BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Fri, Apr-21-2017, 05:19:21 AM   #1
EY84002

In the garage:

United States

Default Need Opinions. Style 32 BMW Wheels from Cyruline

Ok. Need some opinions. Short story is this:

A friend recently bought a 1999 323ic, 5spd, with ~25k mi. Beautiful car. I helped him buy some new Style 32's, which are similar to the stock wheel but bigger. Should be a good look.

This guy Cyruline on eBay had a set of 17's that fit E36. Perfect. Buy them, $1350. It takes 3 weeks to get all 4 wheels to me, he lied about fedex losing the package, I spoke with fedex, they never had it. Anyway, here is his listing, and pics. The next 3 photos are straight from his eBay listing...including the photos of these on various vehicles.

His listing & photos:

This is the color I got....I pictured next to one of my town cars wheels to show how dark it is.

Are these blemishes normal for an OEM, dealer take off wheel? Looks refinished to me. These are my pics...he of course advertised as "perfect condition"

It seems quite evident to me that the color is drastically different than he represented, however he is sticking to the story that it's a lighting issue and my fault. I'm open to people's thoughts here. Am I nuts?

Lastly. so stupid me agreed to send him the money straight PayPal instead of purchasing through the eBay so I am not as protected as I would like. He thinks return shipping is my responsibility. He is just awful to deal with.
Old Fri, Apr-21-2017, 07:03:35 AM   #2
westopher

Canada

Default Re: Need Opinions. Style 32 BMW Wheels from Cyruline

Photos can do mysterious things, although I can tell you this.
A) They have been refinished in what he probably tried to do in a very difficult to match OEM colour.
B) You already have learned to take all buyer protection you can. Anyone who suggests discounts otherwise to purchase out of eBay/paypal is willing to **** you over.
C) These wheels can be found in great shape all day for 400-500 bucks, and in 17x8/17x9 sets.
Overall a shitty transaction, but I'd just keep them and take it as a lesson learned. Fighting with this guy seems like it will end up a losing battle unless paypal/your credit card company steps in.

98 m3, techno/anthrazit cloth, 99k and soon to be worthless on BAT
Member journal. http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=491859
Jump to top westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Apr-21-2017, 07:05:58 AM   #3
betrezra

United States

Paypal will protect you. But you are on the hook for return shipping.

Gl
Old Fri, Apr-21-2017, 07:50:28 AM   #4
Braymond141

United States

The color of the wheels could be accurate. He is right about the lighting. The pictures shown on some of the cars are not accurate. Anything with a black base coat, as he has shown, is going to be a chrome shadow.

Are the green and blue dots shown in the pics present on the received set?

Yes some of that damage is normal for dealer takeoffs. They had tires on them and removal by incompentent workers leads to edge damages. Does not match his description however. The flaking paint... maybe OE. Don't give BMW too much credit for making nice parts.

I think you're both in the wrong here. You for thinking the color was something else (it is misleading some so I get it). Him for not understanding what "not a single scratch" means.
Jump to top Braymond141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Apr-21-2017, 08:04:03 AM   #5
M_Parallel
Mr. OEM

Netherlands

Unless the ebay pics were photoshopped to look silver, they are not the same wheels.

There is lighting and then there is just messing around.

Even if they would be the same set, the way they are presented doesn't reflect reality. Enough for an uncorrectly described item claim.

'98 S50B32 M3 SMG Cabrio . Alpinweiß III auf Schwarz . 1 of 10 made
Jump to top M_Parallel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Apr-21-2017, 08:10:29 AM   #6
Braymond141

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Parallel View Post
Unless the ebay pics were photoshopped to look silver, they are not the same wheels.

There is lighting and then there is just messing around.

Even if they would be the same set, the way they are presented doesn't reflect reality. Enough for an uncorrectly described item claim.
"Hyper Black" "chrome shadow" coating processes look exactly as shown in the ad and by EY. It would be better to suggest he try to duplicate the lighting used in the ad versus the dark lighting next to a bright silver wheel. I have covered this in the past with powdercoatings. Perspective skews perception greatly.
Old Fri, Apr-21-2017, 12:10:10 PM   #7
M-technik-3

In the garage:

I ran them on my M3 and 318Ti. fit great but they are soft and in New England roads are crap so I bent. They are also boat anchors so your suspension has to work harder with the extra weight. I never understood why BMW opted for such heavy cast wheels for the E36.

I have a set of OZ and some Kosei's and D-force so I just switch up when I get bored.
Jump to top M-technik-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Apr-21-2017, 07:54:39 PM   #8
EY84002

In the garage:

United States

It's been one lie and excuse after another. I understand these can be had for less money, we bought from him to avoid the snakes selling misrepresented/bent/fake wheels. Paying a premium was AOK.

Regardless of the color debate, which I will never agree with because I had them out in the bright sun. It's a combination of other things:

-The wheels are not the same wheels that were pictured. His pictured wheels are all one color...face and barrel. These wheels have black barrels and visible tape marks from when they were painted/refinished. The blue/green dots are in the different locations.

-It took 3 weeks to get the wheels when he told me 3 days handling time and FedEx Ground is a 3day ship. He shipped the fronts and backs a week apart...he lied and told me a label fell off the package. I spoke to FedEx myself, they never had the box.

-The wheels weren't shipped in the white boxes pictured, in fact they were just wrapped in garbage bags and put in a master carton. More evidence that he just stages wheels for pictures and sells other ones.

He hasn't done one thing to earn the benefit of the doubt.

I have my theories on how he runs his business but I will not speculate and stick to writing the facts I can prove. It's ridiculous. I will get my money back, but I'm pissed because I will likely have to pay the return shipping. It's the principal that someone else's unethical actions will end up costing me money.
Old Fri, Apr-21-2017, 08:25:58 PM   #9
Braymond141

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by EY84002 View Post
It's been one lie and excuse after another. I understand these can be had for less money, we bought from him to avoid the snakes selling misrepresented/bent/fake wheels. Paying a premium was AOK.

Regardless of the color debate, which I will never agree with because I had them out in the bright sun. It's a combination of other things:

-The wheels are not the same wheels that were pictured. His pictured wheels are all one color...face and barrel. These wheels have black barrels and visible tape marks from when they were painted/refinished. The blue/green dots are in the different locations.

-It took 3 weeks to get the wheels when he told me 3 days handling time and FedEx Ground is a 3day ship. He shipped the fronts and backs a week apart...he lied and told me a label fell off the package. I spoke to FedEx myself, they never had the box.

-The wheels weren't shipped in the white boxes pictured, in fact they were just wrapped in garbage bags and put in a master carton. More evidence that he just stages wheels for pictures and sells other ones.

He hasn't done one thing to earn the benefit of the doubt.

I have my theories on how he runs his business but I will not speculate and stick to writing the facts I can prove. It's ridiculous. I will get my money back, but I'm pissed because I will likely have to pay the return shipping. It's the principal that someone else's unethical actions will end up costing me money.
If all that is true then one would have to agree with you. I didn't look last night but as I suspected he's the guy that mirror polishes every junkyard wheel he finds. I hate some of the stuff he sells.

Best of luck getting him to do the right thing.

Last edited by Braymond141; Fri, Apr-21-2017 at 10:12:10 PM.
Old Sat, Apr-22-2017, 12:02:17 AM   #10
Nate047

In the garage:

United States

Lesson learned, use PayPal only and go through eBay only.

I got burned recently in an entirely different yet equally frustrating way.