BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Thu, Apr-20-2017, 07:38:08 PM   #1
tresante

United States

Default Drawn out body shop repair, advice!

Hey folks,

I was wondering if I could get some advice. My E46 M3 Convertible took a relatively minor scrape to the rear quarter panel while my wife was parking the car at the beginning of the year.

I got some local quotes and they all came out to around $3k so we knew we would pay the deductible and go through insurance, so decided to take it to the local BMW certified body shop.

A week in I heard back that the damage was close to a reinforcement bar and that it they would have to replace the entire quarter panel. They got authorization from the insurance and the cost of the repair went up to $9k - OK I thought, since I'm not paying and they've given me a loaner.

Of course the repair took a lot longer than anticipated, running well over a month before I went in to finally pick the car up. When I went in I noticed a line of tiny bubbles under the clear coat on the top side of the panel - after raising it they took a look and eventually said they would need more time as they would have to repaint the entire panel.

The second time I went in to pick up the car, it turns out there were problems with the convertible top (which had previously been working fine) - they had to take the car to their service center for reprogramming. After another couple of weeks it turns out they had replaced some of the locks on the roof and a few other parts... the running total was now $12k.

On finally picking the car up, I noticed a loud knocking noise over bumps coming from the affected rear quarter. I took it back and it ended up going back to the service center for more investigatory work. They replaced the battery tray and dampener, another $1k to the bill authorized by the insurance.

Next, I heard they couldn't test drive the car because the seat belt wouldn't retract. It's a long standing issue and it comes out if pulled in a certain way. They wanted $750 to repair it, so I said I'd come in and get it working. It turns out they'd taken it apart and it really does seem jammed now!

In any case we went on a test drive and the knocking does seem to have gone, although I can't get the seatbelt out. I was ready to take the car but the paperwork wasn't ready so they couldn't release the car. On looking at the paintwork in closer detail, there are some bubbles under the clear coat at the bottom of the panel, less noticeable but not a 100% job.

Anyway I'm wondering if I should kick up a fuss or just accept and be done. I feel like the insurance company has been taken for a ride, after all the car can't be worth much more than $13k (it hasn't been totaled). I also feel like for the money the job has been far from perfect and the QC has been lacking.

Any thoughts?
Much appreciated!
Jump to top tresante is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Apr-20-2017, 07:57:44 PM   #2
titus59

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Drawn out body shop repair, advice!

Wow, what a nightmare! Not sure I'd want to give the car back to them.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Jump to top titus59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Apr-20-2017, 07:58:10 PM   #3
billybilly
XBox one peasant

United States

Dont accept that car until you are 100% happy. Call the insurance company, and raise a fuss, get them to take it to another shop if need be.
Old Thu, Apr-20-2017, 08:13:28 PM   #4
forzanerazzurri

In the garage:

Canada

Ridiculous. I know its going to be difficult but see if you can get the car out of there and to another shop.
Old Thu, Apr-20-2017, 08:20:32 PM   #5
m3nt0s

In the garage:

United States

Yep, it's new shop time. As suggested above, make sure to keep the noise going with the insurance company because you want your car back to the way it was before this mess. Good luck OP!
Jump to top m3nt0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Apr-20-2017, 09:35:21 PM   #6
Maximz

In the garage:

United States

The shop is probably just got a 13k check from insurance company, half assed about 3k $ of part and labor, banked 10k and laughed at your car, time for a new shop, but i cant believe the car is not totaled yet... my 02 coupe got totaled at 6700$ estimate, they valued the car at 12.9k.
Jump to top Maximz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Apr-20-2017, 10:01:51 PM   #7
tresante

United States

Hi guys, thanks for the responses. I guess part of the issue is that the car is pretty much back to how it was now, beside the seatbelt which might have worsened by tinkering and bubbles in the clear coat that I would say is fairly minor but definitely an imperfection. As for the money dished out on the car, I guess it's because it's been a drip feed of claims ($3k, then $9k, then $12k, now $13k) rather than a $13k estimate up front which would have been totally whack.
Jump to top tresante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Apr-20-2017, 11:00:10 PM   #8
WuBai
Five Spiced and Lovin' It

United States

Call your insurance company, tell them the whole story. Tell them the shop is taking advantage of them and request another shop. There is absolutely no reason why your car should be in any worse condition than you left it. There should be no bubbles at all, it should look 100 percent OEM. You are the customer, you must be happy and it is their job to ensure that you are. I would have the insurance company find another repair shop and force them to retract any payment to the shop that has causes such damage. This is absolutely disgusting. I've painted and repair two quarter panels in my home garage after watching about 20 hours of 'The Gunman' on YouTube and purchasing a Tekna ProLite spraygun. It came out OEM, and it was my first time. If I can do it, certainly a professional with years of experience can do it right the first time. Not only do you deserve the car to be perfect, you've paid for it to be perfect. Your premiums will increase and one way or another you will be paying, so don't let yourself get taken advantage of anymore. It is past due time for some uncomfortable conversations.
Jump to top WuBai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Apr-21-2017, 11:40:53 AM   #9
tjkenny15

In the garage:

United States

Call the insurance company and bring it to another shop. There's no excuse. Your car should be practically perfect. That's unacceptable. Sorry to hear the run around. Sounds like a nightmare.
Old Fri, Apr-21-2017, 05:11:09 PM   #10
hlmiii

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuBai View Post
Call your insurance company, tell them the whole story. Tell them the shop is taking advantage of them and request another shop. There is absolutely no reason why your car should be in any worse condition than you left it. ... I would have the insurance company find another repair shop and force them to retract any payment to the shop that has causes such damage. ... Your premiums will increase and one way or another you will be paying, so don't let yourself get taken advantage of anymore. It is past due time for some uncomfortable conversations.
Excellent and damn near-perfect response.

Get all of your receipts, emails, transcribed phone conversations and visits (you can find those given a chance, right? ), notes, pictures. Ask to see or personally visit with the adjuster. Be respectful (at least at the start). And then follow through with the WuBai mindset exactly.

It'll take effort and time and swallowing some frustration, but it will get you where you need to be.
Jump to top hlmiii is offline   Reply With Quote