BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Sun, Apr-09-2017, 11:32:25 AM   #41
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: S65 Swap into E86 (Similar to E46)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloTheGod View Post
I will be going with the Syvecs 6Plus ECU actually and it's only a few grand new which is not bad at all for this level of standalone. It will make this swap more plug and play

Damn it.

Well, that'll certainly make the swap easier!

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, Wife's 6mt NA RWD e91, 04 M3 wagon
Past cars: 04 M3, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, Apr-10-2017, 03:05:22 AM   #42
ApolloTheGod

United States

UPDATE

As mentioned before I have a gorgeous S65 sitting in my garage now. When I was speaking to a few professionals about doing the electronics they suggested I get a used motor as it would not be wise to have to sort out drivability and electronics issues on a brand new stroked and supercharged motor that is untuned. I did not think of this so this is a big reason why this used and assembled S65 is here today. I also want to make Bimmerfest West. Like I said before as well, I want to keep you guys entertained and no one wants to wait months until something cool happens

If anyone is curious about any measurements on the S65 please let me know so that I can do them while the motor is still out of the car.

Enjoy a few glamour shots of the new bae

Here we have the DCT trans and S65 playing Tetris while we got the car in it's swap spot. The beer in the background was planned to be consumed but instead we chose to get much further. Of course we found motivation and went in to almost get the motor out but stopped for the night to pull it out in the morning. Beer was then consumed eventually

The motor tilted on the way out and I found out then at that moment there was also a large hole on the passenger side too

Here is the S54 in question

Some shots of the damage. I'm still deciding if I even want to pull the bottom end...

If any of you have ever done swaps in a confined space you'll know the need to get the car rolling again to get the work space cleaned up. Maybe it's OCD And yes, trans is still in the car because I want to see how the S65 fits with a trans in the car. The DCT is too heavy to work with easily so it's much easier to leave the 6 speed in for now just to see how far back the motor can go.

Cleaning things up...

Lot's of M pride around here...

It's like like that one special moment right before things get feeling intense...

Closing up shop for the night. More to come tomorrow.

2011 Space Gray + Fox Red ///M3 Coupe
ESS VT2-650 SC, Bilstein PSS10 Coilovers, AP Racing BBK, Recaro Seats, Carbon Fiber Roof, GTS DCT Tune
Jump to top ApolloTheGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Apr-10-2017, 03:09:19 AM   #43
bimmerfan08

In the garage:

United States

I might have missed it but are you going to do rod bearings and clean up the S65 before installing?
But what I see daily are typical German car colors; blacks, silvers, grays and whites. They look nice, I agree, but to me the appeal is what the M cars were in the 1980s an event. Its not so much that I want to be noticed, but more that I want to stand apart from the crowd. And to me, Phoenix Yellow and Laguna Seca Blue are two of the best ways to differentiate your M3 experience from the norm.
Jump to top bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Apr-10-2017, 03:17:51 AM   #44
ApolloTheGod

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
I might have missed it but are you going to do rod bearings and clean up the S65 before installing?
I'll send off an oil sample but I don't think I can justify spending hundreds of dollars on S65 rod bearings when the motor is only going to be in for a few months. I'll pull a car fax on the VIN it came from and see if the bearing recall was done. I have a feeling it probably was.

Maybe I'm still a little upset over my last rod bearing job blowing up in my face... literally...

ESS VT2-650 SC, Bilstein PSS10 Coilovers, AP Racing BBK, Recaro Seats, Carbon Fiber Roof, GTS DCT Tune
Old Mon, Apr-10-2017, 10:33:19 AM   #45
EnVe46

In the garage:

United States

It's easy for me to say this but I'd still do them since the motor is sitting my lap. A few hundreds of dollars to get a few thousand dollar motor healthy is worth it in my opinion and you could enjoy the car without worry. Just my opinion! Following closely on this
Jump to top EnVe46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Apr-10-2017, 11:03:57 AM   #46
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloTheGod View Post
I'll send off an oil sample but I don't think I can justify spending hundreds of dollars on S65 rod bearings when the motor is only going to be in for a few months. I'll pull a car fax on the VIN it came from and see if the bearing recall was done. I have a feeling it probably was.

Maybe I'm still a little upset over my last rod bearing job blowing up in my face... literally...
Was there a bearing recall on the S65?

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, Wife's 6mt NA RWD e91, 04 M3 wagon
Past cars: 04 M3, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Apr-10-2017, 12:05:50 PM   #47
BTB

In the garage:

United States

That S54 damage is pretty gnarly... so you got the car with spun bearings, replaced them, and then it went boom? Are you just gonna part out the head and rest of the engine?
Jump to top BTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Apr-10-2017, 12:09:43 PM   #48
BTB

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
Was there a bearing recall on the S65?
I don't recall ever hearing about an S65 recall either...

I thought the S65 (all of them) had super tight tolerances which made them extra sensitive to bearing failures... kinda worried considering I see people getting new bearings on pretty low mileage cars and my dads is coming up on 70k
Jump to top BTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Apr-10-2017, 03:53:04 PM   #49
M3_#67

In the garage:

United States

Didn't the S65s starting with 2011switch to the Tin bearings? Meaning the oil analysis is useless?
Jump to top M3_#67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Apr-10-2017, 05:13:03 PM   #50
ApolloTheGod

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_#67 View Post
Didn't the S65s starting with 2011switch to the Tin bearings? Meaning the oil analysis is useless?
That is absolutely correct. The new bearing material does not show on a conventional oil analysis but truth be told physics and laws about conservation of energy tell us that the material does not just disappear so a more advanced analysis WOULD show the material present, but I digress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTB View Post
I don't recall ever hearing about an S65 recall either...

I thought the S65 (all of them) had super tight tolerances which made them extra sensitive to bearing failures... kinda worried considering I see people getting new bearings on pretty low mileage cars and my dads is coming up on 70k
This engine is at about 74k. You guys are getting me to want to do rod bearings now and I just might. The paranoia from my S54 is setting in now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTB View Post
That S54 damage is pretty gnarly... so you got the car with spun bearings, replaced them, and then it went boom? Are you just gonna part out the head and rest of the engine?
I figured it spun as the tabs on the back of the shell are missing. I got a rod knock, tore it down and did the rod bearings to spec and then ran the car and pretty fast threw the rod and piston for cylinder 5. I knew by the damage of the cylinder 5 rod bearing the engine might not last. I was hoping it would hold up but I was mistaken and made a poor judgement call. In hindsight I should not have done this and just had it rebuilt or sold it before I put holes in the block. I'll say it's a lesson learned for certain.

I probably would not have pushed myself to go pick up this used S65 to get the show on the road sooner if I had not blown the S54 so at least in the spirit of a timely project this may have been good for all of us. If this was some crazy engine like an F136FL or something I probably would not have even done rod bearings but rebuilt it on the spot.

That brings up another point, for anyone reading this or lurking I just bought an F136E long block. I was debating doing something with it sometime in some car I don't have yet