BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > M3Forum Garage > M3 Track: Racing and DE
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

M3 Track: Racing and DE Best mod for speed is learning to get the most out of what you currently have. Tracks and DE's is the place to start!

Old Sun, Jul-21-2019, 12:50:37 AM   #1
SQ13

In the garage:

United States

Default PSA: Check your bolts/nuts frequently

I was at COTA yesterday and experienced brake failure during one of the sessions. Turns out, the lower bolt for the RR caliper carrier worked its way loose. See pics for the end result.

I wear earplugs and didnít hear anything until the checkered flag came out. I went through my video and, again, didnít hear anything until the checkered flag came out. Iím lucky the brakes kept working and that I didnít crash or anything.

Last time I worked on the rear brakes was back in August 2018, so I couldnít tell you if I forgot to torque or not. But I feel like I did torque given that my procedure for brakes is to torque two times right after the bolt goes on. Maybe I shouldíve used loctite. Regardless, itís my fault for not checking the bolts before going on track. My plan now is to torque literally all hardware and mark them with a paint pen before I drive the car again, check the pen marks every 3 or 6 months, and retorque annually. Just an FYI so you donít have to experience what I did.

On another note, I experienced pad knockback for the first time. I didnít think it could happen with stock calipers and my pace. I thought my front bearings might have been going bad, but maybe th RR caliper caused it. Idk
Jump to top SQ13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sun, Jul-21-2019, 01:27:12 AM   #2
foolio
40oz. to Freedom

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: PSA: Check your bolts/nuts frequently

Hard to tell from the pics but I would check that wheel carefully to make sure that caliper dragging didn’t start to machine it in half.

2003 BMW M3 - SMG - Laguna Seca Blue - Track car, track stuff
Old Sun, Jul-21-2019, 01:59:17 AM   #3
Metro81

In the garage:

United States

Woah, same thing that happened to me at VIR on Memorial Day only it was my front right. I hadnít worked on the brakes since February and had two events before my Ďincident.í Like you I plan to torque and mark all the bolts/fasteners I can get eyes on - one of my buddies has a safety wire tool and has been looking for an excuse to use it!

TTFS | CPI | RE | APEX | PFC | KW | GC | CSF | KoyoRad | BimmerWorld | Hard Motorsports | Status Gruppe | n15DESIGN | RaceWerks
Jump to top Metro81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jul-21-2019, 02:17:04 AM   #4
ThunderMoose

In the garage:

United States

Had the exact same thing happen to me at WGI last July. I think mine was LR. I got away with just a bracket. Inside of my rim looked like yours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#67 2017 NASA TX TT3 Champion

FLMS Half Cage, RaceTech 4009HR drivers seat, Schroth 6-Pt Harness, E.S.S. Fire System, AIM SOLO DL with ECU Harness, SmartyCam, Angle Aluminum with VAC dead pedal, Sparco Steering Wheel on MOMO hub, MCS Suspension, Hyperco 800F 900R springs, Hotchkis Front and Rear Sway bars, Vorshlag Camber Plates, Turner ARCA, AJ Hartman Front Splitter, BW V2 Wing, BW CF Rear Diffuser, APEX ARC-8 wheels, Brembo BBK Front, Carbon Fiber Roof, CF Headlight Blanks, Door Windows and Cards Delete, TMS rear and front subframe reinforcement, Zionsville Competition Cooler, BW Oil Cooler, Oil Diverter Valve, Motorsports Thermostat, Evolve CF Intake, Epic Stepped Headers, Turner Pulleys, BW 3.5" Race Exhaust, EPIC Alpha N Tune, Beisan Oil Disk and Vanos Seals, ZF 5MT, CAE Ultra Shifter

My track journal: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=509148
Jump to top ThunderMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jul-21-2019, 03:12:28 AM   #5
AXDB

In the garage:

United States

I paint pen everything as I check it. Touch every bolt I can before every event. Not re torquing. But inspection of paint mark and making sure it didnít back a perfect 1 full turn.

2003 M3 Carbon Black / Cinnamon
Jump to top AXDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jul-21-2019, 05:40:09 AM   #6
Exclusivs

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXDB View Post
I paint pen everything as I check it. Touch every bolt I can before every event. Not re torquing. But inspection of paint mark and making sure it didnít back a perfect 1 full turn.

Whereís the ideal place to Mark?
Or does everyone have preference. Iíd think 12oclock?

OP glad wasnít anything more severe.

Jump to top Exclusivs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jul-21-2019, 06:03:58 AM   #7
SQ13

In the garage:

United States

Maybe retorquing everything is an overkill. I'll probably do critical components like brakes and studs anyways, and just check the others as AXDB does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro81 View Post
Woah, same thing that happened to me at VIR on Memorial Day only it was my front right. I hadnít worked on the brakes since February and had two events before my Ďincident.í Like you I plan to torque and mark all the bolts/fasteners I can get eyes on - one of my buddies has a safety wire tool and has been looking for an excuse to use it!
Where would you tie the safety wire?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderMoose View Post
Had the exact same thing happen to me at WGI last July. I think mine was LR. I got away with just a bracket. Inside of my rim looked like yours.
Did you end up reusing the wheel? I was thinking I shouldn't use mine for anything other than a decoration piece.

My rear calipers are probably due for a rebuild, so I'm buying rebuilt calipers. They're only $75 ea.
Jump to top SQ13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jul-21-2019, 10:58:46 AM   #8
ThunderMoose

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQ13 View Post
Maybe retorquing everything is an overkill. I'll probably do critical components like brakes and studs anyways, and just check the others as AXDB does.

Where would you tie the safety wire?

Did you end up reusing the wheel? I was thinking I shouldn't use mine for anything other than a decoration piece.

My rear calipers are probably due for a rebuild, so I'm buying rebuilt calipers. They're only $75 ea.

I reused mine.

#67 2017 NASA TX TT3 Champion

FLMS Half Cage, RaceTech 4009HR drivers seat, Schroth 6-Pt Harness, E.S.S. Fire System, AIM SOLO DL with ECU Harness, SmartyCam, Angle Aluminum with VAC dead pedal, Sparco Steering Wheel on MOMO hub, MCS Suspension, Hyperco 800F 900R springs, Hotchkis Front and Rear Sway bars, Vorshlag Camber Plates, Turner ARCA, AJ Hartman Front Splitter, BW V2 Wing, BW CF Rear Diffuser, APEX ARC-8 wheels, Brembo BBK Front, Carbon Fiber Roof, CF Headlight Blanks, Door Windows and Cards Delete, TMS rear and front subframe reinforcement, Zionsville Competition Cooler, BW Oil Cooler, Oil Diverter Valve, Motorsports Thermostat, Evolve CF Intake, Epic Stepped Headers, Turner Pulleys, BW 3.5" Race Exhaust, EPIC Alpha N Tune, Beisan Oil Disk and Vanos Seals, ZF 5MT, CAE Ultra Shifter

My track journal: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=509148
Jump to top ThunderMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jul-21-2019, 12:04:38 PM   #9
AXDB

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exclusivs View Post
Whereís the ideal place to Mark?
Or does everyone have preference. Iíd think 12oclock?

OP glad wasnít anything more severe.

Doesnít matter. Just mark on the bolt and on the chassis.

2003 M3 Carbon Black / Cinnamon
Jump to top AXDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jul-21-2019, 12:17:47 PM   #10
bigjae1976

In the garage:

United States

Default PSA: Check your bolts/nuts frequently

Use red loctite for the caliper bracket bolts despite BMW not specifying it.

Only drawback is it wonít be fun removing the bracket. Really canít get a breaker bar or a torch in there. Just gotta be a man and get it off.

I just use my cheap ratchet and bang the handle with a small sledge.

Oh...and replace those bracket bolts periodically.

Last edited by bigjae1976; Sun, Jul-21-2019 at 01:34:10 PM.
Jump to top bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote