BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Tue, Apr-18-2017, 10:23:45 PM   #21
Brian N
The Collector

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Vehicle Coatings Opticoat, Gyeon, C Quarts Finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyattH View Post
^ Agreed. I'm happy with Ceramic Pro and my installer's work but I consider all coatings to be a long lasting sealant/wax. I'd never consider them to be a one time thing. Maintain it properly and it should last, and get it touched up every year for ultimate protection/duration.
Yup! Agree with you on that one. Lots of people think this is a one a done type of thing. Unfortunately like most things in life it isn't that easy haha. You must have a regimen for taking care of the paint.

I would say plan to reapply the base coating every 3-4 years on the longer end of the scale. Personally I go every around 2 on my M3. Around that time it has accumulated light swirling and is a good time for a light polish and recoat. I also do a monthly topper with something like "Overcoat" or Carpro Reload etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr M3an M3 View Post
So foam gun and leaf-blower/air compressor gun! But even then, if you drive your car the dust and sand in the air will eventually do its damage. It's like the war on drugs, you can minimize the damages, but ultimately you will never win.

I guess you could always clear wrap your car after a paint correction. Although, I have been told they don't actually prevent chips. Often it just holds the paint in place, until the wrap is removed, then the chip marks appear. It should prevent swirls though.

There is a local guy with an M5 who had his car ceramic coated, clear-bra'd, then ceramic coated on top of the clear bra. Probably over kill, but his car always looks great.
Yeah I have a foam gun but am looking into upgrading to a foam canon and DI water setup along with a blower. Pretty much the less you touch the paint the better. You are right though it's an unending battle

I do plan on getting some clearbra as well. I have seen it prevent some chips on my friends front end. So I have been impressed by the current technology so far. This again is something that you must replace every 4-5 years that people think lasts forever. My main driving force for the clearbra is that the CSL bumpers are more prone to chipping than the OE plastic and it drives me nuts. I'll most likely only coat on top of the clearbra as sometimes coating underneath effects adhesion properties of the film.

-My Journal-

Last edited by Brian N; Tue, Apr-18-2017 at 10:50:04 PM.
Jump to top Brian N is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Apr-18-2017, 11:08:24 PM   #22
SeattleLSB

United States

Most of these places locally want over $1k for the coating and $1k for the swirl removal so for a total of $2k for the work. It's hard for me to justify the price but my LSB is pretty swirled from poor wash techniques from the previous owner.

2003 AW/BLK 330XI>AT>Winter Beater

2003 LSB/Blk M3>6SP>Slicktop - Sold
Jump to top SeattleLSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Apr-19-2017, 12:00:20 AM   #23
delvin
Water Champion

United States

Seems outrageous, I paid significantly less ($800) for a 2-stage correction and coating.
Old Wed, Apr-19-2017, 12:32:04 AM   #24
WyattH

In the garage:

United States

I paid about $1K for the paint correction and Ceramic Pro (9H + Light), including interior trim. In Walnut Creek CA. Definitely worth it. I also wish I had a driveway and a foam gun instead of a condo parking garage.

Dinan | CSL | RAC | TCK | Brembo | \\\WyattH's Journal
Jump to top WyattH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Apr-19-2017, 12:48:02 AM   #25
Joshe46

In the garage:

United States

I have ceramic pro 9H on my Work meisters applied by myself. So far( only been mounted for a couple days) but the water beading/ repelling is jaw dropping and considering they are white faces I'm guessing it keeps them considerably cleaner from grime and it makes it much easier to clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jump to top Joshe46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Apr-19-2017, 12:56:32 AM   #26
Brian N
The Collector

In the garage:

United States

Yeah prices and quality of detailing and coating jobs can vary pretty wildly. I chose instead to pick the hobby up instead of paying someone. For a while it also my side business. For the price of one good detail and coating job you can stock up on most of the gear you need. Just go to a body shop and get a test panel to practice on and watch some of the many videos available online. Honestly it really isn't all that complicated or hard to learn. Detailing is just a lot of time, work, and patience.

-My Journal-
Jump to top Brian N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Apr-20-2017, 02:43:12 PM   #27
sergbaja5t
Uncle Grandpa

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr M3an M3 View Post
So foam gun and leaf-blower/air compressor gun!
Are you being sarcastic? lol I thought I was being obsessive!!!!!!
I use the Torq foam cannon, double bucket, backpack blower wash!!!!
2002 StahlGrau MET/Schwarz M3 6spd AA headers, Supersprint x-pipe, AA Gen 4 sec3, Besian hub and seals, Turbotoy hardware, Rouge Engineering Vanos & Coolant pipe, Arp studded, H&R/ST/Bilstein coilovers, M220 19's. S54 timing tool w/ two guide pins**FOR RENT** Atlanta valve adjustment service(ask about rates)! Simple coding & DME scanning (Atlanta area)
Jump to top sergbaja5t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Apr-20-2017, 04:09:04 PM   #28
rovert604

Canada

Default Vehicle Coatings Opticoat, Gyeon, C Quarts Finest

I've been using cQuartz on my car for two years now and using reload to top up the coating every once and a while. More so when it's warm out and I can clean and dry the car. Every six months I've sprayed on IronX to decontaminate and today the finish is still super smooth as if it's been clay bared.

I drive the vehicle year round which means through snow and salt. The car is parked outside in the elements 95% of the year and I put on average just over 20K miles every year of which 70% is suburb/highway miles. This winter has been harsh as we got a lot of snow in the Vancouver area so the car got maybe two hand washes during the five months of winter snow/rain. The rest were just pressure washes to rinse it off.

Here is a picture of the back after reload and IronX application last week when it was sunny and even bees love it for the smooth warm finish. Haha...

There is some slight spiderwebbing starting to happen from this winter. The finish has no swirls though. I'm finding the water doesn't bead up on the surface as like it did before this winter but it is still on there and protecting. Here is a picture of the car clean after a rainfall:

You can see the difference in beading from using Aquapel on the windows vs the paint finish. But after a drive of two highway exits the car is dry which says the water still slide off quickly due to a very smooth surface.

My whole frontal area, hood, front fenders, bumper, headlight lens, foglight lens are wrapped in self healing XPEL Ultimate which has been bulletproof through the many highway miles I've put on the car. The front end has seen plenty of highspeed impacts from sand, pebbles, gravel, tree branches, and even sod falling off the back of a truck at highway speed. Two years later the front end looks the same as it was freshly corrected with zero dents or chips.

After driving through a rain storm there is a bit of dirty below but the smoothness of the full frontal hood coverage is always perfect which I love because the car stays clean looking for a pretty long time. The amount of money put into the car detailed like this has all but come back in the productivity of work and making money. Not that I hate detailing the car as it's something I totally love and don't find it a chore.

Last edited by rovert604; Thu, Apr-20-2017 at 04:21:03 PM.
Jump to top rovert604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Apr-20-2017, 05:35:44 PM   #29
BearDeXPS

In the garage:

United States

OP this is a heck of a long discussion with a lot of questions you have to ask yourself... it comes down to what kind of person you think you are?

Fortunately you've got LSB... I don't think you can go wrong with any of the coatings listed. OptiCoat Pro+ could be added to the list as well.

Something that isn't being noted in here is color of the car. Regarding the ceramic coating arena I'm not a big fan of manufacturers promoting false claim (:cough: :cough: CeramicPro) around anti-scratch, swirl, or mirco marring claims. Regardless of paint color... they all will still get this - some worse then others. Alpine White is awesome at hiding these flaws... Jet Black (what I've got ) is terrible... you see everything. I understand your LSB is about right in the middle of these two extremes.

I've got Modesta on my car and it's been fantastic... stays cleaner longer, hydrophobic effects are incredible, glass is very wet, maintenance wash and dry is much quicker... and it's been on the car for almost 3+ yrs with zero perceivable degradation.

Like PPF, it all comes down to the installer. If they're good... the coating will be good too. But everyone as their bad days. IMHO if you've got the time; I would just learn how to correct paint yourself, buy all your own stuff, and do it yourself. I wish I would have done this earlier... vehicle detailing maintenance is by far my favorite hobby.

I'm a big fan of systems that work in harmony... CarPro has quickly become my favorite all around detailing product line up + Corey here in the states is one of the most honest genuine people I've ever met with products that just work. For those reason alone along with many more... I would go with CQuartz and plan to do this in the future.

Going back to scratching/micro-marring you need to think about maintenance. The first time you pick the car up it will look amazing... but long term these ceramic coating system have very specific processes to maintenance that are very different to your standard sealant/wax.

Shampoo has to be specific - most pH neutral shampoos out there are poly based or have gloss additives that do not play nice with a SiO2. You can get away using them for maintenance washes but you'll want to every once in a while (think every 3rd wash) use CarPro's Reset shampoo.

Again, scratches/micro-marring/etc - it's going to happen. CarPro recently released EssencePLUS that can fill these imperfections. It's not magic but certainly makes a big difference. This is kinda like how wax is traditionally used as a filler to clear coat... but wax is only temporary while EssencePLUS is semi-permanent. EssencePLUS is designed to work with CQuartz and works excellent... I used it with my Modesta but the two don't work perfectly together. I like systems that work.

This next point goes back to what kind of person you are... do you like going section by section waxing and buffing your paint? If so, obviously ceramic coating is not for you. You will every 3-6months want to add a specific sealant to return some gloss, protection, hydrophobic properties... again CarPro has a spray sealant Reload that amazing at this.

Detail sprays, quick waxes, etc - again these coatings need specific products or else you'll loose gloss, water beading, and start to see clouding. And again, CarPro (and Shine Supply) are about the only companies that supply a decent product - CarPro recently release EcH20 and this is about my most used product I have in the cabinet. Great stuff!

Personally, I like ceramic coatings. For the obvious reasons already listed... but mainly because it's like an extension of our already thin clear coat. You've only got so much clear coat you can correct until it's GONE and you need a full respray... therefore ceramic coatings protection to that asset is second to none.

I've recently posted several posts in my Journal showing maintenance of my coating... feel free to check it out

'05 BMW ///M3 JB/Blk My Journal
Dinan | Rogue Engineering | Status Gruppe Tuning | H&R | Koni | 3M | Umnitza | Turner Motorsport | TeKarbon | Coby | aFe | Bimmerworld | Schroth
Lang Racing Stg. 2 | SuperTech | ARP | Radium Engineering | Aeromotive | Dimple | Brembo | Racing Brake | Motul | Mishimoto | Redish | C&R
EVOsport | Michelin | Beisan | Macht Schnell | Lamin-X | AKG | BSW | Eurosport Design | Mason Engineering | Vibra-Tech | evolve-R

Last edited by BearDeXPS; Thu, Apr-20-2017 at 05:40:40 PM.
Jump to top BearDeXPS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Apr-20-2017, 07:21:32 PM   #30
albino09
A Yankee South of the Mason-Dixon

In the garage:

United States

It seems like many of you are well into using these types of products. Detailing, Waxing, Coating, etc...

Would any of you be willing to write up a DIY on how to do this? I hear a lot of products and names thrown around but the processes themselves are very alien to me. Either that, or you could refer myself (and others curious) to a good post on one of those professional detailing forums already mentioned.

2002 Laguna Seca Blue/Dove Grey...Journal
Jump to top albino09 is offline   Reply With Quote