BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Tue, Apr-18-2017, 10:58:58 PM   #11
Braymond141

United States

Default Re: Seats killing my back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunD3v1L View Post
Drove daily in them for the last 6 years, including a 2,300 mile across the country trip in them..
I did SoCal to Pensacola by myself in a stock 01 M3. Worst trip of my life. NEVER again.
Jump to top Braymond141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Apr-18-2017, 11:18:25 PM   #12
WyattH

In the garage:

United States

I've done Vancouver BC to Los Angeles a few times in my M, enjoy every minute of it (except for any traffic leaving or entering the cities).

Dinan | CSL | RAC | TCK | Brembo | \\\WyattH's Journal
Jump to top WyattH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Apr-18-2017, 11:46:29 PM   #13
Graphic

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyattH View Post
I've done Vancouver BC to Los Angeles a few times in my M, enjoy every minute of it (except for any traffic leaving or entering the cities).
Mine has the lumbar support. They are rough. I think the ass cushin sits lower than it should, or the bolster doesn't go low enough.
Jump to top Graphic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Apr-18-2017, 11:46:56 PM   #14
Graphic

United States

Someone has to have a solution to fix these or to somehow keep the air bag.. Otherwise at some point I'm just going to sell it.
Jump to top Graphic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Apr-19-2017, 12:27:22 AM   #15
Dr M3an M3
Why does everyone think my name is Dan? lol

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graphic View Post
Mine has the lumbar support. They are rough. I think the ass cushin sits lower than it should, or the bolster doesn't go low enough.
Maybe you need new seats, if they are rough?

Quote:
Someone has to have a solution to fix these or to somehow keep the air bag.. Otherwise at some point I'm just going to sell it.
To keep the airbag? Huh?

I re-read your original post and am not exactly sure what you are saying is wrong with it. You are saying something is wrong with the bottom of the cushion? Is the padding worn out? What is the condition of your seats (wear-wise) and how many miles are on your car?

I know you said you have tried adjusting the lumbar support, but have you tried actually adjusting the seat angle/height? On the side of the seat with power seats are a number of buttons. They move in multiple directions. Is there a chance that you are only moving the adjustment buttons unidirectionally? Have you looked at the user manual?

Maybe someone else can chime in, but based on what you wrote, I am not sure what fix you are looking for. Other than the seat being "low and uncomfortable," I am not sure that I understand what you are referring to being wrong or how to help fix it.

This is all I've got, I hope it helps:

Mods: Maintenance, WPC treated rod-bearings, VinceBar (weld) + Redish Plates, Full Beisan VANOS 'lockdown', Supersprint V1 Stepped headers w/ Oversized Section 1, SS Resonated X-Pipe section 2, RE El Diablo Muffler, BBS LMs w/ PSS, Streamline CSL Bumper, CSL style CF diffuser, Vorsteiner CF CSL Bootlid, Angel-eyes, CSL SMG Engine DME tune, CSL '255' SMG DME tune, CSL Dynamic Redline Warmup Light parameters.
Upcoming Group-Buys (PM if Interested): OE CSL Bootlids, CSL Bumper, OE CSL Wheels, Supersprint Headers MEGA thread, CSL Airbox...others in the works.
Please PM me - In search of:
-- Wanting to Trade basically brand new Eagle Eye Smoked Reverse Trunk Lights for a pair that are Non-smoked
Jump to top Dr M3an M3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Apr-19-2017, 01:49:48 AM   #16
TheSt|G
Resident Curmudgeon

In the garage:

Isle of Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braymond141 View Post
Recaro Pole Positions >

Stock seats I'm feeling the tingles after 45mins. Recaro I'm good for four hours plus.
Recaro anything from my experience. And proper ones, not those OEM versions.
911 Journal/Build Thread
Sold - '13 WRB BRZ Limited 6MT
Sold - '03 Lemans on Lemans E39 M5 6MT
Sold - '99 Kosmos-Schwarzes E36 5MT M3 Coupe

Quote:
No fun no care
Jump to top TheSt|G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Apr-19-2017, 02:09:39 AM   #17
Jazzkat

In the garage:

United States

Great post Dr M3.

I am comfortable in the seats at 6'2", 275 bodybuilder and I wasn't even aware of all the adjustability. Good is going to be even better.

My entire family has all remarked on the comfort of the seats, but compared to a C5 maybe that is due to the elimination of pain...

I personally find my e46 M3 seats as comfortable as our E38, even on several hour drives.
Jump to top Jazzkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Apr-19-2017, 02:14:14 AM   #18
nasieg

In the garage:

United States

I switched to Recaro Sportster CS's, but comfort was the last reason not wanting stock seats. Never really found them not to be comfortable. Sorry.

FWIW, the Sportsters are the best looking seat and a nice blend of support and practicality. They come in many sports cars such as Audi RS4, Ford Focus RS and on and on. The biggest difference I notice with them is lateral support and feeling what the car does, but again, I would not say that they are more comfortable, but I supose that depends on the individual. I am just an inch or two taller than you, but quit a bit lighter and therefor more slender. Best thing is to try one out.

All that being said, I started to get serious back pain about 15 years ago, right when I switched from e36 to e46. Although I don't think it had anything to do with the car seats, at a certain point in life, chances are you are going to get back pain. And it often shows up while sitting. Maybe you need to address that and not the seats ;-)

My Journal

Besian VANOS, Euro Headers & Section1, TTFS tune, TMS under-dive pulleys, TC Kline S/A Coil Overs, Brembo 996 Calipers, ECS 2 Piece Rotors, Rally Road/P0lar Adapters, SS Brake Lines, Motul 600,Hawk HT-10 Pads, Braille Lightweight Battery, Hotchkis Sway Bars, SR2 CF Sunroof Panel,Apex ARC-8 & Sportline CS8's, Recaro Sportser CS Seats,SAP delete,Lightweight Cabin Filter Housing, SG CSL Diffuser, OEM CSL Trunk, Modified Stock Muffler
Jump to top nasieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Apr-19-2017, 01:34:14 PM   #19
Pahkthebeemah

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasieg View Post
I switched to Recaro Sportster CS's, but comfort was the last reason not wanting stock seats. Never really found them not to be comfortable. Sorry.

FWIW, the Sportsters are the best looking seat and a nice blend of support and practicality. They come in many sports cars such as Audi RS4, Ford Focus RS and on and on. The biggest difference I notice with them is lateral support and feeling what the car does, but again, I would not say that they are more comfortable, but I supose that depends on the individual. I am just an inch or two taller than you, but quit a bit lighter and therefor more slender. Best thing is to try one out.

All that being said, I started to get serious back pain about 15 years ago, right when I switched from e36 to e46. Although I don't think it had anything to do with the car seats, at a certain point in life, chances are you are going to get back pain. And it often shows up while sitting. Maybe you need to address that and not the seats ;-)
I want some sporsters cs seats in alcantera. glad to hear they are great overall comfort and performance. seems like there hasn't been much negative about them. closer and closer to selling my powered seats with only 37k miles on them.

seems like every other post is a vote for and against with a different opinion. wish I was on the side of the comfort votes....
12' Jeep Sport (gone)
13' BMW 335i MSport, Stock (gone...regret it)
13' Kia Rio (current daily driver)
03' BMW M3 SMG (pleasure only)
Jump to top Pahkthebeemah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Apr-19-2017, 01:48:47 PM   #20
SQ13

United States

Quote:
Installing aftermarket seats does not result in the loss of airbags. There are no airbags in the OE seats themselves. However, you would need a passenger occupancy sensor with aftermarket seats, or you will get the airbag light and passenger airbag will deploy in a collision, regardless of whether there is a passenger.