BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Tue, Apr-18-2017, 05:11:18 PM   #1
Graphic

United States

Default Seats killing my back!

I have a 06 M3 with pretty much all options including bolsters. I bought a $20 lumbar support pillow but these seats freaking suck! I'm 5'7" 184lbs and I'm in good shape.

I feel like the bottom cushion sits too low and there is now real support. I been messing with the lumbar support so much I hear the motor wearing out when pressing down on the pad.

I read somewhere someone created a fix by messing with the bottom seat cushion and clips coming off or something? I have looked all morning and I'm not able to find it.

I need a solution! If you guys had an actual fix or know of one please link me.

Just to be clear it's not how I sit and it's not any adjustment I make it's the seat. My oem Evo 9 seats dont give me this pain, my recarro pole positions don't hurt, my 328i seats don't hurt, neither do my civics.
Jump to top Graphic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Apr-18-2017, 06:17:10 PM   #2
Pahkthebeemah

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Seats killing my back!

there is a thread on here about this that got bumped up lol. I agree with you.. these seats aren't comfy at all for my body type. I'm 5'8 185lbs, an avid weight lifter and these just don't feel comfortable at all. something about the upper portion of the seat for me. pain all in my shoulders, traps, mid back. I'll be selling the two front seats and getting some better ones this summer.

(http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=554378)
12' Jeep Sport (gone)
13' BMW 335i MSport, Stock (gone...regret it)
13' Kia Rio (current daily driver)
03' BMW M3 SMG (pleasure only)
Jump to top Pahkthebeemah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Apr-18-2017, 06:46:14 PM   #3
SQ13

United States

Passengers have told me the M3 seats are the most comfortable car seats they've ever sat in. And those who have sat in my fixed-back seats think they're more comfortable than OE seats.

I'm about the same height as y'all but not the same weight anymore (injury), and I find fixed-back seats very comfortable. Just add a lumbar cushion, and you're good for long drives.
Old Tue, Apr-18-2017, 06:55:46 PM   #4
TheSt|G
Resident Curmudgeon

In the garage:

Isle of Man

I find all E46 seats to be pretty awful(comfort, sport, vert, M3, M3 vert).

Usually starts with my lower back falling asleep, and then eventually becomes pain(1hr+). Recaros eventually...
911 Journal/Build Thread
Sold - '13 WRB BRZ Limited 6MT
Sold - '03 Lemans on Lemans E39 M5 6MT
Sold - '99 Kosmos-Schwarzes E36 5MT M3 Coupe

Quote:
No fun no care
Jump to top TheSt|G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Apr-18-2017, 07:47:03 PM   #5
Braymond141

United States

Recaro Pole Positions >

Stock seats I'm feeling the tingles after 45mins. Recaro I'm good for four hours plus.
Jump to top Braymond141 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Apr-18-2017, 07:55:11 PM   #6
Dr M3an M3
Why does everyone think my name is Dan? lol

In the garage:

United States

Interesting. I find the power lumbar seats to be incredibly comfortable, personally. I have yet to get any sort of driver fatigue, even on long road trips. I often get complements from passengers on how comfortable the seats are and to date, my girlfriend has yet to complain (which is the true test lol). I'd like to think I have the power lumbar and all the seat adjustments dialed in.

A friend of mine has Recaros in his Fiesta ST, and while they provide more bolstering for twisty roads which is great, cruising for any point in time longer than 30-45min KILLS my back. Those seats are also sized for VERY slim people. I am 5'11, 200lbs and in fit shape, and any larger than myself, and you wouldn't fit in those seats. Those are the factory seats in his car, and I have zero wiggle room in them. No idea how bigger guys sit in them.

Mods: Maintenance, WPC treated rod-bearings, VinceBar (weld) + Redish Plates, Full Beisan VANOS 'lockdown', Supersprint V1 Stepped headers w/ Oversized Section 1, RE El Diablo Muffler , BBS LMs w/ PSS, Streamline CSL Bumper, CSL style CF diffuser, Vorsteiner CF CSL Bootlid, KW V3 Coilovers, Angel-eyes, CSL SMG Engine DME tune, CSL '255' SMG DME tune, CSL Dynamic Redline Warmup Light parameters.
Upcoming Group-Buys (PM if Interested): OE CSL Bootlids, CSL Bumper, OE CSL Wheels, Supersprint Headers MEGA thread, CSL Airbox...others in the works.
Please PM me - In search of:
-- Street DD friendly Camber Plates compatible with KW V3 Coilovers
-- Wanting to Trade basically brand new Eagle Eye Smoked Reverse Trunk Lights for a pair that are Non-smoked
Jump to top Dr M3an M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Apr-18-2017, 08:02:06 PM   #7
SunD3v1L
hi

In the garage:

Italy

I fkn love my e46 M3 heated lumbar seats, very comfortable.

Drove daily in them for the last 6 years, including a 2,300 mile across the country trip in them..

I guess everyone's different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Tue, Apr-18-2017, 08:59:19 PM   #8
m3nt0s

In the garage:

United States

Weirdly I find my driver's seat very comfortable, and the cushioning is quite well worn in, even at 6+ hours of driving. The passenger seat on the other hand is unbearable for me.
Jump to top m3nt0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Apr-18-2017, 09:12:04 PM   #9
Graphic

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr M3an M3 View Post
Interesting. I find the power lumbar seats to be incredibly comfortable, personally. I have yet to get any sort of driver fatigue, even on long road trips. I often get complements from passengers on how comfortable the seats are and to date, my girlfriend has yet to complain (which is the true test lol). I'd like to think I have the power lumbar and all the seat adjustments dialed in.

A friend of mine has Recaros in his Fiesta ST, and while they provide more bolstering for twisty roads which is great, cruising for any point in time longer than 30-45min KILLS my back. Those seats are also sized for VERY slim people. I am 5'11, 200lbs and in fit shape, and any larger than myself, and you wouldn't fit in those seats. Those are the factory seats in his car, and I have zero wiggle room in them. No idea how bigger guys sit in them.

Think about it. I'm 5'7" at 185lbs. I have a fairly stocky frame. It's not the width that's an issue. It's that the bulster seems to not provide any support from my lower hips all the way to the mid of my small back.

I read somewhere someone fixed this by taking the seat apart and replacing the cushion. I feel that the cushion makes me sit WAY to low in the seat.

Anyone know where I can find this article. I been looking today but I haven't been successful. I found it once 5 months ago

To the people recommending pole positions. I have a set in my evo they're phenomenal. I want to retain my air bags for safety and be able to move the seats for passengers and for me to grab stuff out of the back. This car is my daily.
Jump to top Graphic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Apr-18-2017, 09:43:46 PM   #10
WyattH

In the garage:

United States

I find the premium lumbar optional seats comfortable and supportive for both spirited driving and road trips. Id never remove mine. The standard seats are a bit weaker in both regards, and I could see some people swapping those out.

Dinan | CSL | RAC | TCK | Brembo | \\\WyattH's Journal
Jump to top WyattH is offline   Reply With Quote