BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Sat, Jul-20-2019, 05:25:20 PM   #61
RingRocket

Switzerland

Default Re: J-Fiber CF Driveshaft Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G View Post
Sounds like a good way to break every component of the drivetrain.
Indeed.
Jump to top RingRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sun, Jul-21-2019, 10:49:11 PM   #62
Pdelamare

United Kingdom

Finally installed mine, and unfortunately there’s a severe vibration over 130mph. I’ve replied to Jessy to see if there’s anything that can be done.
Jump to top Pdelamare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jul-22-2019, 03:16:21 AM   #63
HofmeisterKinky
See what I did there?

In the garage:

United States

Welp. Taking this off my future plans list.
Old Mon, Jul-22-2019, 03:44:50 AM   #64
pbonsalb

I have the first generation version on my E90M3 and it is fine at 150 mph, which is as fast as I have gone with it. Many trips to 120, 130, 140. Hopefully they will get the issues resolved with the 2nd version. Might just be balancing. If they made a balancing adapter for the CV, you could get it done locally.
Jump to top pbonsalb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jul-22-2019, 03:19:11 PM   #65
stash1

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdelamare View Post
Finally installed mine, and unfortunately there’s a severe vibration over 130mph. I’ve replied to Jessy to see if there’s anything that can be done.
I wonder if their supply of the 'good' flanges dried up and they're having to use some of the sub-standard ones?

Last edited by stash1; Mon, Jul-22-2019 at 03:34:27 PM.
Jump to top stash1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jul-22-2019, 05:07:49 PM   #66
WuBai
Five Spiced and Lovin' It

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by stash1 View Post
I wonder if their supply of the 'good' flanges dried up and they're having to use some of the sub-standard ones?
I'm blessed to have a fully functioning and vibration free driveshaft from J-Fiber. Having said that, there are some things that do concern me.

First issue being some of the vibration that some users have encountered really should have been caught in the quality control process. Could it be due to shipping damage, maybe dropping the driveshaft or not torquing properly/evenly? Sure, but every product should be design around real world applications and conditions and not some idealized lab conditions or solely on the results of a road force like balancing machine. Balancing machine results should be tested against how the driveshaft operates on the actual car in the real world once installed and the machine tweaked accordingly. Doesn't seem that this has been happening.

Second and more importantly is the question of the flanges. On my hunt for getting this driveshaft I read every post and even went to the J-Fiber factory and met with the owners in person. One big question that YCW brought up was one of the flange design.

I asked J-Fiber who made the flanges and whether or not, as Michael states, they were made by YCW or another manufacturer. J-Fiber flat out told me that the flanges were made by themselves. Both the flange on the J-Fiber website and the one on my own driveshaft are the bronze colored ones that Michael said his group provided. Michael even said that the only reason J-Fiber had those was because they were working down existing inventory and once they were done, they were done. J-Fiber flat out denied this and said they made them on their own.

But if you look at the FS section you will see a J-Fiber unit for sale. Notice the color of this flange is almost black. This is NOT the same flange as the one I have on my vehicle. Now why would J-Fiber all of a sudden change colors? They probably wouldn't, they probably just did run out of the bronze flanges and tried to provide their own.

I wonder if these 'new' flanges are causing the issues as Stan mentioned. It would be an easy variable to isolate. Either way, if for some reason this driveshaft fails, I'm glad there are now alternatives on the market from YCW. Not saying that once the YCW driveshaft has more installs that they won't run into any issues, but if they don't then I certainly wouldn't mind giving them a try. I would be very disappointed if J-Fiber was falsely claiming that the bronze 'good' flanges were produced by themselves when in fact they weren't. I had my good friend and translator there with me and I don't think there was any communication issue or misunderstanding when they told me they were. So let's hope that the 'color change' is just that and not a move to an inferior flange design.
Jump to top WuBai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jul-22-2019, 05:42:37 PM   #67
youinreverse

In the garage:

United States

For what it's worth, my first driveshaft that was out of balance had the bronze flanges. My new one I'm pretty sure had different colored flanges. I've got it on a lift at home. When I get back from work I'll check what color they are.
Jump to top youinreverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jul-22-2019, 06:34:49 PM   #68
RingRocket

Switzerland

Well, My first driveshaft has the same flanges as the OP showed. The driveshaft was torqued to spec with a brand new OEM Guibo.

My second DS seems to have the 'new' black flange. I still need to install this one to ensure it's vibration free. Driving these speeds on public roads 'just for testing' won't make for a good excuse though ...

Last edited by RingRocket; Tue, Jul-23-2019 at 07:00:05 PM.
Jump to top RingRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jul-22-2019, 08:05:33 PM   #69
WALKD_U

In the garage:

United States

Keep us posted as we are interested in getting to the bottom of this.
940whp/765wtq SAE Corrected

1996 BLU/BLK M3
NA Bolt-ons
235whp/225wtq SAE Corrected

Instagram:
M3HNGRY

EURO.techniks
<a href=https://www.instagram.com/m3hngry/ target=_blank>M3HNGRY</a>
Jump to top WALKD_U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Aug-06-2019, 10:38:26 PM   #70
Pdelamare

United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdelamare View Post
Finally installed mine, and unfortunately thereís a severe vibration over 130mph. Iíve replied to Jessy to see if thereís anything that can be done.
Iíve replaced my OE drive shaft and the vibration is gone. Iím going to send it back. To say Iím disappointed is an understatement.
Jump to top Pdelamare is offline   Reply With Quote