BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Thu, Apr-20-2017, 11:46:08 AM   #121
LockDots

United States

Default Re: My 98 Dakar Yellow "build" thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schweeeebs View Post
I have a wiring problem. The coolant temperature sensor plug is shorting somewhere with my headlights harness. Whenever I plug the grey wire from the relay to the black/grey wire, my passenger headlight comes on and the aux fan comes on...

Also measured voltage on the 3 wires of the coolant temp sensor. All 3 have 12 volts. Even the ground (brown wire)

Got to figure how to fix this, will probably have to strip the harness that goes from the the coolant temp sensor and work my way up until I find the problem. If not bring it to a shop to get the problem fixed.

Any other suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Which connection are you talking about? The 3 pin connector that goes into the side of the radiator is actually a switch that triggers the low and high speed relays for the Aux fan. The actual temp sender is screwed into the head under the intake manifold. I'm not positive but I believe that one is 4 pin.

As for the 3 pin connection, you definitely should not have 12V on the ground pin. The other two you may or may not (I'm not positive ...no pun intended), but they should only receive ground when triggered by the fan switch screwed into the radiator.
Old Sat, Apr-22-2017, 07:10:01 AM   #122
Schweeeebs

In the garage:

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDots View Post
Which connection are you talking about? The 3 pin connector that goes into the side of the radiator is actually a switch that triggers the low and high speed relays for the Aux fan. The actual temp sender is screwed into the head under the intake manifold. I'm not positive but I believe that one is 4 pin.

As for the 3 pin connection, you definitely should not have 12V on the ground pin. The other two you may or may not (I'm not positive ...no pun intended), but they should only receive ground when triggered by the fan switch screwed into the radiator.

I'm talking about the 3pin connection on the side of the rad.

I believe high speed aux fan relay is fried which could be the cause of the fans always running when everything is set up. I purchased a new one and will swap it when I have the time. If that doesn't fix it, I will buy the Mishimoto fan controller kit which comes with it's own temperature sensor.

Other the. That car runs well, the coolant temp is just a bit under the middle since I'm running aluminum rad and a better water pump.

I also raised the car 1 inch in front and will raise the back 1 inch.

Can't wait to finish it up and finally enjoy it a bit !

Jump to top Schweeeebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Apr-22-2017, 07:15:56 AM   #123
Schweeeebs

In the garage:

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Stang View Post
NEVER buy URO parts. I buy all my maintenance stuff form FCP and buy my performance stuff from ECS. Did you use any RTV on the housing? Assuming you went aluminum? Ive read that the aluminum ones need RTV since they are never perfect even if you have the orange gasket in them. Not 100% sure though.

What is rtv ? Silicone ?

I didn't use any, initially wanted to buy the paper gasket that came with the plastic housing but that part is discontinued from the dealer. It's not leaking, so not putting anything else to seal it better.

I bought everything from ECS. They sell the uro housing. I bought it since the uro one was the only aluminum one they offer !

Lesson learned I guess !

Old Sat, Apr-22-2017, 01:46:07 PM   #124
LockDots

United States

It's hit or miss. I had the Uro housing in my last car and in my current one. No problems so far. However I've heard of others having to sand them flat a bit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Old Wed, May-03-2017, 02:30:21 PM   #125
Schweeeebs

In the garage:

Canada

Default My 98 Dakar Yellow "build" thread

So I've been pretty busy but managed to work on my car.

Discovered that the aux fan was hooked up to the headlights. Why ? Maybe used to turn the aux fan on when you turn the headlights on. Why ? I really don't know, seems like a very weird thing to do.

Anyways, I hooked the electric fan to the aux fan. When the aux fan turns on at low speed, so does the rad fan. When the aux fan is on at high, the rad fan is on at high.

Drove the car a couple of miles and cooling system seems to be ok, approaching the middle of the gauge but doesn't quit get to the middle. Sits a tad under.

I am at the point of raising the car. Already raised the front by close to 1''. I will also raise the back 1''.

Only big thing left to do will be the steering rack.

Sitting next to my current daily drive :

Getting some work done :

Last edited by Schweeeebs; Wed, May-03-2017 at 02:39:46 PM.
Old Wed, May-03-2017, 02:32:20 PM   #126
Schweeeebs

In the garage:

Canada

Quote:
It's hit or miss. I had the Uro housing in my last car and in my current one. No problems so far. However I've heard of others having to sand them flat a bit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
The housing is straight, the groove where the silicone gasket goes in is to deep at one point and wont seal perfectly when tightened. No big deal.
Old Wed, May-03-2017, 02:37:31 PM   #127
LockDots

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schweeeebs View Post
The housing is straight, the groove where the silicone gasket goes in is to deep at one point and wont seal perfectly when tightened. No big deal.
Gotcha, you could always try filling it in with something before putting the gasket on if it really bothers you.

As for the temp needle, I wouldn't sweat it. If you're really worried, get an OBD2 Bluetooth reader and monitor the coolant temp. The stock temp gauge is so buffered it's beyond inaccurate.
Old Wed, May-03-2017, 02:43:58 PM   #128
Schweeeebs

In the garage:

Canada

Quote:
Gotcha, you could always try filling it in with something before putting the gasket on if it really bothers you.

As for the temp needle, I wouldn't sweat it. If you're really worried, get an OBD2 Bluetooth reader and monitor the coolant temp. The stock temp gauge is so buffered it's beyond inaccurate.

I just used the old housing with new gaskets. No leaks.

As for the temp, I'm not worried about. Whole cooling system is brand new with quality parts. Coolant is flushed with bmw coolant and running 50/50 mix.

Old Wed, May-03-2017, 03:34:57 PM   #129
LockDots

United States

Perfect
Old Tue, Jun-20-2017, 12:33:29 AM   #130
Schweeeebs

In the garage:

Canada

Been taking the car out for a couple of drives and cooling temp is right where it should be.

Got the steering rack rebuilt and got her aligned.

I can finally enjoy driving it !

Couple of events with some other M3ís

Freshly cleaned interior

Sitting in my driveway next to my daily.