BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Wed, Apr-19-2017, 06:00:24 PM   #41
LateBraking

United States

Default Re: What seats to upgrade to for Daily Driver?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
Since any seats I get will need to be reupholstered anyway, I'm just going to have them add an indent for the 3 point belt receiver if I go the SPG XL route.

ala:

There's also always the option of just pulling the cover off, reducing the foam in the area where the receptacle goes, then putting the cover back on. Like the older gen GT2 seats did. That's if you don't need re-upholstering.

Like so:

Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Apr-19-2017, 06:28:46 PM   #42
BTB

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew M View Post
If you'd like me to put you in touch with the owner of Livery, let me know! He's a good buddy of mine. I really loved those wheels, but have an issue running the same set for more than 2 years.
Dang that's awesome, I'd appreciate that if you don't mind. Coincidentally I messaged them at sales@liverywheel earlier today, idk if he sees those emails. Not sure when I'll be able to afford them to be honest but hopefully in the nearish future lol

Doesn't hurt to get a quote I suppose, though I don't want to give the impression I'm able to buy rn

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateBraking View Post
I haven't read through the entire thread so sorry if my recommendations have been asked and answered, but as a guy who has both owned and tried a few different seats:
I currently own a Profi XL, with one on it's way to my house to be delivered Friday, and another one on order. Three Profi XLs total. Love em. It's my go-to seat. For strictly daily driving and zero track time ever, I would consider the Sportster CS first and foremost, although I am putting the Profi XL in a completely daily driven car myself. They're comfortable for me and help with my back problems (I have a bulged disk in my upper back and sciatica problems and it holds me in a good posture position).
Good to hear someone enjoys dailying the SPG XL. I think that's the way I gotta go. On a mostly unrelated note, I once drove a 996 GT2. The seats are one thing, but holy s*** those cars are raw

Quote:
Since any seats I get will need to be reupholstered anyway, I'm just going to have them add an indent for the 3 point belt receiver if I go the SPG XL route.

ala:

...the new Porsche carbon buckets are

I think I'd do the same, get the SPG XL and see how it is, then when wrapping it in leather maybe modify the seatbelt area

Last edited by BTB; Wed, Apr-19-2017 at 06:40:52 PM.
Jump to top BTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Apr-19-2017, 06:32:04 PM   #43
TheSt|G
Resident Curmudgeon

In the garage:

Isle of Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew M View Post
It's better than your trolling skills.
I'll give you about tree fiddy for it.
911 Journal/Build Thread
Sold - '13 WRB BRZ Limited 6MT
Sold - '03 Lemans on Lemans E39 M5 6MT
Sold - '99 Kosmos-Schwarzes E36 5MT M3 Coupe

Quote:
No fun no care
Jump to top TheSt|G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Apr-19-2017, 08:16:28 PM   #44
delvin
Water Champion

United States

So what mounting solution for fixed back seats are you tall guys using? 6'5" 195 I'd want it as low as possible
Old Wed, Apr-19-2017, 08:36:13 PM   #45
LateBraking

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by delvin View Post
So what mounting solution for fixed back seats are you tall guys using? 6'5" 195 I'd want it as low as possible
I haven't tried it yet, but if you don't care about sliders, I would use Brey Krause. They look as low as I've ever seen. I have a set sitting at home waiting to go in once I have time to install.

Then next is to get Macht Schnell/VAC floor mounts and directly bolt the seat with side mounts to the floor mounts.

Then next is probably VAC floor mounts, with sliders, and using VAC's aftermarket receptacles, and coding the receptacle out.

Finally, tallest is Macht Schnell floor mounts with sliders and their hybrid receptacle brackets and re-using OEM receptacle, which is probably the safest but tallest.
Old Wed, Apr-19-2017, 08:59:23 PM   #46
twentyseven

United States

Quote:
I haven't tried it yet, but if you don't care about sliders, I would use Brey Krause. They look as low as I've ever seen. I have a set sitting at home waiting to go in once I have time to install.

Then next is to get Macht Schnell/VAC floor mounts and directly bolt the seat with side mounts to the floor mounts.

Then next is probably VAC floor mounts, with sliders, and using VAC's aftermarket receptacles, and coding the receptacle out.

Finally, tallest is Macht Schnell floor mounts with sliders and their hybrid receptacle brackets and re-using OEM receptacle, which is probably the safest but tallest.
Wouldn't recommend any of those for the fact they have an obnoxious number of holes, and worse, have their logos etched.

Motion Motorsports offers a better mounting system, and it looks cleaner.

'99 Estoril Blue + Dove Grey ///M3 coupe
Technique Tuning Stage 1 Turbo, TCK DA, Rallyroad Brembo BBK, Recaro SRD, ZF 6spd, BMW Traffic Pro 4771, ZKW FX-R
Jump to top twentyseven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Apr-19-2017, 09:11:47 PM   #47
delvin
Water Champion

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by twentyseven View Post
Wouldn't recommend any of those for the fact they have an obnoxious number of holes, and worse, have their logos etched.

Their mount does seem great with that keyed set up. I really only need sliders on the passenger side I suppose. It would be great to have the ability to tilt the drivers forward, anybody doing that?

EDIT: Will any fixed back seat require one of these awful looking floor mounts?

Last edited by delvin; Wed, Apr-19-2017 at 09:17:23 PM.
Jump to top delvin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Apr-19-2017, 09:30:35 PM   #48
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

Quote:

Brey Krause had a mount coming out soon to attach aftermarket seats to the factory BMW power or manual sliders.

Already shipping on the e9X and F8X, e46 version in production now.

e9X/F8X version: https://www.bkauto.com/R_9280_Seat_M...s_p/r-9280.htm

That said, anything with sliders will be higher than the direct to floor mount. But, still significantly lower than stock!

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, Wife's 6mt NA RWD e91, 04 M3 wagon
Past cars: 04 M3, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Apr-19-2017, 09:31:01 PM   #49
LateBraking

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by twentyseven View Post

Does the Motion Motorsports fit Recaro Profi XL? looking at the way it comes in from the base, I would be a little worried about that, otherwise, those look good too. Certainly a option for regular Pole Positions and the like.

I liked the idea of the Brey Krause because floor mounts are not needed. Gets me as low as I need. But honestly, all sorts of options and all sorts of opinions, and I hardly claim my solutions to be THE solutions. Just rattling stuff off that I've tried.
Old Wed, Apr-19-2017, 10:19:35 PM   #50
delvin
Water Champion

United States

Quote:
Brey Krause had a mount coming out soon to attach aftermarket seats to the factory BMW power or manual sliders.

Already shipping on the e9X and F8X, e46 version in production now.

e9X/F8X version: https://www.bkauto.com/R_9280_Seat_M...s_p/r-9280.htm

That said, anything with sliders will be higher than the direct to floor mount. But, still significantly lower than stock!

That is exactly what I'd want. The only way it could be better is if it tilted forward somehow, I'm not holding my breath for that.