BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Sat, Apr-01-2017, 10:42:54 PM   #1
Jared1913

United States

Default Help needed stalling issues and rough idle

So I took my 1998 bmw m3 to the car wash to clean under the hood I used some degreaser covered my cold air intake, my alternator and a few electrical wires. Sprayed it down with the power washer and she started up no problem pulled out and went to the vaccum station. I dried the engine bay and used the gunk shine stuff and went to pull away and car started idling rough and then stalled out did this anytime I had to stop. So I took it home cleaned the MAF, checked the spark plugs no water, cleaned the throttle body, and wiped down any connectors I could see but no change. When the car does feel like running for a few mins while idling I can hear a sucking air noise. It will idle for maybe 3mins at most then shut off. When I drive it I have a huge loss of acceleration and anytime I have to stop it's done for. Really need help don't know what I could of done to cause this big of an issue. PS the check engine light is on I haven't took it to get it checked because it is so hard to drive anywhere with it constantly stalling I feel like I'm going to break something else.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
Jump to top Jared1913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sat, Apr-01-2017, 11:07:07 PM   #2
betrezra

United States

Default Re: Help needed stalling issues and rough idle

A few ideas:
1. perhaps you knocked a hose loose, the hose under the air intake connected to the TB might have come off. This is after the MAS before the TB.
2. if the intake hose and/or vac hoses are old brittle.... you may have cracked one leaving a massive vac leak.
3. run a code scanner...... will help immensly.
4. dep on codes.... you might have water in something that should not get water..... hopefully not fuse box........ If it will run I'd let it idle and hopefully you will evap your water problem.

GL.
Old Sat, Apr-01-2017, 11:41:17 PM   #3
Jared1913

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by betrezra View Post
A few ideas:
1. perhaps you knocked a hose loose, the hose under the air intake connected to the TB might have come off. This is after the MAS before the TB.
2. if the intake hose and/or vac hoses are old brittle.... you may have cracked one leaving a massive vac leak.
3. run a code scanner...... will help immensly.
4. dep on codes.... you might have water in something that should not get water..... hopefully not fuse box........ If it will run I'd let it idle and hopefully you will evap your water problem.

GL.
Appreciate the response. I checked the hose it seems secure. I wish I could let it run at idle but it just won't shuts off everytime. I did run it for about 40 mins driving it around hoping that would dry out any water but no luck. I'm thinking that maybe a knocked somethinf lose like u said but I was far from it when I was spraying idk just makes me mad Cuz I watched like 7 or 8 videos on how to wash ur engine because I was nervous about it and my worst fear came true

Old Sat, Apr-01-2017, 11:42:56 PM   #4
Jared1913

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared1913 View Post
Appreciate the response. I checked the hose it seems secure. I wish I could let it run at idle but it just won't shuts off everytime. I did run it for about 40 mins driving it around hoping that would dry out any water but no luck. I'm thinking that maybe a knocked somethinf lose like u said but I was far from it when I was spraying idk just makes me mad Cuz I watched like 7 or 8 videos on how to wash ur engine because I was nervous about it and my worst fear came true

Oh and checked fuse box already it's dry

Old Sat, Apr-01-2017, 11:56:12 PM   #5
Jared1913

United States

Okay so new development it started up and idled normal for about 2 mins then went back to doing the same thing again for about 4 mins then shut off is this a sign that maybe it's just working water out?

Old Sun, Apr-02-2017, 12:41:37 AM   #6
englishtom1596q

In the garage:

United States

You must have knocked a hose off while power washing. As posted above that line can cause a massive vacuum leak like you're experiencing. There's also the line from the valve cover to the oil separator. Maybe have someone hold the gas while you listen for the "sucking" noise because I guarantee that's what you're dealing with
Old Sun, Apr-02-2017, 01:04:01 AM   #7
Jared1913

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishtom1596q View Post
You must have knocked a hose off while power washing. As posted above that line can cause a massive vacuum leak like you're experiencing. There's also the line from the valve cover to the oil separator. Maybe have someone hold the gas while you listen for the "sucking" noise because I guarantee that's what you're dealing with
Yea the noise is coming from the under the manifold but I only hear it when it's idling not when pushing rpms above 600 it's just there are so many hoses under there I have no idea what one it could be I don't see any glaring disconnected or loose ones. To me it would have to be the one that splits from the intake because that's ur idling air right?

Old Sun, Apr-02-2017, 01:33:55 AM   #8
betrezra

United States

Just about any vacuum hose under the intake mani can cause sucking noise, and idle probs.

I've read you can spray something around the hoses and see if the idle changes. Have to chime in on what to spray.

I would start with the big hoses:
1. Check the clamps on the main air intake rubber hose from air filter to Mass Air Meter to Throttle Body. You can have a split in the rubber elbow that will not be readily visible...... squeeze it and see if there is a split or crack. Is it OLD?

2. Did you get water in your Mass Air Meter? If you did the filament could be bad.

3. Did you get water in your alternator? are you getting good voltage when running? measure to see if v rises when car is started. should be 13+ volts. I've seen an alt die after a water douse.

4. Did you get water into the computer psg side firewall area? Hopefully you did not get carried away and you avoided this area.

5. Did you soak the air filter with water? Could be choking air flow.

6. Is there water filled up in the spark plug holes?

7. Please scan codes... please do this and report back. It is super easy. using a $15 part for OBDII reader.......

8. Is oil cap seal still there?

GL.......
Old Sun, Apr-02-2017, 01:50:10 AM   #9
Jared1913

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by betrezra View Post
Just about any vacuum hose under the intake mani can cause sucking noise, and idle probs.

I've read you can spray something around the hoses and see if the idle changes. Have to chime in on what to spray.

I would start with the big hoses:
1. Check the clamps on the main air intake rubber hose from air filter to Mass Air Meter to Throttle Body. You can have a split in the rubber elbow that will not be readily visible...... squeeze it and see if there is a split or crack. Is it OLD?

2. Did you get water in your Mass Air Meter? If you did the filament could be bad.

3. Did you get water in your alternator? are you getting good voltage when running? measure to see if v rises when car is started. should be 13+ volts. I've seen an alt die after a water douse.

4. Did you get water into the computer psg side firewall area? Hopefully you did not get carried away and you avoided this area.

5. Did you soak the air filter with water? Could be choking air flow.

6. Is there water filled up in the spark plug holes?

7. Please scan codes... please do this and report back. It is super easy. using a $15 part for OBDII reader.......

8. Is oil cap seal still there?

GL.......
Okay I will go over those steps tomorrow I'm gunna tear the car apart so I can get to the hoses easier and check everyone. I ordered a obdi reader should be here tomorrow I will scan codes and let you guys know what I get. Just to let u know I covered the alternator and intake before washing so those should be safe. As far as the computer I'm not sure I know where that is located hopefully I didn't hit that

Old Mon, Apr-03-2017, 12:43:25 AM   #10
Jared1913

United States

So I got the scanner and ran it. These are the codes I got
P0443- EVAP canister purge valve circuit.
P0101- MAF air flow low air input.
P0451-EVAP pressure sensor range performance problem.
P0121-throttle position sensor/ APP sensor performance problem.
P1765-CAN throttle valve.
So what do u guys think? Could a vaccum leak cause all of these or could it be something else? I understand the codes but don't know where to start