENGINE: Schrick 288/280 cams | Head decked/ported/polished | Evolve CSL box | MarkD CSL map tune
EXHAUST/DRIVETRAIN: Headers | 200cell midpipes | Agency Power V1 Muffler | 4.10 Differential
SUSPENSION/CHASSIS: Hotbits DT1 coilovers | TMS Sway Bars | Adj. end links | GC RSMs | Powerflex RTABS | TMS subframe reinforcement
WHEELS/TIRES: BCForged HB29, 19x9.5" & 11" | RE760- 235/275
BRAKES: (4) WPpro 6-pots | Sawblade discs | Steel Braided thoughout
EXTERIOR: Avery Wrap | CSL Trunklid | Hamann splitter | ACS roof spoiler | blacked-out trim theme
INTERIOR: Cinnamon interior swap | Raven 6-pnt cage | Kenwood KIV BT900 | DLS components/A7 amp/12" sub | Schroth harness | Billet F1 paddles
Jump to top EUROFEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jun-15-2016, 11:32:51 PM   #28
loser

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by EUROFEST View Post
Ok, i'm pretty stuck here.

EML comes on.. swapped the front TPS, still doing it. Changed the throttle actuator motor (and 2nd TPS).. still comes on (less frequently now, only after 45mins of driving).

I suspect it's my fuel pump as the EML light comes on after the car has a hiccup (like a momentary fuel starvation symptom). My AFR gauge hits full lean when the hiccup starts, then boom.. EML and limp mode. Once in a while, the car doesn't start during starter motor engagement. I hate throwing $800.00 parts at it and finding out they don't solve the problem, but i'll keep everyone updated if the fuel pump causes an EML fault.
There are two TPS on the car, it could still be the second switch that is causing you the issue.
Jump to top loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jun-21-2016, 08:08:14 AM   #29
Audigy

In the garage:

Canada

Mine came on tonight while driving home after spending time with some friends.. eml comes on as i start the car. Didn't think much of it since everything felt as usually. Then punch the throttle .. annnddd loss of power.. traction light, brake, service engine all come on. Virtually no throttle response, thing is a crawl off the lights.
This was rather disappointing. After 6 seasons of ownership this was the first time I felt this could actually leave me stranded. Hope this is a cheap fix, already getting the power steering pump done this year.
Its an 06 comp pck with 104xxx km on it and its a smg for reference.

2006 IB ZCP SMG
Jump to top Audigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jun-21-2016, 10:57:44 PM   #30
EUROFEST

In the garage:

Canada

I'm starting to get frustrated! So far I have replaced the following parts and still experiencing the EML "limp" problem...

1) TPS - front one
2) TPS - under manifold
3) TPS - throttle pedal assembly actually
4) Throttle actuator motor - under manifold
5) Fuel pump - in tank

Only thing left to do is fuel filter and/or regulator.
Did the fuel filter 2yrs ago, so I can't see it being that.
I'm almost at my wits end! I'll post the solution (if/when I find it).

I know going to CSL/map tune makes the system much more sensitive with lack of MAF, but this is ridiculous.
-'07 335i Cab (space grey/blk)

2002 BMW M3 SMG, Matte Metallic Purple Wrap on Cinnamon
ENGINE: Schrick 288/280 cams | Head decked/ported/polished | Evolve CSL box | MarkD CSL map tune
EXHAUST/DRIVETRAIN: Headers | 200cell midpipes | Agency Power V1 Muffler | 4.10 Differential
SUSPENSION/CHASSIS: Hotbits DT1 coilovers | TMS Sway Bars | Adj. end links | GC RSMs | Powerflex RTABS | TMS subframe reinforcement
WHEELS/TIRES: BCForged HB29, 19x9.5" & 11" | RE760- 235/275
BRAKES: (4) WPpro 6-pots | Sawblade discs | Steel Braided thoughout
EXTERIOR: Avery Wrap | CSL Trunklid | Hamann splitter | ACS roof spoiler | blacked-out trim theme
INTERIOR: Cinnamon interior swap | Raven 6-pnt cage | Kenwood KIV BT900 | DLS components/A7 amp/12" sub | Schroth harness | Billet F1 paddles
Jump to top EUROFEST is offline   Reply With Quote