BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Mon, Jul-22-2019, 05:07:47 AM   #21
simon_c

United States

Default Re: Price check help

I personally believe slicktops demand a premium. Single owner, full maintenance records is certainly worth extraas well so if that's part of the car that you're looking at then 25K could very well be worth the price if it's as well sorted as you mentioned.
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, Jul-22-2019, 12:22:13 PM   #22
nikospsy

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon_c View Post
I personally believe slicktops demand a premium. Single owner, full maintenance records is certainly worth extraas well so if that's part of the car that you're looking at then 25K could very well be worth the price if it's as well sorted as you mentioned.
+1

I bought a slicktop recently for the same reason as you. I was looking for some time but couldn't find any '03.5+, clean 6MT, slicktops, with 50-60K miles; without even being picky about the color combo. There were only 2 options when I was looking, one with 50-60Kmiles, '06, clean car and one with 100k+, both TiAg over black, which is the most common combo as others have said. Ended up buying the first for $25-30K even though it wasn't a really rare color combo, but car was clean, met my criteria and I just couldn't give up the opportunity. My point is that IMO slicktops will demand a premium cuz quite frankly there's very few of them in the US, yes it is a personal preference but so is a LSB, or any other rare color combo...if there's not a lot of them out there your options will be limited.
I recall when I was looking for one, sites like autotrader, cargurus, cars.com don't even have an easy way to pick the slicktops out...you literally have to go through each ads photos lol Good luck with your search!
Jump to top nikospsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jul-22-2019, 12:39:54 PM   #23
Maxima SE
445 FTW

United States

Yeah but slicktop can easily be had with a CF roof conversion.
Old Mon, Jul-22-2019, 02:25:12 PM   #24
SlickmisterN
Surrounded By Grapes

Greece

And LSB can easily be had with a spray gun or wrap... :rolleyes:

I would not pay an '03.5 premium merely cause you like the LED tails. Wanting the MK60 for track or auto-x is another story but really a marginal difference.
Jump to top SlickmisterN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jul-22-2019, 02:48:31 PM   #25
Maxima SE
445 FTW

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickmisterN View Post
And LSB can easily be had with a spray gun or wrap... :rolleyes:
Really now?

A quality paint job is 8-10 grand. Iím not even going to entertain your wrap idea.
Old Mon, Jul-22-2019, 02:52:02 PM   #26
SlickmisterN
Surrounded By Grapes

Greece

Woosh

(Maxima SE's head)

Last edited by SlickmisterN; Mon, Jul-22-2019 at 02:55:50 PM.
Jump to top SlickmisterN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jul-22-2019, 02:57:13 PM   #27
nikospsy

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxima SE View Post
Yeah but slicktop can easily be had with a CF roof conversion.
CF roof conversion doesn't sound like the easiest of mods to me, of course you can do it but calling it an easy mod is a bit if a stretch. And even if you were to do that, why not just buy a slicktop from the very beginning instead of paying for the conversion?
Jump to top nikospsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jul-23-2019, 12:09:02 AM   #28
Maxima SE
445 FTW

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikospsy View Post
CF roof conversion doesn't sound like the easiest of mods to me, of course you can do it but calling it an easy mod is a bit if a stretch. And even if you were to do that, why not just buy a slicktop from the very beginning instead of paying for the conversion?
Its definitely easier than SMG to 6MT swap or a full on paint job. Of course it will cost way more if you were to pay someone to do it but its a mod that an average DIY can pull off, for a reasonable price, specially with the help of a local forum member, which many people on here have done. How many people on here do you know that have done a full on paintjob on their own?

OP. this is not a 30 grand car. this seller is located in SoCal where these things go for a premium and even then he is out of his mind. that car is worth 23 grand and not a penny more IMO

https://www.bmwcca.org/ads/219241
Old Tue, Jul-23-2019, 01:28:35 AM   #29
IrwinMFletcher

United States

Quote:
OP. this is not a 30 grand car. this seller is located in SoCal where these things go for a premium and even then he is out of his mind. that car is worth 23 grand and not a penny more IMO

Yep, thatís the one.

Iíve reached out to see if he is flexible on price. Iíll let you guys know how it turns out. If not this one, than another.

Thanks again for all the input.
Jump to top IrwinMFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jul-23-2019, 01:25:35 PM   #30
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Its definitely easier than SMG to 6MT swap or a full on paint job. Of course it will cost way more if you were to pay someone to do it but its a mod that an average DIY can pull off, for a reasonable price, specially with the help of a local forum member, which many people on here have done. How many people on here do you know that have done a full on paintjob on their own?

Having done both....

No ****ing way the CF roof is easier than SMG --> 6mt conversion. The roof is easily the worst project I've done on my car. It's also no exaggeration to say that if you do it incorrectly, you can total the car. SMG to 6MT is a casual weekend project.

I think your prices estimates are out of date as well. 2 years ago your prices were about right, but these days what he's looking for is likely a 25-30k car.

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5,04 M3 wagon, 2017 i3
Past cars: 04 M3, 03 530i, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car

Last edited by Obioban; Tue, Jul-23-2019 at 01:29:01 PM.
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote