BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006) > Coding and Tuning
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Coding and Tuning Discuss all avenues of coding and tuning here!

Old Wed, Jun-27-2018, 02:52:39 AM   #871
maynard423

United States

Default MSS52 / MSS54 / MSS54HP Binary Modification Tool

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOWER View Post
I guess. I've never done this before so just getting set up to do mine. They are sold out at ECUWorx.

Is there an Amazon equivalent of this: https://www.ecuworx.co.uk/wp-content...AN-USB-Top.jpg

Or is the one you have what is needed to work with Martyn's software?

The one I have is what you need. I bought them from Amazon and itís identical in appearance.

Bmw Inpa Cable With Switch BMW K+D CAN USB Interface Cable Car Ediabas K+ Dcan USB OBD2 OBDii Diagnostic Scanner For BMW

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Jun-27-2018, 02:55:08 AM   #872
mrgizmo04

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: MSS52 / MSS54 / MSS54HP Binary Modification Tool

I've run the Amazon one, works fine.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

All DIY: 330 ZHP steering rack, diffsonline 4.1 diff with rem polish, E60 short shifter lever, AKG black diff bushings/subframe bushings, Rogue rtab, WPC rod bearings, Beyer driveshaft, full SS (SS stepped V1, catted S1, resonated S2, SS sport), Sachs clutch/flywheel, rear main, VANOS bullet proofing with anti-rattle, valve adjustment, cooling refresh, Ohlins R&T/Swift 448f 672r/GC street tops and camber plates, AFD E85 Proflex kit.

Happy to help with VANOS or any other DIY job around NorCal
Jump to top mrgizmo04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jun-27-2018, 01:43:41 PM   #873
geargrndr
Working for Nefarious Porpoises

United States

Martyn's software doesn't actually USE a cable, its whatever flasher read/write software you use that uses the cable.

Yes BMWFlash or MSSFlasher (most commonly used for MSS54 by ECUWorx folks I think...) will work fine with any of those "K+DCAN" cables, although IME they
1. vary in quality - some are better than others...
2. unfortunately all tend to look the same...

The 'bad' ones tend to work fine for a while then crap out. In my experience they crap out from being plugged in too long and overheating probably because of some bad PCB layout or some minor resistor part spec mistake. I wish I could tell you how to ID the 'good' ones vs the 'not so good' ones but honestly I've had a good number of them and have ones that externally look the same but one has a better PCB layout than the other.

IME, If you just get-in and get-out quick data (short) read and write, then they all tend to work fine, the times they crap out are more like during extended projects if the cable has been left plugged in for 10 minutes or something... If they crap out, sometimes they will 'come back' after being left to sit for a while unplugged (suggesting again that its some kind of overheat situation on the board).
1999 Cherokee Sport 4L (trailer-hitched in-law loaner bomber)

Recently Former...
1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

Jump to top geargrndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jun-27-2018, 02:22:44 PM   #874
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

https://www.bcables.com/#xl_anchor_facts

I got my cable from here, and have left it plugged in for hours without issue in the past. Their automatic software (NCS, INPA, etc) is convenient in that it's just a one click process to get it all installed, but it's a bit of a PITA in that it won't run without the cable plugged in.

Either way, it's an easy way to get everything up and running with a reliable cable... just with a bit of DRM annoyance.

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, 03 530i, 04 M3 wagon, and some boring stuff
Past cars: 04 M3, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jun-27-2018, 02:39:14 PM   #875
geargrndr

United States

Yeah, Mikes Easy DIS package is a pretty easy way to get basic software tools working on any old generic cable. Isn't quite as one-click-for-dummies as the bcables (or bmteknic or whatever those other variations are...) and doesn't give you that 'master menu' but it makes it a lot easier than the previous slog through multiple installs of the original BMW software...

Recently Former...

Old Sun, Jul-01-2018, 06:23:59 PM   #876
WOLFN8TR
/// MONEY \\\

In the garage:

United States

Quick question, I'm going to flash my first partial read modified with the MSS54 Tool. Can I use a Battery Tender or do I need a 10amp battery charger? I have both but my Battery Tender has a quick connect installed. My battery is only 6 months old. Thanks...

BAVSOUND Stage 1 - UltraGauge - Valentine One - Orion V4's - ARC-8's
TTFS Engine/SMG Tune - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA - Evolve Eventuri
VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser - OE CSL Trunk - BWS 500S 9k/11k
Jump to top WOLFN8TR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jul-01-2018, 07:24:21 PM   #877
geargrndr

United States

Two answers...

Ideally.... you always use some kind of a charger that:

1. has a 'programming' setting that puts the system voltage up in the 14-15 range and holds it there, and
2. supports enough current (amps) so that it can maintain that voltage level while regardless of might be activated/drawing during the flash period.

There's a whole debate about how BMW now specs some 100A charger and so people think it needs 100A of actual current to program but that's BS. Even granting that F-series do apparently suck a lot more power down, its not remotely the "70A" or whatever it is that BMW says someplace. I'm pretty sure that's a massive misinterpretation of a combination of CYA on their part, and, the fact that in order to spec a quality, reliable, dealer-abusable unit, it also happens to be a high amperage unit. Like if you want a really reliable pro-use generator, you could end up with way more wattage than you need cuz you can't get a low power one with the best quality.

But we're back here in the ancient times of E46's anyway, and things aren't nearly so problematic. To keep an 'ignition on but blower fan off and door closed' E46 at voltage, its generally in the single digit amps not 100's. Its really not a big requirement.

But... Practically/pragmatically... IME, a rock solid battery and no major consumers on in the car will manage a quick 'data only' flash fine, as long as your car has no issues (and the battery is truly fully charged / no issues). Honestly the bigger danger is that you kick the cable out with your foot or it falls out because it didn't quite seat perfectly.

In the real world:
- I have flashed my cars on a solid battery only plenny of times.
- If I'm working on somebody elses car I always put a charger on that can supply up to 25A, because - CMA too, and, I'd hate to have the one time freak-brick be on sombody elses' ride.
- Even on my cars, if I'm programming for any length of time - like more than one quick flash - I'll hook up something. But sometimes that well might be one of the couple little ~1A-ish tenders I have, just as 'light insurance'.
- If I'm flashing the program too, (not just data) then I'll prob hook up a bigger charger, because of the increased flashing/programming time and increased hassle if it bricks mid-flash

So... yes ideally best if you have a fat charger on it with a 'programming' mode, but, a known good/charged battery and tender should be fine.

Recently Former...

Old Sun, Jul-01-2018, 07:51:14 PM   #878
WOLFN8TR
/// MONEY \\\

In the garage:

United States

Ok sounds good. Thanks the detailed response.

Old Sun, Jul-01-2018, 08:23:24 PM   #879
Dr M3an M3
GroupBuyingPower@outlook. com

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by geargrndr View Post
Two answers...

Ideally.... you always use some kind of a charger that:

1. has a 'programming' setting that puts the system voltage up in the 14-15 range and holds it there, and
2. supports enough current (amps) so that it can maintain that voltage level while regardless of might be activated/drawing during the flash period.

There's a whole debate about how BMW now specs some 100A charger and so people think it needs 100A of actual current to program but that's BS. Even granting that F-series do apparently suck a lot more power down, its not remotely the "70A" or whatever it is that BMW says someplace. I'm pretty sure that's a massive misinterpretation of a combination of CYA on their part, and, the fact that in order to spec a quality, reliable, dealer-abusable unit, it also happens to be a high amperage unit. Like if you want a really reliable pro-use generator, you could end up with way more wattage than you need cuz you can't get a low power one with the best quality.

But we're back here in the ancient times of E46's anyway, and things aren't nearly so problematic. To keep an 'ignition on but blower fan off and door closed' E46 at voltage, its generally in the single digit amps not 100's. Its really not a big requirement.

But... Practically/pragmatically... IME, a rock solid battery and no major consumers on in the car will manage a quick 'data only' flash fine, as long as your car has no issues (and the battery is truly fully charged / no issues). Honestly the bigger danger is that you kick the cable out with your foot or it falls out because it didn't quite seat perfectly.

In the real world:
- I have flashed my cars on a solid battery only plenny of times.
- If I'm working on somebody elses car I always put a charger on that can supply up to 25A, because - CMA too, and, I'd hate to have the one time freak-brick be on sombody elses' ride.
- Even on my cars, if I'm programming for any length of time - like more than one quick flash - I'll hook up something. But sometimes that well might be one of the couple little ~1A-ish tenders I have, just as 'light insurance'.
- If I'm flashing the program too, (not just data) then I'll prob hook up a bigger charger, because of the increased flashing/programming time and increased hassle if it bricks mid-flash

So... yes ideally best if you have a fat charger on it with a 'programming' mode, but, a known good/charged battery and tender should be fine.
Great post. Very detailed and informative.

One thing to keep in mind, when using the MSS54HP Binary Modification Tool, you don't need to be connected to the car. The only time you need to be connected is during the partial-read and then the re-flash. If you are using MSSFlasher, it works so fast (30seconds - a minute or so) that I find you don't REALLY need to plug your battery in (assuming it's fully charged and healthy). I agree, there is a bigger risk of accidentally knocking the cable vs battery charge issues. Still good practice to use the appropriate battery tender.

Mods: Genuine OE CSL Bumper, Both Karbonius and Streamline CSL Airboxes, OE CSL Snorkel w/ working Flap, OE Map Sensor + OE Air Rail, Paul Claude Custom Tune, CSL Engine management with CSL converted DME, Supersprint V1 Stepped Headers w/ Oversized Catless section 1, SS 2.5" Twin-Piped Oversized section 2, Rogue Engineering Muffler (soon to be switched), WPC treated rod-bearings, VinceBar (weld) + Redish Plates, Full Beisan VANOS lockdown, BBS LMs w/ PSS, CSL style CF diffuser, Vorsteiner CF CSL Bootlid, CSL SMG Engine DME tune, CSL '255' SMG DME tune.
Active Group-Buys (PM if Interested): OE CSL Bootlids, Supersprint Headers/Exhaust MEGA thread, New Supersprint Oversized Twin-Piped Section 2 ...and more to come!
Please PM me - In search of: Nothing at the moment.
Jump to top Dr M3an M3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jul-01-2018, 09:12:38 PM   #880
WOLFN8TR
/// MONEY \\\

In the garage:

United States

Default MSS52 / MSS54 / MSS54HP Binary Modification Tool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr M3an M3 View Post
Great post. Very detailed and informative.

One thing to keep in mind, when using the MSS54HP Binary Modification Tool, you don't need to be connected to the car. The only time you need to be connected is during the partial-read and then the re-flash. If you are using MSSFlasher, it works so fast (30seconds - a minute or so) that I find you don't REALLY need to plug your battery in (assuming it's fully charged and healthy). I agree, there is a bigger risk of accidentally knocking the cable vs battery charge issues. Still good practice to use the appropriate battery tender.
Thanks for your help, it sure did flash fast using MSSFLASHER, it took maybe 20 seconds! Posted this info Incase somebody needs it later.

So, you saved your SS54HP Binary Partial Read from Martyn's tool.

1. Open MSSFLasher.
2. Click "Open Tune".
3. Find the file you saved from Martyn's tool and load that file.
4. "Flash Tune"
5. Done...Enjoy the new M3!

Canít thank everyone enough for this tool and all the help. You guys are awesome. Happy 4th to all!

EDIT: Any plans for the ability to modify the Aux Fan temp values to fine tune a electric fan setup? I see this was mentioned previously. Just wondering if this is possible as I live in 100 + degree heat and this would be a very nice feature to have.

Last edited by WOLFN8TR; Sun, Jul-01-2018 at 10:16:16 PM.