BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Fri, Apr-14-2017, 10:51:47 PM   #1
UDPride

United States

Default Interior LED conversion: Interior Lights Now Dont Work Nor Driver Taillight

Its a 1997 M3 Sedan.

Did the ECS Tuning LED interior light conversion today. Things were going great. As I kept replacing bulbs with LEDs I was getting LED greatness in all its glory. Just one bulb left -- trunk bulb. Pulled down trunk light harness, fidgeting the new LED bulb in -- got light -- but before I was all done and snapped the harness back into the trunk, I lost light on the LED bulb.

Thought okay maybe I had polarity wrong. Nope.

Turns out ALL my interior lights stopped working. Not just a timer issue with the doors open. I dealt with that a few times as I was installing LEDs today and re-shut the doors and-reopened and got my interior lights again.

But now nothing I do will turn the interior lights on. The manual interior map lights WILL work both front and rear however.

Also at the SAME time, I got a left TAILLIGHT FAILURE on the OBC. Never got this before. I replaced the passenger side taillight last week w/o a problem.

So I swapped the good bulbs in the pass with the supposed questionable ones in the driver -- didnt work. Put supposed bad drivers ones in passenger side -- didnt work.

So good AND bad bulbs fail on drivers side taillight. Wiring harness secured fine. Have not touched driver taillight assembly. The problem is the driver tail light. The driver brake light works, as well as the white backup light. Just no nighttime running taillight on left. Again however, putting a good bulb and good bulb harness from pass side didnt fix issue. There are really no moving parts on a taillight assembly, but the fact that the good bulbs on the pass side dont work on the drivers side is a headscratcher.

I think all of this is related. I had a spare fuse in the fuse box so I swapped out the fuse for Interior Compartment and Luggage Compartment, but the problem did not get better.

This is all very very strange. I was literally 99% done with this upgrade when the SHTF. Never fails. Im out of ideas. I bet its something simple?
2006 CAYMAN S | 45K mi | Guards | Tweaked but Daily Driven

Front Engined! Mid-Engined! Rear-Engined!
There Is No Substitute for the Ultimate Driving Machine.
Jump to top UDPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, Apr-14-2017, 11:54:35 PM   #2
UDPride

United States

Default Re: Interior LED conversion: Interior Lights Now Dont Work Nor Driver Taillight

Solved! I threw a fuse and unfortunately the BMW fuse box schematic is worth about two titties so I was messing w/the wrong fuse. Once I isolated the correct one (#33) and swapped it out with a good spare from lid, it solved my interior LEDs, trunk LED, and ALSO corrected the error with my left taillight running light. What that fuse does the interior lights and only the drivers tailllight, I have no idea. Odd, but thats the reality.

Make a mental note on fuse #33 if you run into the same issues. #33 is on the bank at the very left of the box, counting from #31 at the bottom to #46 I think at the top.

Good upgrade. Just hope I dont fry another fuse. Not sure why I would since the LEDs draw so little current and have canbus.

Old Sat, Apr-15-2017, 10:11:32 AM   #3
John Firestone

Germany

Default Re: Interior LED conversion: Interior Lights Now Dont Work Nor Driver Taillight

Quote:
Originally Posted by UDPride View Post
... Pulled down trunk light harness, fidgeting the new LED bulb in -- got light -- but before I was all done and snapped the harness back into the trunk, I lost light on the LED bulb....
I bet you grazed the trunk lid with one of the electrically-live metal strips of the bulb holder, as you re-installed it. I must have done that as the last step of retrofitting a 15-minute timer between the trunk light and switch. Only, nooooo, I did not blow the fuse with the short: I managed to blow up a MOSFET in the timer – when I removed the short and the MOSFET suddenly reassumed the load.

I like to disconnect the battery before making electrical mods.

Last edited by John Firestone; Sat, Apr-15-2017 at 12:17:50 PM.
Jump to top John Firestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Apr-15-2017, 07:27:39 PM   #4
UDPride

United States

I thought maybe I had touched some metal too, but the LED bulb stopped working while the trunk light assembly was still hanging down and unattached to the trunk underside. In theory in "mid air". Maybe I mistakenly touched something somewhere else and that blew the fuse.

Still dont quite understand why that fuse handles all interior lights AND the left driver's tail light bulb ONLY. Not the driver's brake light, nor the driver's backup light, or fog light, just the nighttime taillight. And no passenger rear lights affected. Were it not for this I probably would have troubleshooted the fuse box first, but I spent most of my time in the beginning figuring why my drivers taillight wasnt working - flipping bulbs driver/pass to find the problem. And of course since it was (unbeknownst) a fuse related to the interior lights, all my efforts were to no avail and I was wasting my time. That's when I thought I better swap a fuse or two. I was actually a bit surprised when that ended up being the solution. Thought it was something more serious -- perhaps harness related or frayed wiring somewhere.

Old Sat, Apr-15-2017, 08:04:52 PM   #5
Braymond141

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by UDPride View Post
I thought maybe I had touched some metal too, but the LED bulb stopped working while the trunk light assembly was still hanging down and unattached to the trunk underside. In theory in "mid air". Maybe I mistakenly touched something somewhere else and that blew the fuse.
Like most all aged E36 trunk lid harnesses, yours is probably damaged. This is why BMW has this kit available; https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...t/61128391788/

You disturbed the wires which resulted in them shorting.
Jump to top Braymond141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Apr-16-2017, 12:27:01 AM   #6
UDPride

United States

Would just seem odd that a trunk wiring harness would cause that when the trunk was not moving, being stressed, wires being rubbed or stretched. The trunk was up in the resting position for several minutes. Never had interior lighting go AWOL prior to this. Not completely ruling it out, but when my SHTF I was pretty isolated in what I was doing and touching. Ill take a look at my trunk harness this weekend.

Old Sun, Apr-16-2017, 11:42:17 AM   #7
John Firestone

Germany

I would not be surprised if the trunk wiring were implicated in this: failed or failing wiring can do a lot of odd things. You are writing about a 20-year old car with a 100 000 km (60 000 mile) design life!
Jump to top John Firestone is offline   Reply With Quote