BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006) > Coding and Tuning
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Coding and Tuning Discuss all avenues of coding and tuning here!

Old Mon, Jun-25-2018, 07:02:43 PM   #861
geargrndr
Working for Nefarious Porpoises

United States

Default Re: MSS52 / MSS54 / MSS54HP Binary Modification Tool

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLFN8TR View Post
So "Partial" for doing binary tweaks but should I initially save a "Full" read just incase something goes wrong I have an original "Full" copy I can flash back to the ECM?

I was going to use MSSFlasher so I can reset the flash counter.
1. Yes for sure there's never any reason that saving a FULL is a 'problem' in any way, and if you're going to start doing the MSSFlasher stuff then that's probably a very good idea.

2. MSSFlasher is a great tool, but the interface sometimes is a bit funny to understand IMO.
  • Be sure you choose "File - Save Fullbinary" right after doing the full read. I've gotten sloppy and picked "File Save" thinking "I just read a Full so it'll save a Full!" Not so.
  • Clearing the "FC" (flash counter) will go really fast. Tip: might want to immediately read-again, and save, another fullbinary with a new name... ("myM3fullread.afterFlashClear.bin") That gives you a pre-flash-cleared backup also.
  • You don't need to Virginize, so avoid that. It truly nukes the ECU back to absolute zero, and is only really useful for relatively obscure swap-situations... really has no utility on a day-to-day basis.
  • "Restore" is only really related to fullbinaries and virginizing and/or cloning type procedures so you should not need to touch that. (again its a bit misleading of a title... most guys would think "oh I want to restore my regular fullbin so yes check that..." hover the mouse over it for the REAL description of what it does...)
1999 Cherokee Sport 4L (trailer-hitched in-law loaner bomber)

Recently Former...
1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

Jump to top geargrndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, Jun-25-2018, 07:07:12 PM   #862
WOLFN8TR
/// MONEY \\\

In the garage:

United States

Awesome info, thank you. Proceeding now.

BAVSOUND Stage 1 - UltraGauge - Valentine One - Orion V4's - ARC-8's
TTFS Engine/SMG Tune - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA - Evolve Eventuri
VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser - OE CSL Trunk - BWS 500S 9k/11k
Jump to top WOLFN8TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jun-25-2018, 09:30:39 PM   #863
WOLFN8TR
/// MONEY \\\

In the garage:

United States

Success! Thanks guys for the help. Thank you Martyn for creating this Tool!

I have the TTFS SMG & Engine Tune. My engine tune disables the “cold start” sequence, hence the box that is checked but can’t be unchecked. For some reason this feature doesn’t always work upon cold startups.

The CLS SMG Shifting/ Rev Matching box is checked and can be unchecked. (TTFS SMG Tune)

The “SMG inertia update” is unchecked and can be checked. Can this be added to the TTFS SMG Tune?

Last edited by WOLFN8TR; Mon, Jun-25-2018 at 11:39:06 PM.
Old Mon, Jun-25-2018, 09:58:03 PM   #864
Dr M3an M3
GroupBuyingPower@outlook. com

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Success! Thanks guys for the help. Thank you Martyn for creating this Tool!

I have the TTFS SMG & Engine Tune. My engine tune disables the “cold start” sequence, hence the box that is checked but can’t be unchecked. For some reason this feature doesn’t always work upon cold startups.

The CLS SMG Shifting/ Rev Matching box is checked and can be unchecked. (TTFS SMG Tune)

The “SMG inertia update” is unchecked and can be checked. Can this be added to the TTFS SMG Tune?

Crazy you are just now finding out about this tool WOLFN8TR.

I'd also recommend rescaling the Warm-Up Light Recalibration values. I find that the stock CSL values are far more useful than the stock E46 M3 values, which seem pretty much useless and a gimmick.

The CSL Values are (from left-to-right on the tool):

-48*C
30*C
40*C
50*C
60*C
70*C
80*C

Not sure about the answer to your question regarding TTFS's tune, but if the box lets you check-mark it (and it's not greyed out) then you should be able to flash it over. I'd recommend these CSL SMG options (which are flashed to the Engine DME) + flash the '255' CSL software on to the SMG DME -- TTFS's doesn't include that and both the SMG DME and Engine DME values (in relationship to the SMG) are meant to work together.

For what it is worth, here is how my settings look: (Mod list is in my signature)

- Some of the options are greyed out because I am on a CSL DME, which already has some of those options included.
- Custom CSL-based tune was performed by Paul Claude (whom also works closely with MartynT, the creator of this tool)

-Despite the 'Sport' Throttle mapping having the same values as the stock E46 M3's 'Sport" mode, I find that it's MUCH smoother and easier to drive with 'Sport' mode on after the full CSL engine management conversion. In stock form, the 'Sport' throttle mapping seemed too "on/off" sensitive that it felt like it was nearly impossible to achieve a smooth start-off without getting the "bucking bronco"...After the CSL conversion, the 'Sport' button finally seems usable with regards to throttle sensitivity.

-Since I am running a fully functional OE CSL Flap, I remapped the flap opening values.
-In comfort mode, the flap is pretty much closed 100% of the time with the stock CSL Flap RPM values -- Pretty counterproductive to the airbox modification purpose (induction noise) -- When the flap is closed, induction sounds like the stock airbox.
-So I remapped the 'Comfort" mode to have the same opening RPM values that 'Sport' mode had....Ahhhh, now I can hear my airbox.
-Next, I remapped the 'Sport' mode values to that the flap is open anytime I am above 1600rpm. Basically it's opened 100% of the time while moving and closed in any situation that would be more inclined to heat soaking (idling or being stationary in traffic).
-I am sure I will play more around with these values, but right now everything is PERFECT and my car behaves better than it did stock.

For comparison, here are the stock CSL Flap opening RPM Values...Comfort mode makes the airbox basically pointless with the stock values...

Mods: Genuine OE CSL Bumper, Karbonius CSL Airbox, OE CSL Snorkel w/ working Flap, OE Map Sensor + OE Air Rail, Paul Claude Custom Tune, CSL Engine management with CSL converted DME, Supersprint V1 Stepped Headers w/ Oversized Catless section 1, SS 2.5" Twin-Piped Oversized section 2, Rogue Engineering Muffler (soon to be switched), WPC treated rod-bearings, VinceBar (weld) + Redish Plates, Full Beisan VANOS lockdown, BBS LMs w/ PSS, CSL style CF diffuser, Vorsteiner CF CSL Bootlid, CSL SMG Engine DME tune, CSL '255' SMG DME tune.
Active Group-Buys (PM if Interested): OE CSL Bootlids, Supersprint Headers/Exhaust MEGA thread, New Supersprint Oversized Twin-Piped Section 2 ...and more to come!
Please PM me - In search of: Nothing at the moment.

Last edited by Dr M3an M3; Mon, Jun-25-2018 at 10:19:42 PM.
Jump to top Dr M3an M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jun-25-2018, 10:36:11 PM   #865
WOLFN8TR
/// MONEY \\\

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr M3an M3 View Post
Crazy you are just now finding out about this tool WOLFN8TR.

I'd also recommend rescaling the Warm-Up Light Recalibration values. I find that the stock CSL values are far more useful than the stock E46 M3 values, which seem pretty much useless and a gimmick.

The CSL Values are (from left-to-right on the tool):

-48*C
30*C
40*C
50*C
60*C
70*C
80*C

Not sure about the answer to your question regarding TTFS's tune, but if the box lets you check-mark it (and it's not greyed out) then you should be able to flash it over. I'd recommend these CSL SMG options (which are flashed to the Engine DME) + flash the '255' CSL software on to the SMG DME -- TTFS's doesn't include that and both the SMG DME and Engine DME values (in relationship to the SMG) are meant to work together.

I'm more of a Mechanical hands on kind of guy. Software stuff makes me kinda nervous messing around with the ECU. BUT now that I have Martyn's Tool it's ON! Thanks for all the great info I appreciate it.

Old Tue, Jun-26-2018, 12:39:41 AM   #866
SLOWER

In the garage:

United States

Can anyone recommend a FT232RL cable for me?
Jump to top SLOWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jun-26-2018, 01:09:24 AM   #867
maynard423

United States

Default MSS52 / MSS54 / MSS54HP Binary Modification Tool

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOWER View Post
Can anyone recommend a FT232RL cable for me?

Same as D/K CAN cable?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by maynard423; Tue, Jun-26-2018 at 01:12:48 AM.
Jump to top maynard423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jun-26-2018, 01:11:33 AM   #868
maynard423

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by maynard423 View Post
I have a brand new D/KCAN available. Long story short i ordered 2 mistakenly and have no use for the second one. But....... I just realized your not looking for a D/K Can cable as I was typing this.

Old Tue, Jun-26-2018, 03:48:27 PM   #869
geargrndr
Working for Nefarious Porpoises

United States

Quote:
My engine tune disables the “cold start” sequence, hence the box that is checked but can’t be unchecked.
I'm not sure what Martyn does there, I also have things that show up as "un-uncheckable". EWS delete for one. I can remove it manually if I want but it won't let me uncheck the box in the tool. Huh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr M3an M3 View Post
I find that it's MUCH smoother and easier to drive with 'Sport' mode on after the full CSL engine management conversion. In stock form, the 'Sport' throttle mapping seemed too "on/off" sensitive that it felt like it was nearly impossible to achieve a smooth start-off without getting the "bucking bronco"...After the CSL conversion, the 'Sport' button finally seems usable with regards to throttle sensitivity.
First of all, when tweaking the Sport mode maps, its only the first handful that need to be 'toned down' a bit I think. The rest of them are mostly fine, its just that steep "tip-in" that needs to be softened up. And yeah on the stock tune the stock Sport maps blow donkeydonks.

Re: your CSL calibration... Sure, there are a lot of other pedal/throttle/torque parameters so definitely those maps are not the only ones that affect driveability.

There's a whole anti-jerking function that I have never read a breakdown of, but I've always assumed it might aid in managing that.

Given that a bunch of that stuff is different in the CSL / apha tune, its no wonder the pedal behavior is different. There's also a 'failsafe' pedal map... Some of the 'hacker' alpha tunes may very well use that actually (by hacker alpha tunes I mean the kind that just force the car onto the failsafe alpha map, retune that, and then delete the DTC's)
1999 Cherokee Sport 4L (trailer-hitched in-law loaner bomber)

Recently Former...
1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

Jump to top geargrndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jun-27-2018, 02:42:23 AM   #870
SLOWER

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by maynard423 View Post
Same as D/K CAN cable?

I guess. I've never done this before so just getting set up to do mine. They are sold out at ECUWorx.

Is there an Amazon equivalent of this: https://www.ecuworx.co.uk/wp-content...AN-USB-Top.jpg

Or is the one you have what is needed to work with Martyn's software?
Jump to top SLOWER is offline   Reply With Quote